• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

AngelsWin.com Today: Next Wave of Los Angeles Angels Starting Pitching Prospects

Thank you for the hard work putting this together totdprods.  What a fantastic summary!  You totally rock.  

There is after last years draft our pitching got better.  Although we have few top of the order arms, we do have a lot of quality arms.  I am really waiting to see when our system is re-ranked if some of these guys will make the top 30.  Take Oliver Ortega as an example.  I think the reason no one's heard of him was because he came from the DSL, only pitched a couple of innings in 2016, didn't pitch in 2017 at all (Tommy John?), was solid last year, and is even better this year.  I can see why he's flown under the radar.  And his stats are even more impressive because IE is a hitter friendly park.  I would love to read a scouting report on him. 

13 hours ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Great job totdprods! Actually a very good read! Thank you`

Question: Why are most averaging less than 4 innings per start? Ortega and Madero look like the only two avg. above 5 innings per start. That is an issue. They should be stretching them out even if it is in a 6-man rotation. 

Then they get here and can't fight through an inning or don't understand how to pitch without their best stuff.

Wasn't Yan one of those Braves guys that became Free Agents again?

Drop some start stat lines! Let's see if they are building confidence and arm strength or just teasing away at swingmen and openers.

I think the inning's pitch numbers are a bit skewed.  So, some of these guys have been slowly stretched out where at the beginning of the year they pitched 3 innings, now they are consistently pitching 5.  Some guys who normally start, are also brought into relief situations.  Also, because of the sheer number of guys on the roster, some of the starters are platooned.  They'll pitch two in one day, each getting them 4 innings of work.  I also think they focus more on pitch count than innings pitch.  I imagine with the wave of Tommy John's that have hit in the past three years, pitch count is aggressively monitored.  

52 minutes ago, Rollinghard said:

Do you think Mike Trout reads this? Does he know that there is light at the end of the tunnel? The farm has arms. If the Angels scuffle in July I hope we see some of them. The more the merrier.  I like being entertained. See prospect getting a spot start is way more fun to watch than seeing the predictable Cahill or Harvey.

Trout likely knows more about the Angles farm system than any of us.  There are multiple articles talking about his interest.  

I also agree on the second part of your statement as well.  I'd even rather watch Barria or Trop over those guys.  

On 6/15/2019 at 6:18 AM, tchula said:

I think the inning's pitch numbers are a bit skewed.  So, some of these guys have been slowly stretched out where at the beginning of the year they pitched 3 innings, now they are consistently pitching 5.  Some guys who normally start, are also brought into relief situations.  Also, because of the sheer number of guys on the roster, some of the starters are platooned.  They'll pitch two in one day, each getting them 4 innings of work.  I also think they focus more on pitch count than innings pitch.  I imagine with the wave of Tommy John's that have hit in the past three years, pitch count is aggressively monitored.  

Which kind of goes to my point. We didn't have much in the way of TJ injuries when I played in the 80's or even before. It was Rotator Cuffs and labrums! I had 1 - surgery for impingement. Came back from it and was actually throwing harder from 86-89mph pre-surgery to 91-94mph. I was listed as 5-10.... In my cowboy boots....

Somewhere along the line overwork, improper training (and too much training) improper mechanics and attempting to fit every pitchers mechanics into a box instead of letting them throw with their natural motion has set MLB back. Now it's regular to go under the knife 1-2 times and have a cadaver ligament wrapped into place and show off your scar as a badge of honor. 

I had 3 different release points and even would drop submarine once in a while. I threw strikes consistently from each. So, it didn't really matter. That was the bottom line throwing strikes, changing the eye level, keeping the hitter off balance and getting outs. I threw the following ( up top, 3/4's and side arm  4-seam, 2-seam, cutter, circle change, curve slow and a fast slurve, slider, forkball I would drop submarine and toss up a knuckleball or a frisbee slider and forkball).

Today, they want big dudes, who throw hard and haven't worked on any consistency in their mechanics or any of their offspeed pitches. Thinking they will teach them mechanics and the proper pitches. Then they still can't throw strikes with any regularity with anything except their fastball 40-50% of the time. Then they pop their UCL and blame it on over throwing... And say we need to limit everyone's innings.

