• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MLBTR - Michael Stefanic is a hidden gem

Second Base

MLBTR used an inflated K/BB ratio against more advanced competition in high minors last year to predict breakouts from guys like Steven Kwan and Isaac Paredes in 2022. 

The first guy they listed for a potential breakout in 2023....Michael Stefanic. 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/11/trying-to-find-hidden-gems-with-bb-k-2022-23-edition.html

I can see where they're coming from. The kid just keeps getting better and better as a hitter, and the PCL doesn't appear to be aiding it at all as he's not hitting for power. The comp to David Fletcher is a noteworthy one, though in a sense I think it's apples and oranges. Fletcher never walked much and is a far superior defender to Stefanic. But the real difference here is opportunity. Fletcher had it. Stefanic will have to get through Fletcher, Rengifo and Urshela to get it. But if he keeps hitting and getting on base, teams will find a spot for him. 

What do you think? Depth fodder or breakout player? An Angel long-term, or someone they can trade? 

I think the angels are far better off platooning gio, Stefanic, rengifo, soto and fletcher while going bigger on left field than relying on moniak and adell.

Nimmo at 3 year 60 structured like so.

3 year 60 million with a 4 million buyout in the 3rd. 18/18/24. So he can get his 20m aav if he’s bought out or the new ownership can bite on 24 in the 3rd year.

Not sure he takes that but it would go a long way in allowing the angels young mif time to develop until Neto is ready. 

I saw that article, which led me to look into Stefanic a little further.

One glaring issue: his average exit velocity last season was in the 1st percentile.

He was also very passive at the plate, taking too many pitches in the zone. If he’s gonna be successful, he’s gonna have to walk that fine 2019 Fletcher/Madrigal line with good contact, low chase rates, and walks.

It also hurts Stefanic in that he’s slow and he’s not a great defender.

I still wish he got more run at 2B/3B last season. Giving him 150-200 more PA’s over Rojas/Gosselin/MacKinnon wouldn’t hurt.

9 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Nimmo at 3 year 60 structured like so.

3 year 60 million with a 4 million buyout in the 3rd. 18/18/24. So he can get his 20m aav if he’s bought out or the new ownership can bite on 24 in the 3rd year.

Not sure he takes that but it would go a long way in allowing the angels young mif time to develop until Neto is ready. 

No chance Nimmo takes that.

He probably gets close to double that.