• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Mark Melancon?

Mark68

If he declined the option then he is likely looking for more.

If he's still available in February I'd absolutely take him but not for more than 5 million. I don't think spending a ton on the bullpen this offseason will be wise. We could get a couple of depth guys for the same amount.

2 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

I I don't think spending a ton on the bullpen this offseason will be wise. We could get a couple of depth guys for the same amount.

Legit could not disagree with this more...
For me this is the top priority.
Even IF we get an ace well still have a group of young arms in the rotation, shortening games will be critical to success.
Have we learned nothing these last few years of clean peanut shopping?

Just now, floplag said:

Legit could not disagree with this more...
For me this is the top priority.
Even IF we get an ace well still have a group of young arms in the rotation, shortening games will be critical to success.
Have we learned nothing these last few years of clean peanut shopping?

You aren't guaranteed a good bullpen by spending. 

8 minutes ago, floplag said:

you aren't guaranteed a rotation either.. spending guarantees nothing in any area.
The pen is simply a better investment in my view. 

And i might add a lot less risk.

I mean we can say spending money on anyone is risky. Which is 100% true. 

The reason I don't want to spend on the bullpen is because relievers are so incredibly fickle. Look at what Hansel Robles did in 2019, then compare that to the rest of his career. They paid him 1.4 million that year to be one of the best relievers in baseball. Then he was horrid the next year.

The only guy I want to spend on is Iglesias because we can't compete without a lockdown closer. Will he suck in 3 years? Probably. 

I agree the bullpen is extremely important, but we need depth, not expensive names.

4 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

I mean we can say spending money on anyone is risky. Which is 100% true. 

The reason I don't want to spend on the bullpen is because relievers are so incredibly fickle. Look at what Hansel Robles did in 2019, then compare that to the rest of his career. They paid him 1.4 million that year to be one of the best relievers in baseball. Then he was horrid the next year.

The only guy I want to spend on is Iglesias because we can't compete without a lockdown closer. Will he suck in 3 years? Probably. 

I agree the bullpen is extremely important, but we need depth, not expensive names.

Our relievers have been fickle. not all relievers are.
WE have done bullpen by cast off for so many years now i dont think we as Angel fans really know what a good bullpen is or how important they are at this point. 
I know what weve done hasnt worked, i know the game is changing moving away from rotation and to the pen, its time we evolve. 

1 hour ago, floplag said:

Our relievers have been fickle. not all relievers are.
WE have done bullpen by cast off for so many years now i dont think we as Angel fans really know what a good bullpen is or how important they are at this point. 
I know what weve done hasnt worked, i know the game is changing moving away from rotation and to the pen, its time we evolve. 

The Giants had the best bullpen in baseball by ERA in 2021. The total payroll of that bullpen? $9 million.

The Rays had the 3rd best bullpen by ERA in 2021. $16 million. That may seem high until you realize that's for 20 pitchers.

The Marlins and Mariners spent fuck all on their bullpen and were both top 10.

Cleveland's highest paid reliever was making $2.5 million. 6th in ERA.

Spending is not the answer. Scouting is.

6 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

The Giants had the best bullpen in baseball by ERA in 2021. The total payroll of that bullpen? $9 million.

The Rays had the 3rd best bullpen by ERA in 2021. $16 million. That may seem high until you realize that's for 20 pitchers.

With more than 8 scouts 

11 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

I agree, BUT, thats not an option for a 1 year window is it.
We have to build a pen for the 22 season, not the next 10 years.
For this next 12 months, what other options do we have?

12 hours ago, Stradling said:

Except bullpens are much less of a sure thing when spending money. 

Nothing is a sure thing when spending, but why is a reliever any more or less sure than a starter?
Do we not have statistical history and projections on both?  Is the decision process any different?
The only difference is that an élite reliever costs about 1/3 an elite starter, whats the bigger risk?

1 hour ago, floplag said:

Nothing is a sure thing when spending, but why is a reliever any more or less sure than a starter?
Do we not have statistical history and projections on both?  Is the decision process any different?
The only difference is that an élite reliever costs about 1/3 an elite starter, whats the bigger risk?

Yes we have historical data.