You can go down the list of all of our pitchers in our Organization. I would love to see a breakdown of arsenal, and the strike % of each pitch... I guarantee what you will find most are imperfect pitchers who predominately can only throw a few (1 or 2)  pitches consistently for strikes. (exceptions Barria, Canning, Suarez). Those names are also interesting smaller dudes that needed to work on everything to get people out.

Thoughts?

16 hours ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Which kind of goes to my point. We didn't have much in the way of TJ injuries when I played in the 80's or even before. It was Rotator Cuffs and labrums! I had 1 - surgery for impingement. Came back from it and was actually throwing harder from 86-89mph pre-surgery to 91-94mph. I was listed as 5-10.... In my cowboy boots....

Somewhere along the line overwork, improper training (and too much training) improper mechanics and attempting to fit every pitchers mechanics into a box instead of letting them throw with their natural motion has set MLB back. Now it's regular to go under the knife 1-2 times and have a cadaver ligament wrapped into place and show off your scar as a badge of honor. 

I had 3 different release points and even would drop submarine once in a while. I threw strikes consistently from each. So, it didn't really matter. That was the bottom line throwing strikes, changing the eye level, keeping the hitter off balance and getting outs. I threw the following ( up top, 3/4's and side arm  4-seam, 2-seam, cutter, circle change, curve slow and a fast slurve, slider, forkball I would drop submarine and toss up a knuckleball or a frisbee slider and forkball).

Today, they want big dudes, who throw hard and haven't worked on any consistency in their mechanics or any of their offspeed pitches. Thinking they will teach them mechanics and the proper pitches. Then they still can't throw strikes with any regularity with anything except their fastball 40-50% of the time. Then they pop their UCL and blame it on over throwing... And say we need to limit everyone's innings.

You can go down the list of all of our pitchers in our Organization. I would love to see a breakdown of arsenal, and the strike % of each pitch... I guarantee what you will find most are imperfect pitchers who predominately can only throw a few (1 or 2)  pitches consistently for strikes. (exceptions Barria, Canning, Suarez). Those names are also interesting smaller dudes that needed to work on everything to get people out.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the great insight. I have often wondered why the wave of TJ's surgeries that didn't seem to exist prior.  You obviously know much more about pitching mechanics than I do.  But even then (and correct me if I am wrong) I don't recall that many shoulder surgeries when I followed baseball in the 80's and 90's.  Maybe there was and I just do not remember. 

Regarding the pitch count and inning limit, I also think some of it has to do with stats.  I think we are going to see a lot of teams do unorthodox things to increase their chances of winning.  We have already seen it in fielding with the shift, and I think the introduction of guys like the designated starter is only the beginning.  Maybe that has something to do with it?  Or maybe, they want to slowly stretch these guys out (real slowly) and are you using an abundance of caution.  Some of the guys on the list were relievers last year after all.  

21 hours ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Thoughts?

your name gives it away.  the slappy hitter is as rare as the guys who pitch to contact.  

the powers that be have determined that velocity and spin are the two things that make hitters miss when they are trying to hit the ball 500 feet.  In order to achieve max velo and spin, you need max effort.  Max effort predominately in the form of max torque on the ligament.   Over time, the result is a series of micro tears due to high levels of stress which theoretically is increased with fatigue.  

Instead of teaching guys to throw differently, they've instead decided that throwing less is the way to go.  

On 6/18/2019 at 10:34 AM, Dochalo said:

your name gives it away.  the slappy hitter is as rare as the guys who pitch to contact.  

the powers that be have determined that velocity and spin are the two things that make hitters miss when they are trying to hit the ball 500 feet.  In order to achieve max velo and spin, you need max effort.  Max effort predominately in the form of max torque on the ligament.   Over time, the result is a series of micro tears due to high levels of stress which theoretically is increased with fatigue.  

Instead of teaching guys to throw differently, they've instead decided that throwing less is the way to go.  

Which is why I appreciate your response Doc. Due to the medical side.

But, on the same side that's kind of a turn 'em and burn 'em attitude. When ________  arm falls off we have 5 more imperfect pitchers in AAA waiting patiently....

Also, they do attempt to box mechanics and arm slots (I've seen it first hand on the backfields in SPT and watching bullpens of younger pitchers) (it's a lazy way of trying to figure out how to fix something) and most of the time it is a cookie cutter mentality depending on the hierarchy that is in charge of the pitching staff. Not talking specifically the HALOS here.

