• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Taylor Ward homers, triples in Angels’ loss to Rangers

THE GAME: Taylor Ward homered and tripled in the Angels’ 6-4 loss to the Texas Rangers on Tuesday afternoon in a Cactus League game at Surprise Stadium.

PITCHING REPORT: Left-hander Andrew Heaney gave up five runs in 4-2/3 innings, on 97 pitches. In the first inning, he allowed two infield singles and then a two-run double. The Rangers hit him harder in the fourth and fifth, including a homer by Adolis Garcia. Heaney struck out six and walked one. Heaney has allowed 10 earned runs in 14-1/3 innings (6.28) this spring, with 16 strikeouts. Heaney said he felt like he was starting to get the feel for his breaking ball in the fifth inning, and he tried to talk Manager Joe Maddon into leaving him in the game, but Maddon had already signaled for the bullpen. “I just felt like that last inning I had a better feel for the things I was trying to do,” Heaney said. “I don’t know why it took me 80 pitches to get that feel, but it felt good.” … Left-hander Alex Claudio gave up one run in 1-1/3 innings. It was the first time this spring that he had stayed in for longer than three outs.

HITTING REPORT: Ward hit a homer to right center field, his second homer of the spring. Ward also tripled into right field, driving in two runs. Ward, who is not likely to make the Opening Day roster, is 8 for 22 (.364) with five walks this spring. “He’s made a lot of adjustments,” Maddon said. “He’s trying to get rid of the swing where he lays back and tries to lift everything. He’s now learned how to put the ball in the air the right way. Everything about his game’s gotten better.” … Shohei Ohtani punched a single into left field. Ohtani, who is 15 for 25 (.600) this spring, has gotten almost all of his hits to center and left. It was a good at-bat for Ohtani after he’d struck out in his first at-bat, bailing out of the box as he did during his struggles last season. He hit a flyout to the warning track in left in his next trip. … Jared Walsh yanked a double into right field. It was Walsh’s first extra-base hit of the spring. He’s 7 for 33 (.212).

DEFENSE REPORT: Second baseman Jose Rojas made a nice catch of a pop-up toward the right field line. Rojas has played second in four of the past five games in which he’s appeared, which could be a sign the Angels are giving serious consideration to keeping him instead of Luis Rengifo as a backup infielder. … Shortstop Jeremiah Jackson stabbed a one-hopper on his backhand side and then bounced a throw to first, but Walsh picked it at first for the out. Jackson also bobbled a hard ground ball hit right at him. … Center fielder Jordyn Adams made a leaping catch at the fence.

UP NEXT: Angels vs. Royals, Wednesday, 1 p.m. PT, Tempe Diablo Stadium, Fox Sports West, 830 AM

View the full article

29 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Not gonna lie, I kinda hope Rojas somehow edges out Rengifo. And I really like Rengifo

Maybe the Halos will think Rengifo is better off with regular playing time and Rojas can better handle a bench role. 

Starting to believe in Taylor Ward as well! Good stuff.

I see Rojas as more of an option if Walsh struggles.  He can play 2B but I don't think he's particularly good there.  Rengifo profiles better as an option in that he can backup both SS/2B as well as LF/3B possibly, which is what you want from a super-sub type.

I think Rengifo will get a good amount of ABs, as he'll be sort of like our Chris Taylor - someone without a permanent position but rotates all around the field.

The rest of our bench is our backup catcher, an occasional 1B/DH (Pujols), and our backup OF (Lagares).  So Rengifo's "bench spot" is likely to get a lot of playing time, IMO.

If you consider each starting position player will get, on average, one day per week off, that gives him one start at 2B, one at SS, one at 3B, and maybe an occasional one out in LF.  

10 hours ago, Warfarin said:

I see Rojas as more of an option if Walsh struggles.  He can play 2B but I don't think he's particularly good there.  Rengifo profiles better as an option in that he can backup both SS/2B as well as LF/3B possibly, which is what you want from a super-sub type.

I think Rengifo will get a good amount of ABs, as he'll be sort of like our Chris Taylor - someone without a permanent position but rotates all around the field.

The rest of our bench is our backup catcher, an occasional 1B/DH (Pujols), and our backup OF (Lagares).  So Rengifo's "bench spot" is likely to get a lot of playing time, IMO.

If you consider each starting position player will get, on average, one day per week off, that gives him one start at 2B, one at SS, one at 3B, and maybe an occasional one out in LF.  

Oh I agree, Rengifo makes the most sense, especially since he’s on the 40 already. Ward is arguably ahead of him too, as he can play almost the same positions plus catcher.

But, part of me wants Rojas to get it, and I could see a scenario where the Angels feel Rengifo is better suited getting true everyday playing time to start the year. 

Rojas could get the starts at 2B, 3B, LF you mentioned, plus DH and 1B, and Fletcher could cover SS on Iglesias’ days off. 

I don’t think this is very likely, but they’re really testing him at 2B lately and talking up his bat and his comps to La Stella and Moustakas. I think Maddon truly wants to find a spot for him sometime this year and obviously there’s a lot in the way of that happening, but I have a feeling we may see a few surprising roster/position moves this year. 

12 hours ago, Warfarin said:

Fletcher can play SS, Ward can play 3B and why would Rendon or any regular need 1 day off a week. Fletcher can also play 3B so really Rojas only sub at 2B. What lefty bat would you want coming off bench Rojas or Rengifo to PH with game on the line.

Rojas' biggest advantage is the Angels aren't looking tremendously strong from the left side of the plate. Ohtani won't be in the lineup everyday, Walsh still has to prove himself, and Fowler is a big question mark. The bench isn't shaping up to have much to offer either, with both the back-up C and 4th OF likely hitting from the right side.

This isn't critical, but something worth considering still. I'm a huge Walsh fan and think he's going to be alright, but there's still some uncertainty what the Angels will get there and Rojas could help in a pinch. Not saying this will give Rojas the edge, but if he makes the club somehow, these will be the reasons why.

I'm also maintaining my running theory that Jeremy Reed has something he does with left-handed hitters to coax out power, given his obvious results in Calhoun, and the developments that La Stella, Goodwin, Walsh, and even guys like Bemboom have shown in their time here. Maybe the Angels believe Rojas truly does have a Moustakas-level of offense there.