• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Balancing out the lineup

Obviously, that was Perry's big focus in the off-season after a historically bad 2022. I remember reading somewhere that the 5-9 spots in the Angels' lineup last season were one of the worst, or maybe the worst, ever. So, assuming Rendon would be back and then spending money on Renfroe, Ushela and Drury would hopefully alleviate that problem. I use OPS because the top 6 OPS teams last year were the top 6 in runs scored. The bottom 4 in OPS were the bottom 4 in runs scored. It's pretty obvious that having a good mix of guys that can get on base, and hit for power will result in more runs being scored.

So far, the results have definitely for the better other than Ward's struggles in the leadoff position. Every other position is either about where it was, or significantly improved.

In 2022, the Angels were 22nd in OPS. This season they're 9th so far.

OPS by positions in the batting order 2022 vs. 2023:

1. 8th to 26th (mostly Ward's fault)

2. 2nd to 4th

3. 8th to 11th

4. 15th to 18th

5. 21st to 24th

6. 30th to 8th (29 RBI's 2nd only to TB)

7. 30th to 28th

8. 29th to 2nd (2nd in RBI's with 27. Mostly the catchers here. They've been amazing)

9. 27th to 8th (19 RBI's which leads MLB)

If you think you've been seeing more rallies, you have been. When you're getting run production out of the bottom of the lineup like this, that's inevitable. Last year, I wouldn't even pay attention if Trout and Ohtani were going to batting. Otherwise, I knew the chance of them scoring any runs was virtually nil. This season has been completely different so far. 

This year we have a wRC+ of 99 for our 5-9 hitters which ranks 7th.  

Last year it was 63 and dead last by 11 percent to the next closest.  

Frankly I would argue that they're not even doing as well as they could be with slow starts from Ward, Urshela, Rengifo, Drury.  Lamb isn't very good and Neto is still getting his sea legs although improving as he gets more at bats.  Losing Ohoppe hurts and even though Wallach and Thaiss are doing very well, it's the one area I'm not confident in terms of sustainability at the plate.  

To your point, having someone who isn't a black hole for 5 consecutive spots in the lineup is paying dividends.  

3 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

Losing Ohoppe hurts and even though Wallach and Thaiss are doing very well, it's the one area I'm not confident in terms of sustainability at the plate.  

Yeah, I don’t anticipate the offensive production at catcher to continue.

But, as you said, I anticipate the other guys in the bottom of the lineup to improve their production.

So it should, hopefully, end up balancing out.

The crazy thing is that Ward is struggling (badly), Trout and Ohtani have good numbers but still don't seem like themselves yet, and Rendon is a slap hitter.

In years past, it was wait for those guys, the rest of the lineup a total drag.

Now it's wait for the back of the lineup to bail out the front. It's weird.

Front end needs to wake up. Like Doc said, Thanks and Wallach will go cold, as will Neto, and Renfroe is already cooled off (he'll get hot again). 

3 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

This year we have a wRC+ of 99 for our 5-9 hitters which ranks 7th.  

Last year it was 63 and dead last by 11 percent to the next closest.  

Frankly I would argue that they're not even doing as well as they could be with slow starts from Ward, Urshela, Rengifo, Drury.  Lamb isn't very good and Neto is still getting his sea legs although improving as he gets more at bats.  Losing Ohoppe hurts and even though Wallach and Thaiss are doing very well, it's the one area I'm not confident in terms of sustainability at the plate.  

To your point, having someone who isn't a black hole for 5 consecutive spots in the lineup is paying dividends.  

I didn’t think their wRC+ would have been that high but they seem to be much improved compared to last season. 

This is what it's like to have depth. Weird feeling isn't it? 

1B: Drury, Urshela, Lamb (until Walsh is ready) plus Cabbage in AAA.

2B: Rengifo, Urshela, Drury and Fletcher in AAA.

SS: Neto, Rengifo, Urshela, Drury and Fletcher in AAA.

3B: Rendon, Urshela, Rengifo, Drury

The point is, moving and matching according to opponent and momentum protects the lineup from cratering, which is something they've never had before. And I GUARANTEE that at some point this year, every single name I listed above will either get injured and/or slump. But it's unlikely it'll all happen at once. 

3 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

The crazy thing is that Ward is struggling (badly), Trout and Ohtani have good numbers but still don't seem like themselves yet, and Rendon is a slap hitter.

In years past, it was wait for those guys, the rest of the lineup a total drag.

Now it's wait for the back of the lineup to bail out the front. It's weird.

Front end needs to wake up. Like Doc said, Thanks and Wallach will go cold, as will Neto, and Renfroe is already cooled off (he'll get hot again). 

More to your point about the back end of the lineup, the 2-5 hitters have driven in 77 runs this season. The 6-9 hitters have driven in 82 runs this season, and that's with the 7 spot doing almost nothing (7 RBI's)