• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Winter Meetings Recap Day 3

Second Base

I'm very hesitant to give up my first round pick for a poor defensive 2nd base man.

If the plan for the Angels is to go all in and compete each of the next five Trout years, there's a good chance that 2016 #20 draft pick isn't going to contribute to the MLB team for most of those 5 years.

I absolutely understand the team needs to start rebuilding the farm, but with so many holes to fill this offseason and so many FA's with draft picks attached, it's more or less inevitable we are going to be surrendering that pick, and the MLB draft can be such a crapshoot none of us can say that first or second rounder will be anymore of a slam dunk than a fourth or sixteenth rounder.

With that said, if they go the route I mentioned, they don't need to trade any SPs for help. They can keep them all and start some in AAA/pen. Those pitchers can be turned into prospects during Spring Training or the season next year as other teams lose pitchers to injury. And having that depth will only help us. That'll offset the loss of a pick, and give us players that may actually contribute during the Trout years. 

We can focus on building the farm the next two or three years, as the team above is pretty much set and under contract 2016-2018.

It's a pretty boring plan, but we were in it until the last game last year with a team that performed well below what was expected. That team above is still pretty young, consistent, and built around defense and a good, cheap rotation. Also lets us stay in play for 2018 FA class that could be huge.

Edited by totdprods

Totdprods' thought is intriguing.

I worry about Span coming off of hip surgery in his early 30s though.

Without that, he is significantly more desirable than Revere, who has a terrible arm and takes questionable routes.

Span playing left instead of center, especially with Trout in center and Andrelton at short, definitely allows him to play a bit more conservatively. He's been a very steady on-base guy, and even if he doesn't return to a massive SB threat, he'd be an asset.

Also, players like Freese, Span, Murphy - they won't have exorbitant contracts attached, so if we someone like Cowart, Kubitza, Baldoquin, Johnson, Yarbrough or the current A/AA MIFers wind up developing, those guys can be turned around for some salary relief. They'd be much easier to move than someone like Upton/Cespedes.

If the plan for the Angels is to go all in and compete each of the next five Trout years, there's a good chance that 2016 #20 draft pick isn't going to contribute to the MLB team for most of those 5 years.

I absolutely understand the team needs to start rebuilding the farm, but with so many holes to fill this offseason and so many FA's with draft picks attached, it's more or less inevitable we are going to be surrendering that pick, and the MLB draft can be such a crapshoot none of us can say that first or second rounder will be anymore of a slam dunk than a fourth or sixteenth rounder.

With that said, if they go the route I mentioned, they don't need to trade any SPs for help. They can keep them all and start some in AAA/pen. Those pitchers can be turned into prospects during Spring Training or the season next year as other teams lose pitchers to injury. And having that depth will only help us. That'll offset the loss of a pick, and give us players that may actually contribute during the Trout years. 

We can focus on building the farm the next two or three years, as the team above is pretty much set and under contract 2016-2018.

It's a pretty boring plan, but we were in it until the last game last year with a team that performed well below what was expected. That team above is still pretty young, consistent, and built around defense and a good, cheap rotation. Also lets us stay in play for 2018 FA class that could be huge.

I agree with this. We need to set the direction for the Trout years now. We can start rebuilding the farm over the next few years when the FA class isn't as strong and we won't be sacrificing picks. However, I'd rather get one of the big name LF--even if it means giving up a draft pick. Then the draft pick attached to Murphy doesn't really matter. Roll with Cowart/Kubitza at 3b.

I get the feeling reading a lot of these posts and the trailing comments that people are so anxious to have ANYTHING happen of substance that, if it doesn't happen right now, we will not do anything.  Isn't judging an offseason on what's happening at the winter meetings a bit like judging a movie based on its extended trailer?  

I don't like the Andrelton trade in context of what was given up and what we currently have but open to change that opinion once all moves are made and I think its a little early for the "Eppler's on his XBox a la Stoneman" takes.  Fact is the last two significant offensive contracts we've entered into - Pujols and Hamilton - have sucked major donkey balls so I will defer to the ivy league educated, AL East tempered expert on this one and assume due diligence is being paid.  Looking at the Free Agent tracker so far I'm seeing guys we didn't need and/or wouldn't have a shot of signing (Price, Greinke), the usual overreaction overpay (Samardzija), a typical Tigers FA signing (Zimmerman), a dude that would have been nice but really was signing only one place (Zobrist), a "Holy Sh!t Why?" signing (Madson), and some expensive deals for relievers (Soria, O'Day).  So far, there hasn't been a move I thought "that was THE move that we missed" but I guess we'll see. 

I'm nervous about Span, hip surgery is no joke. His speed may be gone completely

It'll bring his price down. Simmons, Trout, and moving left will ease him back in and limit the ground he's used to covering. Even if he's not a big SB threat he brings average and walks into the lineup.