I'm from an old school process if you've had success in getting hitters out don't change it, work to the effectiveness of the athlete and teach them the proper mechanics in throw a specific pitch including grip, mechanics to not give it away, arm slot and release. 

That comes back to why many of these *clean peanuts* are here they are imperfect pitchers that have high velo arms and no feel for offspeed pitches. Ex. to this is when a pitcher like BEDROCK has issues. He only has 2-3 pitches. a 4-seam fastball, 2-seam and a slider. When location disappears the pitcher is toast as the %'s of pitch selection decreases and guessing becomes less as a hitter during the course of the at bat and inning. 

11 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Which is why I appreciate your response Doc. Due to the medical side.

But, on the same side that's kind of a turn 'em and burn 'em attitude. When ________  arm falls off we have 5 more imperfect pitchers in AAA waiting patiently....

Also, they do attempt to box mechanics and arm slots (I've seen it first hand on the backfields in SPT and watching bullpens of younger pitchers) (it's a lazy way of trying to figure out how to fix something) and most of the time it is a cookie cutter mentality depending on the hierarchy that is in charge of the pitching staff. Not talking specifically the HALOS here.

I'm from an old school process if you've had success in getting hitters out don't change it, work to the effectiveness of the athlete and teach them the proper mechanics in throw a specific pitch including grip, mechanics to not give it away, arm slot and release. 

That comes back to why many of these *clean peanuts* are here they are imperfect pitchers that have high velo arms and no feel for offspeed pitches. Ex. to this is when a pitcher like BEDROCK has issues. He only has 2-3 pitches. a 4-seam fastball, 2-seam and a slider. When location disappears the pitcher is toast as the %'s of pitch selection decreases and guessing becomes less as a hitter during the course of the at bat and inning. 

re: boxed mechanics.  of course.  but it's those mechanics that they have found lead to higher velo and spin rate and yes, it's very much a churn and burn sort of mentality but it's a results based game.  Therefore, their way of preserving the players arm is by less use.  

Do you want Canning out there throwing 88-91 with less movement on his breaking pitches for 8 innings or do you want him out there throwing 91-96 with sharp break on his slider and good downward action on his change?  The former requires excellent control.  

Also keep in mind that they've identified a major outlier with pitching more innings, and that is lineup exposure.  Hitters can go back to the dugout and open an ipad.  They can see exactly where the catcher set up and how they were sequenced.  

relievers are generally always 2-3 pitch guys which is why they're relievers and how that evolved.  And volatility of them has always been a thing as well. 

you have to miss bats to be effective these days because you don't have line drive hitters.  pretty much every hitter in every lineup will take you deep if you miss slightly at 88.  It used to be that your top two guys were good hitters and table setters with very little pop and your last three guys just were very good hitters and also had no pop.  hit the ball on the ground.  use your speed.  hit the ball the other way.  hit and run.  productive outs etc.  

Also, guys are way more patient than they've ever been and they just miss a lot more so pitchers are throwing more pitches per outing.  

I remember @Angelsjunky posted a thread a few years back about how Kotchman should strike out more.  And that's what teams want.  They'd rather have you swing and miss with your full swing so you can see another pitch than to make weak contact for an automatic out.  

Do I like the way the game has evolved into being so sub-specialized?  Not all of it.  I miss speed that led to more doubles and triples and I miss guys who can hit .300 and hit to all fields.  But I don't miss productive outs or weak outs on the first pitch or when ahead in the count.  One thing that drives me nuts right now there is that guys are taking a TON on 2-0.  

La Stella and Fletcher are a good mix of new and old.  I want to see more guys like that.  

On 6/18/2019 at 10:34 AM, Dochalo said:

On the hitting side it's about lift today and swing exit velo. When you have guys who hit 210-230 with 15 bombs.... With too many lazy fly ball outs.

Would be better served of putting the ball on the ground or hitting line drives and using the whole field. getting on base more equates to more base runners which equates to more runs.  

5 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

re: boxed mechanics.  of course.  but it's those mechanics that they have found lead to higher velo and spin rate and yes, it's very much a churn and burn sort of mentality but it's a results based game.  Therefore, their way of preserving the players arm is by less use.  

Do you want Canning out there throwing 88-91 with less movement on his breaking pitches for 8 innings or do you want him out there throwing 91-96 with sharp break on his slider and good downward action on his change?  The former requires excellent control.  

