• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Detmers no hitter snub

Did it bother anyone else that Reid threw a no hitter and never got anything for it? They didn’t give him a bobblehead or anything at all, but we got like 10 Ohtani and Trout bobbleheads instead. And now they gave the opening day starter spot to Sandoval. The disrespect from this organization toward its players achievements needs to stop.

I have never even thought about this. I will hold a meeting with my collection of Ohtani and Trout bobbleheads to discuss the issue. Of course, the deciding vote may be left to my Jeff Mathis “Pitch Framer of the Decade” bobblehead (sponsored by Aaron Brothers). I shall report back on how they nod their heads.

Also: stop it.

This is a very weird topic.  Honestly, it’s never crossed my mind.

Nor did the question of Sandoval getting the nod to start today.

There is so much more to be concerned about.

3 hours ago, Rf90 said:

Did it bother anyone else that Reid threw a no hitter and never got anything for it? They didn’t give him a bobblehead or anything at all, but we got like 10 Ohtani and Trout bobbleheads instead. And now they gave the opening day starter spot to Sandoval. The disrespect from this organization toward its players achievements needs to stop.

A no-no is its own reward.

If you're honest, none of the Angels starters have "earned" the opening day bid in the traditional sense of designation of staff ace. Reid still needs to build consistency, which he says himself. Giving laurels before they are due is the kiss of death.

Oh, and google "curse of the bobblehead"

23 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I am still furious over the club’s obvious disrespect for Willy Fraser’s two-hitter.

11 minutes ago, Stradling said:

It was a one hitter, I was at the game, and it was a leadoff homer. 

His name was Willie, not Willy, and the hit he gave up was at the start of the 7th inning, not the 1st--so not a true "leadoff" HR in the sense that that word is normally used.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CAL/CAL198808100.shtml

Edited by jsnpritchett

18 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I am still furious over the club’s obvious disrespect for Willy Fraser’s two-hitter.

6 minutes ago, Stradling said:

It was a one hitter, I was at the game, and it was a leadoff homer. 

When I was up in the bay for school, there was a game we went to in which Lackey gave up a leadoff double (I think) and then went on to throw what would have been a perfect game after. I felt like I was the only one in the stadium that even realized it.

The A’s make a bobblehead for the guy that got the hit (Kotsay?)

Just now, jsnpritchett said:

His name was Willie, not Willy, and the hit he gave up was at the start the 7th inning, not the 1st--so not a true "leadoff" HR in the sense that that word is normally used.

Fun note:  I was out drinking beer with Jay Buhner until way too late the night before that game.

1 minute ago, RallyMo said:

When I was up in the bay for school, there was a game we went to in which Lackey gave up a leadoff double (I think) and then went on to throw what would have been a perfect game after. I felt like I was the only one in the stadium that even realized it.

Yep, leadoff double to Kotsay, then retired the next 27:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/OAK/OAK200607070.shtml

5 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

His name was Willie, not Willy, and the hit he gave up was at the start the 7th inning, not the 1st--so not a true "leadoff" HR in the sense that that word is normally used.

3 minutes ago, RallyMo said:

The A’s make a bobblehead for the guy that got the hit (Kotsay?)

This goes to show how my memory has turned to shit. I would have bet anything it was a leadoff homer to start the game. And my memory had it as Jason Kendal getting the hit off Lackey. 

1 hour ago, RallyMo said:

I have never even thought about this. I will hold a meeting with my collection of Ohtani and Trout bobbleheads to discuss the issue. Of course, the deciding vote may be left to my Jeff Mathis “Pitch Framer of the Decade” bobblehead (sponsored by Aaron Brothers). I shall report back on how they nod their heads.

Also: stop it.

Shouldn't your Santana and Weaver No-Hit Bobbleheads have a vote as well?

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

This goes to show how my memory has turned to shit. I would have bet anything it was a leadoff homer to start the game. And my memory had it as Jason Kendal getting the hit off Lackey. 

Yeah my memory had it as a two-hitter, and I was at the game.

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

I'm continually fascinated by faulty memories (including my own!). What I love about them is that, like you, most people are 100% that their recall is accurate. Emotions and nostalgia mess with us all! 

1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

I'm continually fascinated by faulty memories (including my own!). What I love about them is that, like you, most people are 100% that their recall is accurate. Emotions and nostalgia mess with us all! 

I’m guessing I got it confused with the Griffey Jr and Sr home run game, which I believe was a leadoff homer by Jr. another game I was at. 

1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

I’m just happy that the Angels won the 2009 and 2014 World Series titles. It’s made the last 10 years bearable.

3 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

So true.  Until recently I was 100% sure that I hooked up with Christie Brinkley in the Virgin Islands twice a day for about a month in 1980.  But then I found this in a bin in my garage.

IMG_8277.jpeg

Just now, Dtwncbad said:

So true.  Until recently I was 100% sure that I hooked up with Christie Brinkley in the Virgin Islands twice a day for about a month in 1980.  But then I found this in a bin in my garage.

IMG_8277.jpeg

That’s so cool that they did that photo shoot while you were there with her!