• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Lakers Thread

Punk

The problem with chasing Leonard, like all the restricted free agents, is he has to want to leave AND we have to put in an offer that his team won't match. In this instance, I think San Antonio matches anything we offer because he is extremely important to their post-Tim Duncan existence. The other thing is that it doesn't make a lot of sense for a team holding the RFA's rights to just let the player walk without any compensation. They would all be smarter to match and then sign and trade the player. I'd want the head of my GM if he let's talent walk with no return.

In regards to signing both Love and Leonard, we would have roughly $22-24 million after the signing of our draft picks. Definitely not enough to acquire both Love and Leonard (or any other RFA for that matter).

Edited by HaloWHAM!

I'm curious to see if there is any truth to the rumors of Westbrook and Love reuniting in LA. I'd assume the Lakers would have to trade the pick along with Randle for Westbrook. Then signing Love to a deal. Is that even possible with the salary cap? I'm not saying that is the answer, but I'd strongly consider it.

If we traded the top-5 pick and Randle, that would clear around $7 million....bringing our cap space to around $30 million +\-. Westbrook is making roughly $16 million so we could chase Love with the remaining dollars. That would leave us with:

PG. Westbrook/Clarkson

SG. Kobe/Clarkson/Young

AF *Justin Anderson or Rondae Hollis-/Kobe

OF Love/Kelly

C Black/*Robert Upshaw/Sacre

*rookies

That's 10 roster spots. You might still have a mid-level exception or two (things like that) to add a few vets to fill in the gaps and there are capholds covering a D-leaguer or two (basically, rookie minimums) for the end of the bench.  2016 comes and we have Kobe's $25 million to play with plus whatever increase in the cap too.

Edited by HaloWHAM!

Can NBA contracts, under the current cap rules, stagger the yearly salaries and not have the average of the contract factor in?

In other words, could we pay Love less in 2015-2016 and more after that once Bryant retires?

Upshaw is an intriguing early 2nd round pick, if he avoids the off court issues that followed him at Fresno St. and UDub. He is a potential defense game changer in the middle.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Not sure about the contract structuring.  He is due to make $16,744,218 next season so he will be taking a $3 million reduction if he comes.  It would be in Love's best interest to sign either a one-year deal or a multi-year deal with a player opt-out after one year IF he wants to structure a long-term deal based on the 2016-2017 cap.  His max will go up markedly if the cap jumps to the $90 million range as is being projected.

I found this very interesting.  Many of the names I'd love the Lakers to pursue are here:

Top 25 2015 Free Agents, by Wins Above Replacement 

1) Kawhi Leonard........13.19 (RFA) 
2) Draymond Green.....12.77 (RFA) 
3) Khris Middleton.......12.54 (RFA) 
4) DeAndre Jordan......11.84 
5) LaMarcus Aldridge...10.38 
6) Marc Gasol.............10.16 
7) Danny Green..........10.04 
8) Paul Millsap..............9.82 
9) Tyson Chandler.........9.38 
10) Jimmy Butler..........8.74 (RFA) 
11) Kevin Love.............8.71 
12) Luol Deng..............8.22 
13) Wesley Matthews....6.75 
14) Lou Williams..........6.06 
15) Greg Monroe..........6.04 
16) Amir Johnson.........5.37 
17) Thaddeus Young.....5.34 
18) Mike Dunleavy........5.02 
19) Jared Dudley..........4.65 
20) Jeremy Lin.............4.39 
21) Reggie Jackson.......3.96 (RFA) 
22) Demarre Carroll......3.85 
23) Robin Lopez...........3.80 
24) Al-Farouq Aminu.....3.75 
25) Gerald Henderson...3.66

• 2 weeks later...

If Lamarcus Aldridge wanted to become a Laker, I would be extremely pleased.  Why would you not want him Nando?  Especially if we didn't have to give up any assets for him.  Consider this.  Let's say that we sign Aldridge and create enough space to sign SF Danny Green from San Antone.  Maybe by trading Nick Young or, worst case, using the stretch provision on him and cutting him.

Then go to the draft and get lucky and get Karl Anthony-Towns (or Willie Cauley-Stein worst case).  Follow that up with Justin Anderson or Rondae Hollis-Jefferson at the Houston pick and someone like George Lucas/Timothe Luwawu with the early 2nd.  New roster:

PG:  Clarkson/Lucas

SG:  Kobe/

SF:  D. Green/Anderson (or R.H.J.)

PF:  Aldridge/Randle/Kelly

C :   Towns/Black/Sacre

This roster has some flexibility as I believe Danny Green and Clarkson could play some 2, Kobe and Randle could likely play some 3, Aldridge could play some 5, etc.  And that would be a pretty good threesome to primarily rotate through the PF and C positions.  Aldridge could space the floor well for Towns.  As well, we could probably fill out the backup SG through a mid-level.  Thinking outside of the box, I wonder if Wesley Mathews would take a mid-level  to return in a Lakers uniform early 2016 and pair with Aldridge IF (BIG IF) his rehab is coming along smoothly.  Promise him a bigger deal with the cap increase of 16'/17'.  That would be sweet to be running out a lineup of Clarkson/Mathews/Green/Aldridge/Towns in 16'/17' and gives plenty of ammo for a Westbrook trade. Hmmm.

I would consider Jimmy Butler and Kostas Koufos (or Butler and Danny Green) a major win in free agency.  Add D'Angelo Russell/Robert Upshaw via the draft (with Upshaw rising might not be able to get him unless we move up by trading the 27 and 34, and even then it's no lock) or Towns/J. Anderson.

Guards:  Clarkson, Kobe, Russell, 

Forwards:  Butler, Randle, Kelly

Centers:  Koufos, Upshaw, Black

OR

Guards:  Clarkson, Kobe, Green

Forwards:  Butler, J. Anderson, Randle, Kelly

Centers:  Towns/Black

Might actually like the first team better.