Also keep in mind that they've identified a major outlier with pitching more innings, and that is lineup exposure.  Hitters can go back to the dugout and open an ipad.  They can see exactly where the catcher set up and how they were sequenced.  

relievers are generally always 2-3 pitch guys which is why they're relievers and how that evolved.  And volatility of them has always been a thing as well. 

you have to miss bats to be effective these days because you don't have line drive hitters.  pretty much every hitter in every lineup will take you deep if you miss slightly at 88.  It used to be that your top two guys were good hitters and table setters with very little pop and your last three guys just were very good hitters and also had no pop.  hit the ball on the ground.  use your speed.  hit the ball the other way.  hit and run.  productive outs etc.  

Also, guys are way more patient than they've ever been and they just miss a lot more so pitchers are throwing more pitches per outing.  

I remember @Angelsjunky posted a thread a few years back about how Kotchman should strike out more.  And that's what teams want.  They'd rather have you swing and miss with your full swing so you can see another pitch than to make weak contact for an automatic out.  

Do I like the way the game has evolved into being so sub-specialized?  Not all of it.  I miss speed that led to more doubles and triples and I miss guys who can hit .300 and hit to all fields.  But I don't miss productive outs or weak outs on the first pitch or when ahead in the count.  One thing that drives me nuts right now there is that guys are taking a TON on 2-0.  

La Stella and Fletcher are a good mix of new and old.  I want to see more guys like that.  

agreed

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

Although, Canning is kind of bad example as he was this way in college mechanics and repertoire wise. He has more strength but he is pretty much the same pitcher other than velo which you gain as you build strength and stamina wise. Angels haven't really adjusted much with him mechanics wise which were easily repeated. 

At UCLA he had the ability before being drafted and the velo/repertoire he at times rushed through his mechanics. 

The first part of the Bee video is a bad example as he is throwing out of the stretch you have to fast forward to the next inning to see him out of the windup. 

He's a little more fluid at times when he doesn't rush through his mechanics as you can see in the Halo video at the bottom. 

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 2:53 PM, totdprods said:

Thanks! 

I don’t disagree that we need some frontline arms to emerge, but a cadre of well-performing #3s, a great bullpen, great defense, and a good offense can be pretty lethal in the postseason too.

+1

2002 Halos team agrees.

On 6/18/2019 at 4:58 AM, tchula said:

Thanks for the great insight. I have often wondered why the wave of TJ's surgeries that didn't seem to exist prior.  You obviously know much more about pitching mechanics than I do.  But even then (and correct me if I am wrong) I don't recall that many shoulder surgeries when I followed baseball in the 80's and 90's.  Maybe there was and I just do not remember. 

Regarding the pitch count and inning limit, I also think some of it has to do with stats.  I think we are going to see a lot of teams do unorthodox things to increase their chances of winning.  We have already seen it in fielding with the shift, and I think the introduction of guys like the designated starter is only the beginning.  Maybe that has something to do with it?  Or maybe, they want to slowly stretch these guys out (real slowly) and are you using an abundance of caution.  Some of the guys on the list were relievers last year after all.  

tchula,  Well, to be perfectly honest..Shoulders I believe are a little easier to come back from, similar to my final procedure for impingement. I believe more-so than Elbows you're dealing with cadaver ligaments and winding tendons together to re-create something that is gone screws and hardware. Labrums are tricky. I haven't seen many comeback from that. Cuffs I've seen pitchers come back and gain a portion of their Velo not nearly 100% but I have seen people get up to 90-85% so from high to mid 90's to low 90's-high 80's when I played. 

There were also, other ways to increase muscle strength and strengthen all of the muscles around the shoulder capsule to keep you on the field that were readily available at the time in the late 80's/90's/early 2000's. I'm not going to go into it too much depth. But, it was going on through the trainers rooms from JUCO, College, Minors and MLB. Among other things. I received 5 cortisone injections in my shoulder socket in a single season which looking back had nothing to do with it. Everyone thought it was the cuff and labrum. 

