• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Reading Tom Sawyer to a 9 YO

Adam

39 minutes ago, St1ck said:

At 9 shouldn't they be reading it theirself? 

He reads a lot. We read to our kids at night. It's helpful to their own development as readers to hear others read aloud. 

43 minutes ago, Tank said:

does he know the word already? do you want him to know the word if he doesn't? is he in the car when your wife uses it while driving?

He does. I read the text verbatim. I had a talk with him to avoid using that word in any context around white women in yoga pants.

2 minutes ago, cals said:

I don’t think I need to tell you what my position is on this.

It was clearly a rhetorical question

1 minute ago, Adam said:

He does. I read the text verbatim. I had a talk with him to avoid using that word in any context around white women in yoga pants.

i was 5 years old when the Watts riots happened. I very clearly remember my dad telling me not to use the N word around black people. It was apparently okay in his thinking to use it anywhere else, however, because he often did.

Just now, Tank said:

i was 5 years old when the Watts riots happened. I very clearly remember my dad telling me not to use the N word around black people. It was apparently okay in his thinking to use it anywhere else, however, because he often did.

In all honesty, I'm pretty transparent with my son. He has a good grasp for what is and isn't appropriate. I hope my daughter never learns that word.

My mom read this with me almost 50 years ago and I read with my daughter. What my mom did and what I did was to explain that the word is used often and that at the time the book was written it was common language but today it’s considered insulting so as we read we’ll replace that word with “folks” so it doesn’t become too familiar to use

Over the Spring they had sensitivity course on zoom for employees that I was unable to attend because of deadlines and couldn't stop down for these 6 hours classes that were scheduled for one. You think the lessons would have sunk in but we just had to replace a shot in the opening maintitle because the "Hero" shot they chose of one of the cast members was that of an incredibly ripped black man crushing a watermellon against his chest. 

I told my co-online editor he needed to replace the same shot in his show and he asked why? Rather awkward moment telling a black man that watermellons are racist. It toook him completely by surprise and then he laughed at not knowing a racial stereotype when he color corrects one. 

6 minutes ago, Adam said:

Love censorship. So cool

“The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter. ’tis the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.”

Mark Twain, The Wit and Wisdom of Mark Twain

By replacing a specifc word in his writing, editors decided bugs are less scary.  

6 hours ago, cals said:

Do you see the irony for you to take a position against censorship?

No. Why would that seem like a conflict? There are community standards that override individual(s) right to speech that can be considered inflammatory in a open forum. Tom Sawyer is literature, not public forum discourse. There is a delineation to be found between the two. 

I first read this book with my third grade teacher who was a 60-ish year old black woman from Louisiana. One of my favorite teachers ever as a kid. That woman legit gave a shit and loved the hell out of her kids. She used the words. She also explained her youth in Louisiana to us and what those words meant in her experience. No BS about it. She explained they were words of hate, but it was part of how people talked at the time, and we were not to say that ever now. Fascinating woman really.