• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Wallach Tipping Pitches

Stradling

3 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Ha.  No, but the way you put it in the first post just read to me like the average person would know who Chaz Long was.

You have more than likely seen him on twitter, I have seen you regularly, and him regularly, because the algorithm puts that shit in front of you.  

13 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Anyone seen Chaz Long on Twitter showing Wallach tipping pitches while catching?  He holds his glove above the strike zone on fastballs and below on off speed stuff. Not sure if this has been talked about, but pretty crazy. 

The most interesting thing to me was the one video against the Astros where you could hear whistling.

If that was repeatedly going on during a game, you’d think the Angels dugout would hear it and recognize there was some problem.

Just now, Trendon said:

The most interesting thing to me was the one video against the Astros where you could hear whistling.

If that was repeatedly going on during a game, you’d think the Angels dugout would hear it and recognize there was some problem.

I missed that, but it wouldn’t surprise me.  I know that there is a trend to catch with one leg down as it helps catchers get the low pitch called a strike.  

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

I missed that, but it wouldn’t surprise me.  I know that there is a trend to catch with one leg down as it helps catchers get the low pitch called a strike.  

the timing is a little off, but there’s a definite whistle

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I know some teams (Baltimore and TB off the top of my head) have adopted a philosophy of having the catcher just set up middle of the plate and lets the pitcher rely on his stuff. I'm hesitant to believe this is an issue since by the time the catcher is set up I don't see how a batter could get that info and adjust his approach fast enough to account for it. Reminds me how you get some little league teams where if someone is on second they try to signal to the batter where the catcher is setting up. This is pretty different from the trash can since they would bang it well before the pitcher started his motion.

24 minutes ago, Trendon said:

It wouldn’t surprise me if he and Thaiss do.

Catcher ERA isn’t perfect, but the eye test says they’re not ideal.

This really isn't surprising. Thaiss started catching at a profession level only two years ago and Wallach is a career AAAA catcher. Pretty sure O'Hoppe's abilities behind the plate have always been his strong suit since being drafted so him handling the pitching staff better isn't much of a surprise.

8 minutes ago, redoctober2002 said:

I know some teams (Baltimore and TB off the top of my head) have adopted a philosophy of having the catcher just set up middle of the plate and lets the pitcher rely on his stuff.

That’s a philosophy to get guys to throw more strikes and get ahead, not necessarily to protect against pitch tipping.

But it’s a good strategy that’s working, and any team that doesn’t adopt that is falling behind.

1 hour ago, Trendon said:

That’s a philosophy to get guys to throw more strikes and get ahead, not necessarily to protect against pitch tipping.

But it’s a good strategy that’s working, and any team that doesn’t adopt that is falling behind.

Definitely fits with what the Angels need. Between starting pitchers and relievers it seems like they must average 6-8 walks per game at minimum. Who needs to get hits when you get free passes to first base. Angels staff are like bad Little League pitchers. They will throw 4 balls before they throw 3 strikes. Pitching coach needs to follow the manager who is in over his head out the door.

7 minutes ago, cjcinec said:

Definitely fits with what the Angels need. Between starting pitchers and relievers it seems like they must average 6-8 walks per game at minimum. Who needs to get hits when you get free passes to first base. Angels staff are like bad Little League pitchers. They will throw 4 balls before they throw 3 strikes. Pitching coach needs to follow the manager who is in over his head out the door.

They average about 3.80 walks per game. 

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

They average about 3.80 walks per game. 

Judging by the recent games it seems like 3.80 per inning but regardless if you’re not throwing strikes then you’re always behind in the count against the players that you’re pitching to. Look at what batting averages are when the counts are 2-0 or 3-1. Totally different story than if you’re pitching ahead in the count. Angels pitching has been terrible between all the walks and the 0-2 meatballs. They need to paint the catchers glove fluorescent orange and get vision testing for the entire staff. They’re atrocious.

Seattle was giving away location with a Runner on Second base quite a few times in the 4 game series. I forgot the hitter and at bat. Thaiss was catching they had a big inning going. He stood up called the last pitch with signals and got in his crouch set up late. And the hitter looked at strike 3 called. With the runner at 2nd.

Astros do it as well.

We use to call 123 and throw to the spot called catcher would setup when we started our motion.