After I was done in mid 1987, in 1988, thinking rest would help. I waited until SPT started and went to see Dr. Yocum. Dr. Yocum who blamed my shoulder issues (popping, grinding, sudden pain, loss of velo) on a torn labrum and that he needed to tighten the rotator cuff and repair the labrum (without an MRI) and wanted to cut and he would see what he needed to do when he got in there, even though I explained I had no loss of velo or pain throwing from the side only after numerous pitches over the top.. At that point. I was done! Mentally, I was toast! I got tired on anecdotes, salves, topic ointments, heat, freezer packs, injections, sleeves, tourniquets etc (I pitched for a month and couldn't feel my arm and it was blue because of the shut off of blood by using a tourniquet at upper arm/bicep and my shoulder)....looking back today CRAZY!!! I could have died..Just to play and WIN a GAME!  I also am not keen on observatory surgeries....

I later learned in 1993 it was impingement due to skeletal structure and the buildup of calcium to the shoulder blade. I had the procedure done (a horseshoe was cut out of the end of the blade to allow movement) and was training to go back but found the market luke warm for someone who hadn't pitched in 6 years I was invited to pitch in Italy, Mexico and Japan. With a new bride and a young family on the way I decided to forget about it. My Uncle had the same issue with the Yankee's and Mets in the 60's. When he walked away he blamed his shoulder injury (popping, grinding, sudden pain and then loss of velo) to overwork by Ralph Houk. We are the same individual size/skeletal structure wise if you were to look at us side by side. I'm thinking his was also due to impingement. But, once again the continued growth in sports medicine and procedures....

There were numerous factors also I believe, shoulders we did more length training (long toss even during the season and before each game and quick warm up bands and stretching which was just starting to gain traction in routine) now long toss has gone away...The guys that blew out their shoulders usually had a history of pain or unexplained loss of velo similar to my outcome and at that point in their careers they were burnt toast or old and they were kind of thrown into the "Old Pitcher file".

Also, pitch The old Dodgers taught Slider that they taught crushed ELBOWS! and they still teach it and still throw it today! Historical Terry Forster, Doug Rau, Tommy John, Even today Ryu, any Dodger who has gone down with a elbow injury if he throws the Dodger slider.... That's it! It's forced break by snap and torque that reverberates back into the elbow.

Today: This has become more 50-70-90-120ft flat ground tossing, more bands stretching and flexibility training. I can't tell you when the last time I saw actual long toss during the season by pitchers other than SPT. We threw long toss every day! 

• 1 month later...

UPDATE: August 1st
Today feels like a great day top update everyone on what's developed since this was first posted. 
Why? Because almost everyone on the list has struggled since this was posted. Why is that a good thing? 

When summer rolls around, hitters tend to warm up with the temperatures. The ball carries more. Hitters have made adjustments. Pitchers start to deal with some fatigue and lingering injuries.
Promotions can take arms into new ground against tougher competition, or bring better bats up to their level.
What the Angels have across their minor league is a wealth of arms that are not top prospects. They have a number of arms who were signed because they seemed decent, safe, but not terribly exciting. 
Early season results demonstrated that - we saw several guys post great numbers - numbers better than those of some highly-rated pitching prospects. 

And now summer has hit. And the hitters have hit. And as you see below - a lot of the numbers are not pretty for these guys. 
But there is hope. I'm updating this today because the rest of this season, today onward, will be a great opportunity for these guys to start showing that it's their turn to make adjustments. 
And if we see that these guys are able to turn around a tough summer and finish strong, it becomes, in my mind, a great indicator of who is turning a corner, and who might take the next step and become a legit pitching prospect.

PATRICK SANDOVAL - 6'3", 190, LHP, 22 years old, drafted in 2015 (11th Rd.)
Through June 13th (AA/AAA): 4.47 ERA, 1.65 WHIP, .278 BAA, 21 BB, 57 K in 44.1 IP across 12 G/11 GS
Since June 14th (AAA): 7.25 ERA, 1.86 WHIP, .305 BAA, 21 BB, 41 K, 4 HR in 36 IP across 8 GS
AAA has been a brutal experience for Sandoval - who at this time last year had just been promoted to A+ ball, an example at how fast he's moved - but he's shown signs of improvement. 
He's sporting a 5.40 ERA in July, and a 2.81 ERA over his last three starts (including a combined 11.2 IP, 5 BB, 14 K, 8 H,1 HR allowed vs. ABQ) indicating he might be starting to adjust to the difficult league.

