• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rule V Draft

ettin

So in all this off-season madness involving the Angels it may have been easy for some of you to forget that the Rule V Draft starts tomorrow.

To preface this I don't think that the Angels, with one roster spot left, will grab anyone. They probably have that spot saved for a 3B so this is more of a philosophical discussion rather than anything we should get remotely curious about.

All that being said there are a handful of Rule V eligible guys that might make sense for the Halos. Please note that these are just some of my personal favorites and does not constitute a complete list:

• RHP Burch Smith (SP/RP)
  • C Nick Ciuffo (LHH)
  • RHP Adam Cimber (RP)
  • RHP Joey Krehbiel (RP)
  • LHP Rob Kaminsky (RP on the DL for 2018)
  • LHP John Means (SP)
  • RHP Kevin McAvoy (SP)
  • LHP Dedgar Jimenez (SP)
  • C Dom Nunez (LHH)
  • LHP Trey Ball (RP)
  • LHP Jordan Guerrero (RP)
  • RHP Cole Sulser (RP)
  • RHP Daniel Gonzalez (SP)
  • RHP Brendan McCurry (RP)
  • RHP Jake Cosart (RP)
  • OF Wes Rogers (RHH)
  • RHP Brad Markey (RP)
  • RHP Paul Voelker (RP)
  • RHP Shane Broyles (RP)
  • RHP Pedro Araujo (RP)
  • MIF Travis Demeritte (RHH)

I could see a small possibility of Eppler grabbing a pitcher for the bullpen or a backup left-handed hitting catcher to grab those approximate 27 games behind Maldonado and provide a bench bat against RHP.

However with all of the money we have available the Angels can probably go buy these assets if they really wanted too so the Rule V Draft will probably creep by tomorrow with no mention of the Angels (although I have a feeling the Tigers and Reds will be active).

Just now, Cdaniel said:

Riley Unroe has position flexibility.  Here is your Utility guy Tots.  Riley can handle SS, 2B and CF.

https://rayscoloredglasses.com/2016/01/04/rays-top-50-prospects-number-25-riley-unroe/

He was taken in the minor league portion though, so we don't have any real need to keep him on the 25-man, so I imagine we're still seeking someone who can do that for the big league club. Still, Unroe could grow into that as the year goes on.

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

He was taken in the minor league portion though, so we don't have any real need to keep him on the 25-man, so I imagine we're still seeking someone who can do that for the big league club. Still, Unroe could grow into that as the year goes on.

Thanks for the clarification.  I just saw we picked him up.

The rule 5 draft is an effective tool if you know how to use it. If you're looking to score a starting position player, you'll probably swing and miss. If you're looking for a starting pitcher, it's iffy. If you're looking for an upside reliever though, this is the place to do it.

Bard is the best possible selection here.

15 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

The rule 5 draft is an effective tool if you know how to use it. If you're looking to score a starting position player, you'll probably swing and miss. If you're looking for a starting pitcher, it's iffy. If you're looking for an upside reliever though, this is the place to do it.

Bard is the best possible selection here.

Derrick Turnbow, 2000.....Never quite developed with the Angels but had one really good year with the Brewers....was a good pick by Stoneman...

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/t/turnbde01.shtml