• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Who hired Nevin? Arte or Perry?

BTH

From an article in August last year:

“This opportunity I’ve been given, a lot of it goes through Arte,” the interim manager told reporters in St. Petersburg, Fla., where the Angels are in the middle of a four-game series against the Rays. “For the owner to entrust you with the players and his team, it means a lot to me. He’s been great to me. He’s been a great owner for his organization and still is. The six division titles in 20 years. I know people like to focus on the last few years, but he’s been really good to the community. He’s done a lot of great things for this organization. I just think about him and his family, because this is a tough day for him.”

https://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/story/2022-08-23/arte-moreno-angels-sale

1 minute ago, Trendon said:

From an article in August last year:

“This opportunity I’ve been given, a lot of it goes through Arte,” the interim manager told reporters in St. Petersburg, Fla., where the Angels are in the middle of a four-game series against the Rays. “For the owner to entrust you with the players and his team, it means a lot to me. He’s been great to me. He’s been a great owner for his organization and still is. The six division titles in 20 years. I know people like to focus on the last few years, but he’s been really good to the community. He’s done a lot of great things for this organization. I just think about him and his family, because this is a tough day for him.”

https://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/story/2022-08-23/arte-moreno-angels-sale

Uhh Phil, this franchise has been a train wreck since 2016, and the seed was planted in 2008 when Moreno gave the GM job to J. Pierrepont Reagins, a know nothing much like the guy in How To Succeed in Business Without Trying.

47 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Uhh Phil, this franchise has been a train wreck since 2016, and the seed was planted in 2008 when Moreno gave the GM job to J. Pierrepont Reagins, a know nothing much like the guy in How To Succeed in Business Without Trying.

Reagins' hiring allowed Arte and Sosh to make the important decisions. Reagins was the inexpensive figurehead doing the stuff they weren't interested in doing.

Joe Maddon is the guy who picked Nevin to be on his staff. 

When Minasian picked Maddon’s replacement, he picked Nevin from among the candidates on staff. (Obviously Arte had to approve.)

When Nevin got his extension, it was basically just because Arte was selling and it would be tough to get someone else to come into a situation in flux like that. Again, Arte would still have had to approve. 

The quote you highlighted was from the day Arte said he was selling the team so obviously the question was about Arte. The question wasn’t “who picked you as manager?”

48 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

When Minasian picked Maddon’s replacement, he picked Nevin from among the candidates on staff. (Obviously Arte had to approve.)

When Nevin got his extension, it was basically just because Arte was selling and it would be tough to get someone else to come into a situation in flux like that. Again, Arte would still have had to approve. 

The quote you highlighted was from the day Arte said he was selling the team so obviously the question was about Arte. The question wasn’t “who picked you as manager?”

@Jeff Fletcher :  Any feel for how the disappointment of this season might effect Arte's plans, i.e. would he consider re-entering negotiations to sell, or might he double down and go all in next year?  I realize those are two extremes so the reality might be, and probably will be, in between. But, if those are your options, which way would you lean now?

1 hour ago, DMVol said:

@Jeff Fletcher :  Any feel for how the disappointment of this season might effect Arte's plans, i.e. would he consider re-entering negotiations to sell, or might he double down and go all in next year?  I realize those are two extremes so the reality might be, and probably will be, in between. But, if those are your options, which way would you lean now?

I don’t think he’s selling anytime soon. I think he’s keeping the team because he loves it. 

26 minutes ago, CaliAngel said:

Arte loves it because it's been a cash cow, but besides the return on his investment, it'd be nice if he knew/loved how to win ballgames.

Cash cow is going to be slaughtered this off-season when the unicorn leaves, the Japanese money dries up (fans and sponsors) and fans decrease dramatically due to the weaker product on the field.  Not to mention the regional sports networks in crisis, and one of the worst farm systems in the game…

it really is sad how we squandered the two Goats

13 minutes ago, Biergott said:

Cash cow is going to be slaughtered this off-season when the unicorn leaves, the Japanese money dries up (fans and sponsors) and fans decrease dramatically due to the weaker product on the field.  Not to mention the regional sports networks in crisis, and one of the worst farm systems in the game…

it really is sad how we squandered the two Goats

Team is apparently worth over 2 billion (I don't see why). Arte paid close to 1/10th of that.

Goat Trout is such a sad wasted shame.

Goat Ohtani we all knew this was coming.

Only the Angels under Arte could ruin the best 2 opportunities of a baseball generation.

5 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Thanks for the insight. I didn’t realize it was Maddon who picked Nevin to be on the staff.

I know Perry was in Texas when Phil played there, so I figured Perry might’ve been behind the move.

Makes me wonder why Perry didn’t pick one of his own guys to be the interim. Not sure how you could expect much to be different with a Maddon guy leading the team.

7 minutes ago, Trendon said:

What’s uninformed about those comments?

The word "uninformed" was my third choice of adjective to describe the statement.   The first two were censored, but painted a much better picture. 

At this point I'll just say that the round about way the statement blamed Nevin for the halos record to date is easily refutable.

2 hours ago, CaliAngel said:

Team is apparently worth over 2 billion (I don't see why). Arte paid close to 1/10th of that.

Goat Trout is such a sad wasted shame.

Goat Ohtani we all knew this was coming.

Only the Angels under Arte could ruin the best 2 opportunities of a baseball generation.

Trout had his chance at the playoffs and had ONE hit the whole series.  At what point is he at least partially responsible for his own fate?  Goat?  lol not even close.  What’s his BA with RISP this year?  Captain Choke doesn’t deserve a WS until he grows up.

8 minutes ago, LaPalma said:

Trout had his chance at the playoffs and had ONE hit the whole series.  At what point is he at least partially responsible for his own fate?  Goat?  lol not even close.  What’s his BA with RISP this year?  Captain Choke doesn’t deserve a WS until he grows up.

Who's better?

13 minutes ago, LaPalma said:

Yea.....a fan

11 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

You made the statement.  Back it up 

What statement did I make?

Tell me specifically what statement I made that “blamed Nevin for the halos record to date.”

I can’t back up a statement I didn’t know I made.