LUIS MADERO - 6'3", 185, RHP, 22 years old, signed in 2013 (Intl. FA), acquired by LAA via trade
Through June 13th (A+/AA): 3.04 ERA, 1.28 WHIP, .251 BAA, 17 BB, 59 K in 56.1 IP across 12 G/10 GS
Since June 14th (AA): 8.39 ERA, 1.95 WHIP, .368 BAA, 11 BB, 30 K in 34.1 IP across 8 GS

Nothing but mixed results for Madero. Decent BB:K numbers are completely rendered moot by how hittable Madero has been, allowing more hits than IP in all but one start, his first at AA, and another where he walked 3 in 1.2 IP.
Being on the 40-man, Madero still has an outside chance at appearing in Anaheim in September to soak up some innings and perhaps audition for some 2020 playing time, but he might be fighting for his spot on the 40-man at this point as well. 

JEREMY BEASLEY - 6'3", 215, RHP, 23 years old, drafted in 2017 (30th Rd.)
Through June 13th (AA): 3.33 ERA, 1.44 WHIP, .256 BAA, 24 BB, 51 K in 54 IP across 12 G/11 GS
Since June 14th (AA): 4.54 ERA, 1.34 WHIP, .263 BAA, 12 BB, 38 K in 39.2 IP across 8 GS
Beasley has likely been dealing with an adjusting league - pitches per game have risen, and his innings pitched per appearance are declining. 
Four mediocre appearances and four strong appearances equal another mixed line on Beasley, which isn't really enough to give one reason to be excited or sour upon his future.

JESUS CASTILLO - 6'3", 205, RHP, 23 years old, signed in 2011 (Intl. FA), acquired by LAA via trade
Through June 13th (AA): 3.41 ERA, 1.27 WHIP, .265 BAA, 17 BB, 51 K in 66 IP across 13 G/11 GS
Since June 14th (AA): 1.31 ERA, 1.35 WHIP, .282 BAA, 4 BB, 15 K in 20.2 IP across 16 G/1 GS
Castillo made one more start after this was posted, and was then moved into the bullpen, likely in an effort to coax a little more electricity into his mild repertoire. 
His strikeout rate hasn't improved, but he has seen a minimal uptick in swinging strikes (+2%) and groundball percentage (+2%) and continues to limit runs, despite a relatively high number of baserunners allowed. 
Castillo could come back into play on the Angels depth charts simply due to his ability to pitch multiple innings, and the relief experiment is still quite early to really gauge the return.

ANDREW WANTZ - 6'4", 235, RHP, 23 years old, drafted in 2018 (7th Rd.)
Through June 13th (A+/AA): 3.33 ERA, 1.13 WHIP, .211 BAA, 19 BB, 64 K in 54 IP across 12 G/7 GS
Since June 14th (AA): 5.45 ERA, 1.67 WHIP, .270 BAA, 18 BB, 36 K in 33 IP across 8 GS
The fastest rising prospect from the Angels 2018 draft, Wantz posted an astounding 47 K in 23 IP last year in relief, and was converted to the rotation for 2019.
Wantz has been challenged in AA so far, but has continued to strike hitters out at a rate of more than one per inning. He might eventually return to a relief/multi-inning RP role, but is definitely an intriguing arm to watch as the year wraps up. 
A strong finish could place him squarely in the 2020 rotation depth charts.

DENNY BRADY - 6'1", 200, RHP, 22 years old, drafted in 2017 (7th Rd.)
Through June 13th (A+): 3.06 ERA, 1.25 WHIP, .228 BAA, 20 BB, 65 K in 53 IP across 12 G/7 GS
Since June 14th (A+): 4.94 ERA, 1.56 WHIP, .330 BAA, 5 BB, 21 K in 23.2 IP across 5 G/3 GS
A .403 BAbip has probably inflated Brady's misfortunes recently - he's also currently on the IL.
The RHP has continued to post great BB:K ratios and keep balls in the park in the HR-happy California League, only 4 on the year.

KYLE BRADISH - 6'4", 190, RHP, 22 years old, drafted in 2018 (4th Rd.)
Through June 13th (A+): 3.50 ERA, 1.31 WHIP, .228 BAA, 20 BB, 58 K in 43.2 IP across 11 G/7 GS
Since June 14th (A+): 5.72 ERA, 1.41 WHIP, .227 BAA, 15 BB, 34 K in 28.1 IP across 7 G/5 GS
One of the more thrilling Angel SP prospects, Bradish has also been bitten by the summer slump, tagged for 9 ER in his last two June starts.
July has been much more standard Bradish however, as he's worked to a 3.74 ERA and .195 BAA on the month.
A promotion to AA by year's end could happen, and strong performance could put him in the Angels '20 depth plans.

