• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MLB FA Market - Should the Angels wait it out?

eaterfan

How does everyone see the market shaping up the remainder of the off season? Will we see a continuation of the labor friendly market we've seen so far or will things shift toward the side of the owners as we witnessed the past two luke-warm stoves?

I think Rendon gets a big deal, but after that I wonder if it may return to how it has been. I think this board has generally reflected the feeling around the league that there were several clear difference makers who were worth big money:

1. Cole

2. Strasburg

3. Wheeler

4. Rendon

(am I forgetting anyone)

And then a bunch of guys who were kind of middling. The past two seasons a few guys signed early for more labor friendly type deals but as the off-season went on players lost their nerve and there were some real bargains for the teams. On the other hand, it seems like more teams are willing to spend this year, more teams want to compete, and no one wants to be left holding the bag.

How do you see the market going? Will the market cool or is early December setting the tone? Should the Angels risk getting shut out if it means possibly getting some of the middling free agents while allowing flexibility going forward? 

So I will spoil part of the Primer Series and very clearly state that next year's free agent market sucks and the 3B market is pretty dry for the next four seasons. This off-season was the moment and we need to capture what we can of it now.

Rendon is still available and I say spend a bundle on him now, he is a fantastic hitter and a good defender who should give value for quite a while. With Cole and Strasburg gone, Eppler will probably need to turn to the trade market and that will cost us real prospects and sadly that probably includes Brandon Marsh (he is a personal favorite of mine and many here). We need a high quality starter and very likely another mid-rotation type like Jon Gray. Get that young controllable catcher with at least one option and then sign Jason Castro (depth with Strassi).

Now is the time and the Angels need to turn the lemons into lemonade.

1 minute ago, ettin said:

So I will spoil part of the Primer Series and very clearly state that next year's free agent market sucks and the 3B market is pretty dry for the next four seasons. This off-season was the moment and we need to capture what we can of it now.

Rendon is still available and I say spend a bundle on him now, he is a fantastic hitter and a good defender who should give value for quite a while. With Cole and Strasburg gone, Eppler will probably need to turn to the trade market and that will cost us real prospects and sadly that probably includes Brandon Marsh (he is a personal favorite of mine and many here). We need a high quality starter and very likely another mid-rotation type like Jon Gray. Get that young controllable catcher with at least one option and then sign Jason Castro (depth with Strassi).

Now is the time and the Angels need to turn the lemons into lemonade.

I should have specified I was only referring to the mid-level FA. The 4 guys on my list are guys you sign if you can. 

And I'm not saying stand-pat for the off-season. I'm saying do you wait and see if one of Mad-Bum or Ryu comes down to 3 years for $45 instead of 5 years for $100 or 4 for $80. Maybe they go for that next week, but is it worth waiting to see? If you miss on them you can still make trades as you suggest.