• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Maldonado's Presence

Chuck

Been extremely impressed with Maldonado so far. I think we're going to see a little advantage with the league being unfamiliar with him for awhile too. He's gonna pick off a few more guys than usual and maybe bop out a couple more HR's, and as this happens for awhile, you'll probably see opponents try and over-correct at some point and hold off running/advancing before they get a better feel for him. 

And I've never really been able to see the whole pitch-framing thing until now. Maybe it's just because I'm looking for it more and I have some perception bias going into his performance, but it seems like he gets more calls.

Angels pitching so far 3.46 ERA (7th in AL), 1.10 WHIP (2nd), .218 BAA (5th), 51 strikeouts (2nd). Again, only 6 games, but that's a big turnaround from last year already.

5 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

I even like the way Cron 's defense has improved. i can't remember a player improving so much in such a short amount of time. The only weak link defensively is Escobar. The only part of the team that scares me at this point is the starting pitching.

Escobar has looked a lot better defensively so far. Cron definitely has improved.

Maldonado spent several seasons in the shadow of Lucroy. Pretty big shadow. But he never let it affect his catching game. Now Maldonado is the Angels' lead dog behind the plate. One of the Angels catchers might get a gold glove this season. Perez almost got one last season. Ain't no weak spots at catcher on this team.

4 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Carlos Perez' arm pales in comparison to Maldonado's. 

Already evident from that SB from Segura in today's game.

Maldonado's is better but Perez has a great arm too. Perez was one of the most prolific backpickers to 1B (and Maldonado is too). Carlos had the quickest pop time with a backpick in the Majors last year: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/instagraphs/2016-catcher-back-pick-data/

Click on the 'raw data' link, filter it, and sort by pop times.

1 hour ago, ettin said:

Maldonado's is better but Perez has a great arm too. Perez was one of the most prolific backpickers to 1B (and Maldonado is too). Carlos had the quickest pop time with a backpick in the Majors last year: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/instagraphs/2016-catcher-back-pick-data/

Click on the 'raw data' link, filter it, and sort by pop times.

You should see my pop times, @ettin

ice slip breakdancing break dancing b boy GIF

5 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Carlos Perez' arm pales in comparison to Maldonado's. 

Already evident from that SB from Segura in today's game.

I do think Maldonado's instincts in game situations are a bit better than Perez. I seriously think the Angels might consider an extension for Martin.

Maldonado has solid value defensively and as a student of the game. He picks up on little things with pitchers. That is a tremendous asset, with all of the pitching questions we enter the season with.

Going into the season, I was seriously concerned that Mike Scioscia was going to talk Billy Eppler into signing Jeff Mathis again. Mathis isn't the defensive catcher that Maldonado is, and hitting isn't even in the discussion.

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Richard said:

Bump

This is why I don't care about losing Jett Bandy and why everyone assuming the worst when trades happen are silly. It's also one more reason to trust Eppler and real understand the decisions made now are much different than the decisions under Dipoto.  If the decisions are different, then the direction is different, which is a good thing.