OLIVER ORTEGA - 6'0", 165, RHP, 22 years old, signed in 2015 (Intl. FA)
Through June 13th (A+): 3.26 ERA, 1.29 WHIP, .203 BAA, 33 BB, 74 K in 58 IP across 12 G/11 GS
Since June 14th (A+): 3.47 ERA, 1.13 WHIP, .191 BAA, 16 BB, 47 K in 36.1 IP across 8 G/6 GS
"Who would have guessed Oliver Ortega would be leading the Angels org in strikeouts in mid-June? Who even knows who Oliver Ortega is?" is what I wrote a few weeks back.
Since then, no other Angels pitching prospect has made more of an impression than Ortega, who flashed electric stuff at the California League All-Star Game and has only bettered his numbers.
He's Rule 5 eligible this winter, so I expect the Angels to move him to AA sooner rather than later as a final test to determine his future in the org, which is starting to look certain.

AARON HERNANDEZ - 6'1", 170, RHP, 22 years old, drafted in 2018 (3rd Rd.)
Through June 13th (A+): 4.26 ERA, 1.74 WHIP, .279 BAA, 21 BB, 35 K in 31.2 IP across 9 G/7 GS
Since June 14th (A+): 6.33 ERA, 1.92 WHIP, .330 BAA, 11 BB, 26 K in 21.1 IP across 6 G/4 GS
Hernandez has been undoubtedly the victim of some bad luck, as his BAbip since 6/14 is .446, and control to be a bit of a concern. 
Strikeout rates remain high, giving some hope of at least a future as a reliever.

CRISTOPHER MOLINA - 6'3", 170, RHP, 22 years old, signed in 2013 (Intl. FA)
Through June 13th (A): 2.61 ERA, 1.07 WHIP, .193 BAA, 22 BB, 65 K in 58.2 IP across 12 G/9 GS
Since June 14th (A/A+): 3.95 ERA, 1.29 WHIP, .276 BAA, 10 BB, 29 K in 41 IP across 8 GS

Molina only made one more start at Burlington before being promoted to A+ Inland Empire, and he hasn't missed a beat. 
His strikeout rates dipped a bit and he's allowed more hits, but he's been as durable and consistent as he was in Burlington, now at 99.2 IP on the year.

JOSE SORIANO - 6'3", 168, RHP, 20 years old, signed in 2016 (Intl. FA)
Through June 13th (A): 2.47 ERA, 1.26 WHIP, .201 BAA, 35 BB, 70 K in 62 IP across 13 G/11 GS
Since June 14th (A): 5 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 6 BB, 2 K, HR
Currently out with injury, Soriano only made one appearance following this original post.

HECTOR YAN - 5'11", 180, LHP, 20 years old, signed in 2015 (Intl. FA)
Through June 13th (A): 3.86 ERA, 1.40 WHIP, .220 BAA, 26 BB, 66 K in 44.1 IP across 12 G/8 GS
Since June 14th (A): 3.00 ERA, 0.95 WHIP, .161 BAA, 15 BB, 51 K in 39 IP across 8 GS
Yan continues to string together quality performances - following this initial post, he pitched two hitless outings totaling 11.1 IP with 12 K. 
Walks continue to be a bit of an issue, but when opponents can't hit better than .200, it doesn't matter much. 
Yan's only allowed four home runs in 83.1 IP on the year, coupled with 117 strikeouts - most in the organization and good for a 12.6 K/9.

COLE DUENSING - 6'4", 175, RHP, 21 years old, drafted in 2016 (6th Rd.)
Through June 13th (A): 4.36 ERA, 1.55 WHIP, .250 BAA, 33 BB, 51 K in 44.1 IP across 12 G/9 GS
Since June 14th (A): 5.60 ERA, 1.61 WHIP, .247 BAA, 20 BB, 24 K in 27.1 IP across 8 G/6 GS
Perhaps the only bright side in Duensing's recent performance is the simple fact that he has been consistent virtually all season - which presents a huge improvement over his performance last year. 
While he still struggles with command, the strong strikeout numbers, lack of hits, and strong groundball rates still hint at potential as a SP and a strong future relief candidate.

