• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

DirecTV average customer bill tops $102 per month

DirecTV average customer bill tops $102 per month

The average monthly revenue per subscriber in the U.S. increased to $102.37 — breaking into triple digits for the first time â€“ rising 6.2% from a year earlier. DirecTV said the increase was mostly due to higher advanced receiver service fees, price hikes for programming packages, higher fees for a new enhanced-warranty program, as well as higher pay-per-view revenues.

DirecTV CEO Mike White has said the company expects to raise prices again next year. external-link.pngIts most recent price increase, in February 2013, boosted customer bills an average of 4.5%.

i ditched my shit when it jumped to $176. funny because i'll spend that on dumb shit, but am appalled when the jump happened from ~$100. i just thought it was shady when it switched to the higher price without knowing it would take effect.

everything is free on the internet.....live sports, tv shows, etc. no need to keep paying these crazy price increases because x provider wants amc or cbs, etc.

i ditched my shit when it jumped to $176. funny because i'll spend that on dumb shit, but am appalled when the jump happened from ~$100. i just thought it was shady when it switched to the higher price without knowing it would take effect.

everything is free on the internet.....live sports, tv shows, etc. no need to keep paying these crazy price increases because x provider wants amc or cbs, etc.

Agreed, The only thing is blackout restrictions can be a bitch to work around with sports.

My issue is quality viewing. I can rarely find a clear feed on the internet. Usually it's stretched to fit the screen or too small to view clearly. I can do it for events like UFC or a game here or there. But to watch all of my sports/programming on the internet would irk me.

I'm also a high bottom drunk.

sports can be tricky. tv shows are just like regulat youtubes....and no commercials. the hd videos on a quality computer screen are better than tv. with sports, i prefer to be at the pub and have fun with friends, but dig that i could watch chiefs games in bed on my phone without a problem.....x out of the two or three popups and no problems the rest of the game.

also, i pretty much watch stuff on my phone. i wouldnt trust these sites on a computer with adware, spyware, viruses.

I've been thinking of canceling DirecTV just because I find myself not liking TV programming anymore. There are hundreds of channels without anything entertaining or engaging. It's mind numbing.

A proxy to watch local MLB.tv games and Netflix would probably be sufficient for me. If I ever want to rent something that's not on Netflix I'd just use my Apple TV. Cable/Satellite's days are numbered IMO.

its funny, i remember many years ago i was the guy that thought life without cable would be rough and sad i could never do tv online. after the ridiculous att jump in the bill and going over options i started finding shows online to keep up while i found a new service provider only to keep procrastinating because its easier and i keep finding whatever i feel like watching....for free and with no commercials, no less.

i watch maybe 2-4 shows which i can watch at my own pace in better resolution online, we have netflix and hulu, and most of the movies coming out over recent years suck, but we do redbox to wath the questionable or on the fence movies.

I cancelled my Directv about 6 weeks ago...not even sure when because I don't miss it one bit.

I was tired of the little price hikes that added up to alot.  I was tired of hitting the mute button with all the ads.  I was tired of alot of things on tv.

Finally, I sat on my couch, remote in hand, and thought, "I only watch about four things on tv, and I can get them just as easy via the internets or netflix, etc.

I killed my subscription and thought I'd be all over netflix and the other stuff.  But the fact is, I don't even really use the alternatives.  I am getting so much more done without Directv.  I look back and realize I just had the tv 'on' to have the tv 'on.'  It was routine, not entertainment. 

Now, I play a ton of music or use internet radio.  On occasion, I'll stream some live local news (KTLA and KTTV are pretty good for this), but I'm even starting to lose interest in that. 

Thank you for raising your prices Directv.  You helped me kill my tv habit and will save me over $1000 in the next 12 months!

Live sports is the kicker for me.  Now that I have completed my 2 year contract I will probably just suspend my account from April-August and then unsuspend it from September to March so I can watch college football and basketball.  Since we have people over to our house for pretty much every football game and big basketball games I feel the need to have a quality product. 

Being out of market for my sports team has made it much easier to cut the cord for me.

I couldn't possibly care less generally about the Rangers and Astros and even when the Angels do play therm there is an IP workaround for mlb.tv.

Same goes for NBA, and even then, a surprising number of Spurs games are actually available over the air.

Football is football. I'm a Packers fan, but I don't make a ritual out of Sundays.

Netflix + Hulu Plus + XBMC with Navi-X on an HTPC (go ahead and look this one up for yourselves and thank me later) + xbox and all the services available on it such as ESPN + pretty basic cable = sufficient for me, and around $60 a month.

The bad part is all the "discounts" offered to new subscribers while the loyal customers get reamed.

This gripes me, too. New subscribers are being offered whole house DVR for free. I am told that if I want it, the equipment will be $199.

My DTV bill is about $115 per month, and I carry no premium channels and buy no PPV programming. I have three HD receivers (including one HD DVR), the maintenance package and their mid-level program package.

As far as NFL Sunday Ticket, I'm a Jags fan. There is only so much of my team that I can take. I was prepared to sue DTV for giving me a free preview of NFL Sunday Ticket, which compelled me to watch the season opener against Kansas City, causing me great emotional distress.

Being out of market for my sports team has made it much easier to cut the cord for me.

I couldn't possibly care less generally about the Rangers and Astros and even when the Angels do play therm there is an IP workaround for mlb.tv.

Same goes for NBA, and even then, a surprising number of Spurs games are actually available over the air.

Football is football. I'm a Packers fan, but I don't make a ritual out of Sundays.

Netflix + Hulu Plus + XBMC with Navi-X on an HTPC (go ahead and look this one up for yourselves and thank me later) + xbox and all the services available on it such as ESPN + pretty basic cable = sufficient for me, and around $60 a month.

Pac 12 network?

Not even that. I've had DTV and ATT and a few times did the threaten cancel and got new subscriber rates. With the last one, when the ATT one jumped almost 80% I called to cancel and they wanted to give me internet and tv with everything for $100.

Although, I know a few people who seriously cycle through every service and keep getting start up prices.

• 2 weeks later...