• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Kids Are Alright

Also worth noting...

Taylor Ward's Baseball Savant is all kinds of red...

image.png

And while Luis Rengifo's is not, he's still hitting a very pleasant .312/.364/.450/.814 while emerging as a pretty solid SB threat (12 for 14).

It'll be nice when Sano and hopefully an improved Drury return.

And as bad as the pitching has been overall, if you look up and down the FIP it seems bad defense/luck have stung them quite a bit too. All of the SP have a FPI under 5.00 now (Canning is right there at 4.99) and of all the active relievers, the only ones standing out as really poor are Moore (5.97) and Suarez (4.73). The rest are sub-4.00 or sub-3.00 even (Strickland, Garcia). 

It seems like they are starting to stabilize a little bit and while I don't think this is a good team, it is starting to look more like a league average team and all things considered, that's a pretty great outcome and bodes well for 2025.

Good stuff, @totdprods!!!

I mentioned on the podcast a couple days ago that it's this young that keeps me interested in this club despite some overall bad baseball which has resulted poorly in the standings. 

Last night's game should excite every Angels fan as it provided a glimpse into what the future could hold for this club. 

We lost Jose Soriano in the Rule-5 draft to the Pirates and thankfully due to the TJ surgery he required we got him back. He's now the future ace of this staff, who clearly has the best stuff in the starting rotation. 

Luis Rengifo and Taylor Ward are two others I'm equally excited about. 

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

And as bad as the pitching has been overall, if you look up and down the FIP it seems bad defense/luck have stung them quite a bit too. All of the SP have a FPI under 5.00 now (Canning is right there at 4.99) and of all the active relievers, the only ones standing out as really poor are Moore (5.97) and Suarez (4.73). The rest are sub-4.00 or sub-3.00 even (Strickland, Garcia). 

It seems like they are starting to stabilize a little bit and while I don't think this is a good team, it is starting to look more like a league average team and all things considered, that's a pretty great outcome and bodes well for 2025.

Team FIP 4.29

Team ERA 4.61

22 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Team FIP 4.29

Team ERA 4.61

They’re really being hurt by the lack of depth offensively (having a certified big bat would go a long way), Detmers, and the back of the bullpen. And some bad luck and not great defense/baserunning. In the grand scheme of things, those aren’t the worst problems to have, and really not many total black holes. 

This is about what I expected though. I don’t think this team is going to be ‘good’ this year, but I wouldn’t be surprised at all if they turned into a really strong team halfway through 2025. A lot will hinge on who they sell and who they get this winter though.

Really awesome to see the young kids doing well.

Also really frustrating how bad the team is despite all this young talent. You could take the Stephenson and Evan White (formerly Fletcher and Stassi) salaries and you're just $5mm off from having Cody Bellinger hitting 4th instead of Willie Calhoun and Kevin Pillar. Or Sonny Gray as the ace. What a different type of team we would be looking at if Perry had used better judgement and discipline with the budget.

Hopefully Arte can find a GM this offseason who can wisely add veteran talent and build a complete roster while we still have all these young kids contributing on cheap deals. 

50 minutes ago, ScottM said:

It will be a very successful season if 3 out of these 4 put up seasons of 100+ OPS+. If all 4 hit it, I will be excited for next year.

I think there is a very strong chance they do that.

I actually could see the entire “starting lineup” ending the year with an OPS+ of 100+. O’Hoppe, Schanuel, Rengifo, Neto, Rendon, Ward, Trout, Adell, and Sano. Obviously some of those guys won’t have played the full season but all of those guys finishing at 100+ OPS+ seems doable, and would be a pretty great starting point for next year.

• 3 weeks later...

The Angels have had the hardest or next to hardest schedule so far. So as bad as the Angels record looks. it is expected. The remainder if the season the Angels have one of the of the easiest schedules. So things are looking good.  The kids will get better from this experience. Maybe even a wild card slot.