KYLE TYLER - 6'0", 185, RHP, 22 years old, drafted in 2018 (20th Rd.)
Through June 13th (A): 4.31 ERA, 1.16 WHIP, .217 BAA, 19 BB, 53 K in 54.1 IP across 12 G/9 GS
Since June 14th (A): 0.71 ERA, 0.87 WHIP, .157 BAA, 13 BB, 21 K in 38 IP across 7 G/5 GS
Perhaps the next-best surprise behind Oliver Ortega is the unlikely dominance of one Kyle Tyler, the Angels' 20th round pick in the 2018 draft. Tyler hasn't allowed a HR since June 13th, and has been virtually untouchable for more than a month.
Tyler's calling card currently seems to be relying on infield defense (a near 60% GB rate in this time) and solid command, and working efficiently, throwing a lot of strikes and getting a lot of strikes looking.
This doesn't bode well for long-term dominance, but if Tyler can continue to develop himself as a groundball-inducing control wizard, he'll find his way into MLB depth charts in time.

ROBINSON PINA - 6'4", 180, RHP, 20 years old, signed in 2017 (Intl. FA)
Through June 13th (A): 3.22 ERA, 1.33 WHIP, .193 BAA, 32 BB, 61 K in 50.1 IP across 12 G/7 GS
Since June 14th (A): 5.40 ERA, 1.40 WHIP, .242 BAA, 17 BB, 46 K in 35 IP across 8 GS
Not particularly flashy, Pina continues to be simply consistent and reliable, and has been one of the more durable Angel farmhands since joining the org in 2017 as an international free agent.
Pina hasn't allowed a home run since May 22nd, and his strikeout rate has increased as well, up to 11.2 since 6/14. Only 20 years old and 6'4", Pina's projectable as can be and could be a fast-riser.

LUIS ALVARADO - 6'4", 210, RHP, 22 years old, drafted in 2018 (17th Rd.)
Through June 13th (A): 2.25 ERA, 1.13 WHIP, .186 BAA, 22 BB, 60 K in 48 IP across 12 G/7 GS Has allowed 2 or fewer earned runs in all but one game, and only 3 ER in the other.
Since June 14th (A): 5.40 ERA, 1.39 WHIP, .265 BAA, 13 BB, 25 K in 31.2 IP across 7 GS
Alvarado has gradually added more innings to his appearances - he had really been profiling as a multi-inning reliever/spot-starter to start the year - but has since started every appearance and built up to 80-90 pitches.
Not particularly dominant in any one aspect, Alvarado's decline in strikeout rate is a bit worrisome, but his results are still effective. 

COOPER CRISWELL - 6'6", 200, RHP, 22 years old, drafted in 2018 (13th Rd.)
Through June 13th (A+): 2.25 ERA, 1.13 WHIP, .186 BAA, 22 BB, 60 K in 48 IP across 12 G/7 GS Has allowed 2 or fewer earned runs in all but one game, and only 3 ER in the other.
Since June 14th (A+): 3.23 ERA, 1.27 WHIP, .286 BAA, 7 BB, 47 K in 47.1 IP across 9 G/8 GS
Criswell wasn't pitching well enough in mid-June to be included initially, but his performance since has forced his inclusion. The 6'6" RHP has posted a fantastic BB:K to ratio since June - 10 BB vs. 55 K in 52.2 IP, and only allowed 2 HR over the summer. 
Criswell attacks the zone and throws strikes - a 65% strike rate on the season generates a lot of strikeouts in the process, all while maintaining hits and home runs. This is a recipe for success.

As with the first post, this still doesn't even cover all of the interesting starting pitching.
Matt Ball has a 4.41 ERA between AA/AAA and a K rate of 10.4. Zack Kelly has also been converted to the rotation and posting strong numbers. 
Chris RodriguezStiward Aquino, John Swanda, Jack Kochanowicz, Sadrac Franco, Jake Lee, Travis Herrin, Adrian De Horta, Jennry Gonzalez, Jerryell Rivera, Alejandro Duran, Connor Van Scoyoc, and Jose Natera are others either producing intriguing results or come with heavy prospect pedigree which could vault them forward. 

Edited by totdprods