• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MWAH's Plan for Angels

Second Base

I don't think the Angels need to do much this off-season. My four moves, while staying close to the tax threshold: (1) sign one of Peavey, Liriano, or McCarthy. I would assume 3/30 would be competitive for either. (2) Bring back Grilli. Bullpen options would be Street, Smith, Jeppy, Morin, Pestano, Grilli, Sally, Rasmus, Bedrosian, Gott. Plenty of depth there. (3) Get a solid lefty reliever. Trade Sally or Jeppy if need be. (4) find a fast, great defending fourth outfielder.

That really isn't a very hard off-season. Dipoto ought to be able to do at least the first three things.

If the luxury tax isn't a serious concern, I'd go this route: (1) sign Scherzer or Lester. Avoid Shields. (2) If Scherzer/Lester exceed 6/150, sign one of Peavey, Liriano, or McCarthy. (3) Sign Andrew Miller. (4) Sign Russell Martin, then trade Chris Ianetta. (5) Sign Grilli or a comparable power arm for the pen. (6) Acquire a good fourth outfielder.

I imagine the luxury tax is a bit of a concern, and I just can't picture the Angels bringing Grilli back when he should receive opportunity to close elsewhere and earn more money.  That Vinnie Pestano trade looks like a solid move on Dipoto's part and he seems like a very good guy to slot in the 6th or 7th.  Jairo Diaz could be really special in that role too. 

Personally, I think I'd sign Peavy, send Wilson into into the bullpen as a lefty reliever, trade Kendrick for a good prospect and slot Grant Green in at 2B.  Keep the rotation being Weav, Richards, Shoemaker, Peavy and Santiago with Rasmus as the long man in the pen.  Use whatever pitching prospect they get back as well as Sean Newcomb as high end SP depth.  Once Alex Yarbrough is ready, stick him at 2B and decide whether Green goes to 3B, SS or DH. 

I feel Street, Smith, Jepsen, Morin, Wilson, Pestano, Diaz and Rasmus could do some special things for the Angels next season. 

The Giants could be a matchup for a Freese trade if they lose Panda.

Andrew Susac could be a starting catcher on most teams that don't already have Buster Posey, and acquiring him might allow a trade of Iannetta for other pieces.

I still think going over the luxury tax for Lester (and ONLY Lester as far as the "Big Three" are concerned) is the best way to ensure that this team stays competitive for the next couple of years. He's a fly ball pitcher (to go with Weaver) who can get the ground ball when necessary, and he should still be a near ace for the next 3 or so seasons and still good for a handful of seasons after that.

Freese doesn't have much trade value at all. Why would Boston give up 6 years of a potential 3/4 starter and a useful utility player for 1 year of a league average 3B?

I do love the idea of McCarthy being brought on board, however. I've been advocating signing him for the past few weeks now. Solid #3 guy that fits perfectly in this rotation. 

Edited by Angels_Baseball

The Giants could be a matchup for a Freese trade if they lose Panda.

Andrew Susac could be a starting catcher on most teams that don't already have Buster Posey, and acquiring him might allow a trade of Iannetta for other pieces.

I still think going over the luxury tax for Lester (and ONLY Lester as far as the "Big Three" are concerned) is the best way to ensure that this team stays competitive for the next couple of years. He's a fly ball pitcher (to go with Weaver) who can get the ground ball when necessary, and he should still be a near ace for the next 3 or so seasons and still good for a handful of seasons after that.

I love the idea of trading for Susac. I'm pretty sure Angels would have to give up more than just Freese tho