• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels’ Dexter Fowler reunites with Joe Maddon

AngelsWin.com

When the Angels hired Joe Maddon in 2019, he brought a reputation as a “players’ manager,” a field general so universally respected in Tampa Bay and Chicago that he might serve as a recruiting tool. In Dexter Fowler, the Angels have proof of concept.

Fowler waived his no-trade clause to accept a move from the St. Louis Cardinals to the Angels on Feb. 4, when he was traded for a player to be named later. Maddon was instrumental in catalyzing Fowler’s decision.

“I knew what I was getting with Joe,” Fowler said. “Loved playing for him the two years I did. I obviously kept in touch with him and congratulated him. I knew he liked me as a player. Just being able to get traded to a veteran team with a chance to win, that was my mindset.”

Fowler played with the Cubs under Maddon in 2015 and 2016, his tenure culminating with a World Series championship. They were among the best seasons of Fowler’s career, which began in 2008 with the Colorado Rockies.

The switch-hitting outfielder batted .261 with 30 home runs, 33 stolen bases, and 94 RBIs in 281 games as a Cub. Critically, Fowler only went on the disabled list once, missing a month in 2016 with a hamstring injury.

Fowler signed a five-year, $82.5 million contract to join the Cardinals in Dec. 2016. In 2017, he set career highs in home runs (18) and RBIs (64) while batting .264.

The following year was a disaster. Fowler began the season poorly, batting a mere .171 through the end of June. In July, Cardinals president of baseball operations John Mozeliak publicly criticized Fowler’s effort and energy. His batting average was still just .180 when a foot fracture ended his season in August.

The 2019 season saw Fowler rebound somewhat, setting new career highs in homers (19) and RBIs (67). In 2020, a bout with ulcerative colitis sapped his energy and ultimately caused him to miss 20 games during the shortened season. Entering the new season, Fowler’s role in the Cardinals’ outfield was murky.

“(Mozeliak) had come to me before, kind of a while ago,” Fowler said. “Obviously the pandemic slowed everything up last year and some of the guys didn’t get to mature like he had hoped. Being a free agent after the year, (accepting a trade) made sense. I was just relieved that he was honest with me.”

Fowler figures to begin the season as the Angels’ primary right fielder. Outfielder Jo Adell, the top prospect in the Angels’ farm system, is waiting in the wings after struggling in his debut last season.

Playing time might be essential to Fowler’s success. He believes that getting at-bats from both the right and left sides of the plate are the best means for preventing a slump from either side. Last season, Fowler hit much better from the left side (.260/.349/.452) than the right (.118/.167/.118) and saw his playing time diminish against left-handed pitchers. For now, Maddon said he isn’t thinking about platooning Fowler.

“I like his right-handed swing,” Maddon said. “I don’t quite understand why that took a nosedive for him. He was that good right-handed, and I watched him yesterday. I liked what I saw.”

Call it another example of Maddon’s player-centric approach.

“He lets you be yourself,” Fowler said. “If you’re comfortable in your skin you’re good. He doesn’t mold you, put you in any type of box. I’ve played for some managers that have done that. At the end of the day, I think I respond better when you’re just you. Joe allows you to be that. I think he gets the best of his players like that.”

CHANGE FOR OHTANI

One day after facing teammates as a hitter, Ohtani pitched to live hitters for the first time in spring training. He said through his interpreter that his fastball touched 97 mph.

Pitching to Jared Walsh and Luis Rengifo, Ohtani said he also threw a curveball, slider, split-fingered fastball, and a changeup – a pitch he threw in Japan but hasn’t thrown in a game since joining the Angels. Ohtani said in Japanese that he’s thinking about throwing the pitch in games this season as a complement to his existing repertoire.

“I was mostly in the strike zone with my fastball,” Ohtani said through his interpreter. “There’s a little brushing up to be precise. For my first session, I was pretty happy with my fastball.”

Ohtani made only two starts in 2020 before elbow pain limited him to designated hitter duties for the remainder of the season. The biggest difference Wednesday compared to last year?

“My elbow feels much better compared to last year,” he said.

ALSO

Relief pitcher Alex Claudio (right hip infection) reported to camp after a brief delay. Maddon said the left-hander doesn’t have a timeline to begin his throwing program. … Tickets to the Angels’ final 11 home games at Tempe Diablo Stadium are sold out. Only select tickets remain to their games on March 1 against the Chicago White Sox and March 3 against the Texas Rangers.

View the full article

2021 is shaping up to be the Joe Maddon Reunion Tour.

You know, I went to a few reunion tours over the years... Chicago, Doobie Brothers, Earth, Wind and Fire, America...  They're never as good as the original.  They actually sucked for the most part.

22 minutes ago, T.G. said:

You know, I went to a few reunion tours over the years... Chicago, Doobie Brothers, Earth, Wind and Fire, America...  They're never as good as the original.  They actually sucked for the most part.

Got to see the originals (all except America) in concert over the past several years.  No Peter Cetera or Michael McDonald, but Philip Bailey was back with EW&F.

1 minute ago, Angel Oracle said:

Got to see the originals (all except America) in concert over the past several years.  No Peter Cetera or Michael McDonald, but Philip Bailey was back with EW&F.

As did I. They all sucked. 

I still don’t get the hate for Fowler. Did anyone watch Adell play last year? If Fowler can merely manage a line of .230/.320/.380, he will be a huge upgrade over Adell. And if he plays well enough to justify keeping Adell in the minors until late June or so, I believe the team will effectively control Adell through 2027 (making the $2 mil paid to Fowler a good investment if Adell turns into the star we all hope for).

9 hours ago, T.G. said:

Doobie Brothers is another band I missed but would have liked to see.

I had a few chances but it just didn't work out. Either wife didn't want to go, or something.

One problem is I didn't really like the Michael McDonald era.

1 hour ago, happybat4 said:

The more I think about it, Fowler is a character guy move. He was brought in probably just to mentor Adelle. Even if Fowler sucks, it's good for the young guys to see what a professional is. Maybe they tell Adelle if you want to do well in the majors, do what Fowler does.

I mean, isn't trout a professional?  Wouldn't you want to be mentored by the GOAT?

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Doobie Brothers is another band I missed but would have liked to see.

I had a few chances but it just didn't work out. Either wife didn't want to go, or something.

One problem is I didn't really like the Michael McDonald era.

I dont know anything about the doobie brothers. (Funkdoobiest if anything). But every reference I see of them, anywhere, this pops in my head