• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Make Jack Mayfield the 2022 starting SS

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

I think he's fine as depth but that's about it. People just excited when they see a home run. 

Depending on other options... maybe.  Im fine with him being on the roster now.  Filling in for a game at SS is one thing.  Don't see him being a longer term fill in. He makes some great plays at 3B, but botches a few too many easy ones.

It’s pretty funny how many decent bench type guys have come up and had good stretches over the past few years that have led to people arguing they should be give a starting spot.  Almost like years of having no depth has led everyone to think it’s impossible to have a bench of decent players

9 hours ago, mmc said:

It’s pretty funny how many decent bench type guys have come up and had good stretches over the past few years that have led to people arguing they should be give a starting spot.  Almost like years of having no depth has led everyone to think it’s impossible to have a bench of decent players

Good teams have good depth....it's lost on many here. I don't care if Canning, Adell, Marsh, Rengifo, Warren, Wantz all start the year in AAA next year. It means presumably someone better is ahead of them, and if not, as long as the org has a short leash on those ahead of them (which they usually have had in recent years), it won't be a bad thing to have those guys be your options to call up instead of 4A filler or DFAs. 

Let's not Jefry Marte ourselves here. Jack Mayfield is fine for team depth and at best, could be a good UT IF.

13 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Let him play SS rest of season. Just another option keep all doors open. Cheap option and nice piece to have. I also bring back the Goose. Sign Petit for pen

My only concern would be that having Mayfield and Gooselin on the 40 man might squeeze a young guy out of a spot.....But they both are deserving based on what they've done....

11 minutes ago, Revad said:

One of the things about really good teams (think doggies) is that they develop players but then give them an opportunity to succeed.  Where did Muncie come from?

Totally agree with this - and it's good seeing Gosselin and Mayfield, even Lagares, playing decently with playing time. But you're playing with fire if you roll into 2022 banking on part-timers or rookies to fill roles with the same level of success. Maybe they do, hopefully they do, but it's not good for depth to count on this. I haven't looked at the Dodgers close enough last two Opening Days, but they've usually had excellent SPs in their bullpen or AAA, etc.

If Mayfield is your opening day SS, or even your main bench infielder, it also means everyone below him is moved up a slot in the depth chart. I'd rather the Angels move guys like Mayfield down the depth chart, especially at the start of the season. If that means the Angels bring in some Dexter Fowler SS equivalent in ST for $2m and it bumps Mayfield down a peg, it's a good problem to have.

Edited by totdprods