• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels waiting to see if Barria will get a fourth option this year

Angels waiting to find out if Jaime Barría will get a fourth option this year – Orange County Register (ocregister.com)

"Barria was optioned in 2018, 2019 and 2020, so at the moment he’s considered out of options.

However, there is a rule that allows a player to get a fourth option year if his three options have been exhausted before he’s been active for five full seasons, at any level. A “full season,” in terms of this rule, means being active for at least 90 days. Barria’s five full seasons are 2016-20.

The 2020 season, however, lasted just 70 days. For purposes of service time, players had their days pro-rated to make 2020 a full season. But MLB is still waiting on the arbiter’s ruling to learn if the same thing applies with the regard to the option rule."

3 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Angels waiting to find out if Jaime Barría will get a fourth option this year – Orange County Register (ocregister.com)

"Barria was optioned in 2018, 2019 and 2020, so at the moment he’s considered out of options.

However, there is a rule that allows a player to get a fourth option year if his three options have been exhausted before he’s been active for five full seasons, at any level. A “full season,” in terms of this rule, means being active for at least 90 days. Barria’s five full seasons are 2016-20.

The 2020 season, however, lasted just 70 days. For purposes of service time, players had their days pro-rated to make 2020 a full season. But MLB is still waiting on the arbiter’s ruling to learn if the same thing applies with the regard to the option rule."

Great provide a sun 4.00 ERA and demote him to AAA again.

It's an interesting development to say the least. I doubt they'll grant an additional option year in this case, otherwise the players union will throw a fit. 

Barria is still just one of those guys the Angels would've been better off leaving alone. Even if they do grant an additional option it may be in their best interest to keep him on the MLB roster.

Not only is Barria sick of that AAA-MLB yoyo treatment, but given that starts will be eased back into things, multi-inning relievers are more important than ever. He'll probably get tons of work in, even from the bullpen, and can step into the rotation if/when an injury occurs. 

Given the Angels luck from the past few years, this may be a non-issue. Usually at least one or two starters go down in the Spring.

My guess is that Barria logs significant time in the rotation this year anyway. 

5 minutes ago, Second Base said:

It's an interesting development to say the least. I doubt they'll grant an additional option year in this case, otherwise the players union will throw a fit. 

Barria is still just one of those guys the Angels would've been better off leaving alone. Even if they do grant an additional option it may be in their best interest to keep him on the MLB roster.

Not only is Barria sick of that AAA-MLB yoyo treatment, but given that starts will be eased back into things, multi-inning relievers are more important than ever. He'll probably get tons of work in, even from the bullpen, and can step into the rotation if/when an injury occurs. 

Given the Angels luck from the past few years, this may be a non-issue. Usually at least one or two starters go down in the Spring.

My guess is that Barria logs significant time in the rotation this year anyway. 

I would imagine it makes it easier to grab Odorizzi if Barria can be optioned. Either way, Barria will be up when someone gets injured, but if they can stash, say, Cobb in the pen? Just adds a lot of depth, potentially. 

That said, as I read the story, it seems unlikely the rule is interpreted that way. 

2 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

I would imagine it makes it easier to grab Odorizzi if Barria can be optioned. Either way, Barria will be up when someone gets injured, but if they can stash, say, Cobb in the pen? Just adds a lot of depth, potentially. 

I have it on good authority that if we wanted Odorizzi he would have been in Tempe by now, additionally, I am not even sure we are allowed to talk about him on here.  

14 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

That said, as I read the story, it seems unlikely the rule is interpreted that way. 

There is no way Cobb is going to the pen.

6 hours ago, Pancake Bear said:

It won't be Bundy or Ohtani. Unlikely to be Quintana. Heaney has too much tenure here for that. Canning vs. Cobb? I'd bet on Cobb, personally. Probably doesn't happen, regardless, so it's just theoretical. 

Someone will probably be hurt and the problem will get "solved"

19 hours ago, Stradling said:

I have it on good authority that if we wanted Odorizzi he would have been in Tempe by now, additionally, I am not even sure we are allowed to talk about him on here.  

Did this "good authority" ever play Xbox with Odorizzi?