• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

November 20: Reserve lists due (Rule 5)

John Smith

They'll of course protect Grichuk.  Berg, they've had so many opportunities already they're probably going to lose him and he's probably going to end up being a good middle reliever somewhere a la Darren O' Day (yes because they're both sidearm).

Tillman and Kelley I think you have to protect because of their upside, but I'm afraid the Angels won't. 

There is just a huge glut of players on the Angels 40-man right now that honestly don't need to be there.  Cowgill, Navarro, Field, Hester, Wall, Gutierrez, Carson.  The Angels may be at 39 players but as an organization it wouldn't hurt if they were down at 32. 

I do agree that there are 40-man spots that could be cleared fairly easily, but I don't know that guys like Kelley or Tillman(who, for all his upside is coming off back to back injury/severe case of walkitis-plagued 6+ ERA seasons) are guys even the Marlins or Astros would keep on their active rosters for an entire season.

Grichuk is an obvious call. Berg is probably worth protecting as well. Beyond that, meh.

Edited by jshep

If anything we might be adding guys via the Rule 5 draft.

Rule 5, if you add someone, they have to stay on your MLB roster for a full year before they become your property right?  If that's the case, I doubt that Angels add anyone.  We already have Blanton that's going to take up one spot.  I don't know if we can handle two spots.

Rule 5 Sneak Peek: Deadline Looms For Clubs To Make 40-Man Additions

http://www.baseballamerica.com/majors/watch-list-for-rule-5-protection/

"

Los Angeles Angels (39)

Extremely Likely Protections: OF Randall Grichuk.

Possible Protections: RHP A.J. Schugel, RHP Kevin Johnson.

Grichuk will likely never live down being the player taken with the pick immediately before Mike Trout, but he’s earned a spot on the 40-man roster in his own right. After a great 2012 season, Schugel would like to forget 2013. But he still has a plus fastball and an adequate changeup, and he generates swings and misses. Johnson generates plenty of groundballs with an average sinker."

Rule 5, if you add someone, they have to stay on your MLB roster for a full year before they become your property right?  If that's the case, I doubt that Angels add anyone.  We already have Blanton that's going to take up one spot.  I don't know if we can handle two spots.

I agree that the Angels are unlikely to add any players through the Rule 5 Draft. The rules have been that way (the player added has to remain on on the  ML roster the entire season) for as long as I can remember. 

And yes, I am asking again.

WTF does this org have against Berg?

How many orgs SHORT on pitching would fail to protect a guy with an ERA of 2.71 and a WHIP of 1.13 in the PCL in 2013? 

Is Dipoto anti-submariner?

What makes Wall and Carson so great, next to Berg?   Their stats in AAA weren't as good.

Edited by Angel Oracle