• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How many more games do you think the Angels will win without Vernon Wells?

ScottT

How many more games do you think the Angels will win without Vernon Wells?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. How many more games do you think the Angels will win without Vernon Wells?

Is that the best you can do? I guess the Yankees should of just inserted one of their minor league players instead of making the trade for Wells according to you.

btw I did say, I thought the trade was good for the Angels.

to actually answer your question, I couldn't care less what the Yankees plan is.  If they hope to catch lightning in a bottle a get Vernon Wells c. 2006 then good for them.  I am, however, jaded because I'm a big fan of letting young guys get a chance when aging vets play poorly and are inserted in the lineup because of history and money as opposed to production.  I also like Kole Calhoun and would rather watch him play than Vernon. 

Is that the best you can do? I guess the Yankees should of just inserted one of their minor league players instead of making the trade for Wells according to you.

btw I did say, I thought the trade was good for the Angels.

If I was a Yankees fan, I would probably prefer someone like Melky Mesa in the OF picture for the league minimum as opposed to Wells for 13 million over the next 2 years.

I don't really look at it that way.  I am not sure losing Wells helps or hurts this team.  I generally don't think it is good to have high paid veterans riding the bench.  Who knows if Kalhoun could step into the 4th/5th outfielder spot.  If not then it is Trumbo and you have someone else as the DH.  He was part of our depth either way you look at it, it is not clear that we have someone better.

This move was all about the money.

yes.  it's the best I can do.  will you be my troll mentor and teach me how to be more inflammatory and annoying? 

Guys like you can't stand it if someone disagrees with them ... much like LT, they resort to name calling. Calhoun has never come close to hitting .230 at the ML level and what makes you think he is a defensive improvement over Wells? Calhoun must be tearing it up in ST, right?

Personally I was never on the Wells bandwagon much like you guys (LT) where trying to convince fans here of the value in him when traded.

I do believe it weaken the depth of the outfield but money wise it was a smart move for the team.

Guys like you can't stand it if someone disagrees with them ... much like LT, they resort to name calling. Calhoun has never come close to hitting .230 at the ML level and what makes you think he is a defensive improvement over Wells? Calhoun must be tearing it up in ST, right?

Personally I was never on the Wells bandwagon much like you guys (LT) where trying to convince fans here of the value in him when traded.

I do believe it weaken the depth of the outfield but money wise it was a smart move for the team.

Who resorted to name calling here? Seems to me you're the one that's upset because someone is disagreeing with your reasoning or lack there of. 

I don't mind if people disagree with me.  It happens all the time.  I am married.

I made a relatively reasonable response to one of your posts and your reply was that I made no sense and I should get a grip on reality. 

I responded in kind but should have taken the high road. 

Agree to disagree on Calhoun.  I have seen both him and Vernon play defense and I think Calhoun is much better.  Spring stat differences between Vernon and Kole mean less to me than potential and the fact that I just like Calhoun's game and as I mentioned, I like seeing young guys get a chance when the production level difference is likely to be negligible.  

For the record, I was not a big fan of the Wells trade but was willing to wait and see how it went.  I didn't think it would be as big of a disaster as it was.    

Calhoun is 25 years old and still hasn't proven he can hit ML pitching. VW played GG defense in his prime ... it's doubtful if Calhoun is a MUCH better defensive player as you say. I also like to see young players get their opportunities but I much rather see the Angels make the playoffs this season.

Bourjos, Trumbo, Calhoun (if he makes the team), and PTBN utilty infielder will all be questions marks going into the season. Let's hope the team stays healthy throughout the season. I'm not convinced this team is as good as the writers are saying right now.

Should be a fun season for all.

Vernon Wells is no longer in his prime and his defense is not what it was. Calhoun plays very good defense, and yes, he's better than Wells is now, much better. 

Having Calhoun as the 4th OF vs Vernon in that role will not keep the Angels from the playoffs. Wells is not a difference maker and it's not close. 

Vernon Wells is no longer in his prime and his defense is not what it was. Calhoun plays very good defense, and yes, he's better than Wells is now, much better. 

Having Calhoun as the 4th OF vs Vernon in that role will not keep the Angels from the playoffs. Wells is not a difference maker and it's not close. 

I have a different opinion ... and Calhoun still hasn't proven he can hit ML pitching at ALL. You probably still believe Brandon Wood is going to be the player you advocated so highly here.

btw VW is a difference maker with his power at the plate.

I have a different opinion ... and Calhoun still hasn't proven he can hit ML pitching at ALL. You probably still believe Brandon Wood is going to be the player you advocated so highly here.

btw VW is a difference maker with his power at the plate.

No pimp, I don't still believe that Wood is going to be the player most of us thought he would be, haven't for some time in fact and have stated as much many times here. But then you have a habit of saying stupid stuff like that. So let's dispense with the bullshit troll.

BTW- VW was no longer a difference maker. The funniest part of your reply to me is I was discussing defensive comparisons between the two, you know, in response to your comments, but your rebuttal is about offense. 

I agree, Wells is a difference maker.

Unfortunately the difference he makes is helping the other team win baseball games.

He doesn't really offer anything special defensively(He's atricious in CF, okay in the corners. Nothing we're going to miss though, because Calhoun is a pretty darn good outfielder) and he's given zero reason for optimism about his ability to hit anymore. He's sucked 2 straight years, 3 of the past 4 years, and 4 of the past 6. And his most recent good year was based heavily on what he did in a hitter friendly home park.

Calhoun doesn't even need to be a particularly good baseball player to be better than what Vernon Wells has shown.

I agree, Wells is a difference maker.

Unfortunately the difference he makes is helping the other team win baseball games.

He doesn't really offer anything special defensively(He's atricious in CF, okay in the corners. Nothing we're going to miss though, because Calhoun is a pretty darn good outfielder) and he's given zero reason for optimism about his ability to hit anymore. He's sucked 2 straight years, 3 of the past 4 years, and 4 of the past 6. And his most recent good year was based heavily on what he did in a hitter friendly home park.

Calhoun doesn't even need to be a particularly good baseball player to be better than what Vernon Wells has shown.

exactly. 

• 1 month later...