Jump to content
  • Welcome to AngelsWin.com

    AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

    Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

    Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

     

IGNORED

Judges are great


Recommended Posts

Has anyone else listened to the Casefile podcast? The narrator is Australian and tells true-crime stories from across the world. Something that's struck me is how lenient prison sentences are in other countries. In Australia and the UK, convicted murderers will be sentenced to like 30 years with the possibility of parole after 15 years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Has anyone else listened to the Casefile podcast? The narrator is Australian and tells true-crime stories from across the world. Something that's struck me is how lenient prison sentences are in other countries. In Australia and the UK, convicted murderers will be sentenced to like 30 years with the possibility of parole after 15 years.

In Norway, they had that psycho that blew up 8 people, and shot dead another 69 people.  Sentenced to 21 years in prison, with a minimum of 10 years inceration.  And he has already claimed he is being mistreated because he was put in solitary confinement.  This is what the prison cells look like in the prison he's in.  Caption did say the computer had no internet access.

anders-breivik-prison-norway-2.jpg?width

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Taylor said:

Has anyone else listened to the Casefile podcast? The narrator is Australian and tells true-crime stories from across the world. Something that's struck me is how lenient prison sentences are in other countries. In Australia and the UK, convicted murderers will be sentenced to like 30 years with the possibility of parole after 15 years.

That happens here, too...

At least in California, you have to reallllly do something bad to serve real time.

Prior to 3 strikes, shooters were getting out after a few years... this is why old school gangs have dudes in their 50s or so now with multiple homicides... after 3 strikes and gang enhancements, shootings dropped pretty significantly.

If you were a juvey, and you shot a few people in your youngster years, youd hit CYA at 17, be out at 25....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, gotbeer said:

In Norway, they had that psycho that blew up 8 people, and shot dead another 69 people.  Sentenced to 21 years in prison, with a minimum of 10 years inceration.  And he has already claimed he is being mistreated because he was put in solitary confinement.  This is what the prison cells look like in the prison he's in.  Caption did say the computer had no internet access.

anders-breivik-prison-norway-2.jpg?width

In 2019, no internet is cruel and unusual, to be fair...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't understand the leniency afforded serious offenders. Why do we, as a society, allow these people to continue to live amongst us?  It seems to me that we should all be in agreement that they need to be taken out of society. 

I think this is a problem driven largely by liberals who think the justice system is unfair, and who believe the bad guys are actually victims of inequality. In fact, prison reform - i.e., shorter sentences, not holding people accountable - is a major platform point for today's Democratic Party. This is why DT's talking points resonate with so many who despise liberalism.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, wopphil said:

I don't understand the leniency afforded serious offenders. Why do we, as a society, allow these people to continue to live amongst us?  It seems to me that we should all be in agreement that they need to be taken out of society. 

I think this is a problem driven largely by liberals who think the justice system is unfair, and who believe the bad guys are actually victims of inequality. In fact, prison reform - i.e., shorter sentences, not holding people accountable - is a major platform point for today's Democratic Party. This is why DT's talking points resonate with so many who despise liberalism.

Yet you’re okay with white republican criminals like Trump because they’re white and republican.  No wonder you hate the FBI but are okay with the police who arrest black dindunuffins.

And I’m independent so back off with that libtard blah blah blah knee jerk ?.

B43C10F6-6E51-43A3-A5AF-0627DAFF249A.jpeg.a65c058d2fc55a8e5eb0aa464ba4aac5.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, wopphil said:

I don't understand the leniency afforded serious offenders. Why do we, as a society, allow these people to continue to live amongst us?  It seems to me that we should all be in agreement that they need to be taken out of society. 

I think this is a problem driven largely by liberals who think the justice system is unfair, and who believe the bad guys are actually victims of inequality. In fact, prison reform - i.e., shorter sentences, not holding people accountable - is a major platform point for today's Democratic Party. This is why DT's talking points resonate with so many who despise liberalism.

Curious...what do you mean by "leniency", and what do you mean when you write, "serious?" Seems like those two terms need to be defined. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, halomatt said:

Curious...what do you mean by "leniency", and what do you mean when you write, "serious?" Seems like those two terms need to be defined. 

Leniency would mean short sentences provided to people who commit serious crimes - e.g., giving people only a few years for assault, rape, armed robbery, etc. If it were up to me, rapists would be castrated and murderers put to death immediately after their trials.

Serious primarily refers to violent crimes or crimes that have a big impact on other people.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, wopphil said:

Leniency would mean short sentences provided to people who commit serious crimes - e.g., giving people only a few years for assault, rape, armed robbery, etc. If it were up to me, rapists would be castrated and murderers put to death immediately after their trials.

Serious primarily refers to violent crimes or crimes that have a big impact on other people.

Got it.  Thanks.  I was curious because I know there is, and has been, an argument for "rehabilitation" over "punishment."  In general, there is research that has shown rehabilitation is more successful and less expensive than incarceration and punishment.  It's been a long time since I looked up this issue, but I would agree with you that violent criminals owe society a debt that must be repaid, sometimes with their life or incarceration for life. 

Of course, those choices also must have cost as a factor.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/17/2019 at 8:00 AM, wopphil said:

I don't understand the leniency afforded serious offenders. Why do we, as a society, allow these people to continue to live amongst us?  It seems to me that we should all be in agreement that they need to be taken out of society. 

I think this is a problem driven largely by liberals who think the justice system is unfair, and who believe the bad guys are actually victims of inequality. In fact, prison reform - i.e., shorter sentences, not holding people accountable - is a major platform point for today's Democratic Party. This is why DT's talking points resonate with so many who despise liberalism.

I think some sentences are way too harsh for certain crimes, and I do believe it's undeniable that people of color are at a disadvantage in the justice system. I'm also against the death penalty.

However, someone who's convicted of first-degree murder should get a life sentence, period, with no possibility of parole. If they're wrongfully convicted, they can apply for help from the Innocence Project.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, halomatt said:

Got it.  Thanks.  I was curious because I know there is, and has been, an argument for "rehabilitation" over "punishment."  In general, there is research that has shown rehabilitation is more successful and less expensive than incarceration and punishment.  It's been a long time since I looked up this issue, but I would agree with you that violent criminals owe society a debt that must be repaid, sometimes with their life or incarceration for life. 

Of course, those choices also must have cost as a factor.

Do you really believe rapists can be rehabilitated?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The first molester I ever arrested got a handful of years county time (not state time) for having intercourse with his 6(?) year old daughter.

His serious time came from the Feds, because he filmed it and put it on the internet....child porn is a fed crime.

So think about that.... the act was punished less than the possession of child pornography....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

Do you really believe rapists can be rehabilitated?

I went back and re-read my post to make sure that did not write that or anything that might be construed as similar to that. 

I did not.  In fact, I would say that rape falls under the, "violent criminal" category that I did specifically allude to in my post. 

However, I would say that rehabilitation is possible for some criminals accused of some crimes.  I know it's vague, but, as I wrote in my original post, I haven't done the research, so to speak on this would be intellectually dishonest. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Criminals, including violent ones, can be rehabilitated. But there is no black and white answer as to how.

In my experience, they fall in to two categories. More or less regular joe can kill someone, lets say in a bar fight. Even if say he was hanging around the wrong crowd, his DNA so to speak isnt "bad guy".

Then you have lesser than serious crook like a burglar. Hes caught at day 22... but has been doing it for years. That guy isnt going to change.

The reality is that its very rare people are arrested for their first crime. And most bad guys go to jail for one of their crimes of the several they commit almost daily.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...