• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The fruits of the minor leagues

Just now, ten ocho recon scout said:

Was watching the game at the gym tonight and was thinking about this, too. 

I have no idea long term if any of these guys are going to work out. But watching Neto got me thinking. It's kind of cool to see a youth movement, especially as some of the Vets scuffle.

I do wonder if this youth movement will come full swing next year, if Ohtani leaves. Jo Adell's own defensive struggles could make him an ideal DH if his AAA performance is to be trusted. Reports indicate his defense has drastically improved though. 

34 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I do wonder if this youth movement will come full swing next year, if Ohtani leaves. Jo Adell's own defensive struggles could make him an ideal DH if his AAA performance is to be trusted. Reports indicate his defense has drastically improved though. 

That would keep me interested in the team, despite losing Ohtani.

Things don’t work out like you hope on paper, but just for fun:

C- O’Hoppe/Thaiss

INF- Walsh/Drury/Rendon/Neto/Rengifo/Soto (Paris?)

OF- Moniak/Trout/Ward/Adell/Cabbage

SP- Sandoval/Detmers/Anderson (Suarez? Bush? Bachman? Crow? Erla? Mederos? Marceaux?)

RP- Estévez/Silseth/Joyce/Yovan/Ingram/Wantz/Soriano/Torres

the waiver wire and minor league FA pool of guys who are actually getting playing time at the major league level for this team is non existent except for out of the pen and even that could change in a heartbeat.   And really it's the only place where it can be used effectively on a year to year basis (not long term).  

Like I said in the other thread about Ward, nobody should get too excited this early. None of these guys were really super prospects... I think ohoppe was maybe?

That said, it's really cool to see Thaiss doing well. After years of scuffling. Is getting a shot and making the most of it. Really stepping up.

Neto is really looking good for a guy who was drafted less than a year ago.

9 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Like I said in the other thread about Ward, nobody should get too excited this early. None of these guys were really super prospects... I think ohoppe was maybe?

That said, it's really cool to see Thaiss doing well. After years of scuffling. Is getting a shot and making the most of it. Really stepping up.

Neto is really looking good for a guy who was drafted less than a year ago.

With Moniak, a lot of the excitement is due to him being the 1st overall pick back in the day. He also just turned 25 so its possible he finally put all the tools together. I agree though, we'll see how it plays out but it's damn fun at the moment.

Seems like an instant of "a broken clock is right twice a day." If a person keeps predicting that the minor league has some jewels in the rough, eventually they'll be right.

Not pointing out anyone in particular, just that a few good recent prospects isn't necessarily indicative of a "functional minor league system" (not to mention that Moniak and O'Hoppe came over in trades). All systems go in cycles, up and down, and regardless of a few good guys now, the overall picture has been rather negative for the Angels - for over a decade. But even mostly barren systems still produce "fruit."

This is not to say that it couldn't be on an upward arc, but just that we're far from it being truly fruitful. If the Angels system was truly functional, it wouldn't be finding its best players outside, and the team wouldn't need to sign guys like Drury and Urshela.

I believe most of minor league success stories are based on the coaching and development structure of the system they came through.

Outside of Trout, the minor leagues had been producing very little true finished talent the last 10 years and that can be traced back to how little emphasis was placed on the farm.

Eppler tried to increase that budget but the methodology lacked an emphasis on winning over process. Minasian has placed winning as part of the instructional core. Teaching players how to win rather than just participate and follow scripts, this creates bigger fish than those small ponds can keep satisfied so they move up in the organization by talent instead of age. 

Drafting talent does no good if they are not developed. If Minasian is allowed to continue to refine that development process you will see a greater return. You will see a farm system ranking improvement.  You will see bigger fish and they won't be because Minasian pulled off a good trade. 

What sort of payoff will that entire draft of pitchers produce? Still relatively early, but the odds are that someone will stand out. 

Seems it was a desperation attempt to jump start a pitching prospect pool. Out of twenty something picks i hope at least three become decent major leaguers.