• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Games that could have gone either way.

I usually run a bit of a +/- when I think the team is good enough to warrant doing so.  This year I think they are whereas the few years prior I just didn't bother.  The criteria isn't hard and fast but mostly I include games that were stressful till almost the end.  

So far:

Gm 1: -1 (-1)
Gm 4: +1 (0)
Gm 6: +1 (+1)
Gm 7: -1 (0)
Gm 8: +1 (+1)
Gm 9: -1 (0)
Gm 10: -1 (-1)
Gm 11: +1 (0)
Gm 12: +1 (+1)
Gm 13: -1 (0)
Gm 14: -1 (-1)
Gm 15: -1 (-2)
Gm 16: +1 (-1)
Gm 17: +1 (0)
Gm 18: -1 (-1)
Gm 19: -1 (-2) granted this is bit of a stretch, but it was 5-3 going into the 7th.  
Gm 20: +1 (-1)
Gm 21: -1 (-2)
Gm 22: +1 (-1)
Gm 23: -1(-2) Almost want to count this one as -2
Gm 24: +1 (-1)
Gm 26:  +1 (0)
Gm 27: -1 (-1) 

Being -1 isn't that big of a deal if not for the fact that all but 4 of their games have been stressful.   Granted, it's been awhile since they've been good enough to play games where it seemed like we had a chance in most of them but that sure as hell seems like a damn lot.  

I also wanted to point out that 12 of the 13 losses are in that bucket where we could have won.   4 of those losses are scoring 8 or more runs.

This team is capable of a really good run.    The defense is very good with Neto at SS.  Ward has been better in LF than RF.  And while Thaiss doesn't look all that great behind the plate at times, his framing is actually grading out very very well.  The offense can score and only maybe Renfroe is doing better than expected.  Ward has struggled.  Rengifo has struggled.  Took a hot streak from Drury to get him even.  Urshela hasn't been great.  Rendon is swinging a wet noodle.  Lamb just kinda sucks.  Point being that the offense is top 10 (lineup to 5 if you include defense) and not even hitting on all cylinders.  

And the starters have been far less consistent than I imagined.  A couple good and then a couple really bad.  So many more walks than expected.  

The pen is for sure a work in progress but Estevez seems to be getting his sea legs a bit and Moore and Wantz are solid.  We really need a couple guys to step up and have some of those volatile reliever years on the good side.  

One problem with the large number of games that could’ve gone either way is that it is taxing their best relievers.

Estévez and Moore have each pitched 12 times this season.

I know I was complaining about them not being used a lot, but I dove into the numbers and realized that they’re actually being used quite a bit.

They’re on pace to throw 72 games this season, and that’s with the Angels’ usage restrictions in place.

5 minutes ago, Trendon said:

One problem with the large number of games that could’ve gone either way is that it is taxing their best relievers.

I know I was complaining about them not being used a lot, but I dove into the numbers and realized that they’re actually being used quite a bit.

They’re on pace to throw 72 games this season, and that’s with the Angels’ usage restrictions in place.

Yep. 

Good stuff, Doc. While I tend to veer towards statistical answers, what I see is a team lacking in heroics. This general impression is actually somewhat backed by statistics: They're 0-3 in extra innings games, 0-6 in games that they enter the 7th inning from behind, and 8-11 in games that they're within 2 runs (either way) at the start of the 7th inning. Meaning, we're getting very few come from behind wins, and tending to lose close games.

Overall they've played like a slightly above average team that is below average in terms of close/clutch situations, and therefore ends up being...average.

Now this is the sort of thing that can change. It points to either small sample size and/or bad luck, and/or more "old school" factors like grit and clutch performance.

1 hour ago, Trendon said:

The hope may be that Silseth can help out some….but if there is limited confidence in Loup and Tepera, that’s a problem….results in overuse of others….