• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Scioscia teams lose in the playoffs in the most bizarre ways

I swear, the most bizarre things happen to the angels in the playoffs.

Some if it is poor decision making, some it seems like bad luck borne of an uptight team. 

Like in the 04 ALDS, all year saying that we don't need a lefty reliever, and then putting washburn in against Ortiz and witnessing that walk off.

Then in the  05 ALCS, keeping that 3rd string catcher in the game in the latter stages of game 2, and he doesn't ensure AJ Pierzynksi is out. 

Then in 08, I think it was Game 4 in Boston, Sosh calls for that dumb sac bunt play. We seriously could have won that series. 

Then in 09, Figgins and Aybar acting like idiots letting that ball drop between them. Bizarre shit like that was just a harbinger of bad things to come, like the Arod opposite field homer in the rain in Game 2. 

Then ah, in this ALDS, making Calhoun bunt on a 3-1 and popping it up. Then Cowgill losing his mind on that Ianetta pop-up.

After 10 years of this, all I can really say is that Mike makes some horrible decisions come playoff time, mostly trying to do things that he never tried during the regular season. Then, this is compounded by our players turning into complete boneheads - whether its nerves or not, in the big games. 

I seriously do not see teams lose like this. Teams do choke (see Oakland, or the Reds against the Giants in the 2012 NLDS), or slowly lose their grip on a series, but the way these angels do it is just bizarre. 

The Cardinals continue to have success and get to the postseason after replacing a HOF manager. How can it be? It's unpossible!!!

They a) don't sign other teams' aging stars to big deals, B) believe in a strong farm system, and c) emphasize a balanced approach.

All of these are foreign to Angry Arte.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Very few Angels over the last decade have had the tools to execute bunts and stolen bases effectively, or even comfortably, for that matter. 

Why on earth do you burden them even more in a high stress situation?  This reeks of the disconnect in corporate America where management has no clue what their employees are up against.  Scioscia still doesn't have a clue all these years later. 

I was thinking about all those bizarre plays in past post seasons before this year's playoffs began and was hoping to not see these weird plays come up again...and of course here they come again.  I don't get it!  I do think you create your own luck by putting yourself in situations that can leave you vulnerable to this shit.  MS is not applying logic to some of his decision making.

I'm ready for a change. What's the point of kicking ass in the regular season, just to go out and look like a bunch of punks on national TV in October?

scioscia is like mauch, a panic artist. And the team takes on the same attitude, playing scared, making dumb mistakes and decisions. Being asked to do things they aren't used to and shouldn't be, getting out managed by Ned freaking Yost. When the stage gets big, this team comes up small.

yeah the offense didn't hit. Why is that? Their approach completely changed, no patience, no working the count. Trying to win the game with every swing. Running into needless outs, and of course the usual awful luck that follows this organization around.

watching this team in the playoffs is tiring. Its not enjoyable, there's not a whole lot of fun, and it usually ends in some agonizing fashion. I'm ready for a new direction. No more tipping caps, no more non-answers in press conferences, no more lying down and taking our place as that other LA team.

They a) don't sign other teams' aging stars to big deals, B) believe in a strong farm system, and c) emphasize a balanced approach.

All of these are foreign to Angry Arte.

Ummm...you need to retract your statement. Arte is from Arizona I believe... :P

The Angels won this game but in '08 when the fly ball dropped between Hunter and Kendrick and cleared the bases. It would have been the third out.

Kazmir not being able to throw to first base that blew game 6 wide open.

Of course Kole can't cleanly field the single which allows the runner to advance to second and help score the only run the Royals would get for ten innings.

I get that errors and mistakes happen but for them to so consistently occur in every playoff series it seems is so damn frustrating. It seems to happen on the field for defense and on the base paths for offense. If we are lucky enough to be getting on base.

I swear, the most bizarre things happen to the angels in the playoffs.

Some if it is poor decision making, some it seems like bad luck borne of an uptight team. 

Like in the 04 ALDS, all year saying that we don't need a lefty reliever, and then putting washburn in against Ortiz and witnessing that walk off.

Then in the  05 ALCS, keeping that 3rd string catcher in the game in the latter stages of game 2, and he doesn't ensure AJ Pierzynksi is out. 

Then in 08, I think it was Game 4 in Boston, Sosh calls for that dumb sac bunt play. We seriously could have won that series. 

Then in 09, Figgins and Aybar acting like idiots letting that ball drop between them. Bizarre shit like that was just a harbinger of bad things to come, like the Arod opposite field homer in the rain in Game 2. 

Then ah, in this ALDS, making Calhoun bunt on a 3-1 and popping it up. Then Cowgill losing his mind on that Ianetta pop-up.

After 10 years of this, all I can really say is that Mike makes some horrible decisions come playoff time, mostly trying to do things that he never tried during the regular season. Then, this is compounded by our players turning into complete boneheads - whether its nerves or not, in the big games. 

I seriously do not see teams lose like this. Teams do choke (see Oakland, or the Reds against the Giants in the 2012 NLDS), or slowly lose their grip on a series, but the way these angels do it is just bizarre. 

In 08 are you referring to the failed squeeze bunt whiffed on by Aybar? I'm still mad about that.