• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

More teams jump in on Harper bid

Dodgers appear to be in on a short-term deal.

Is anyone else sick of all this "buzz" going around about Harper?

Side note, even though I can't stand the Dodgers, I 100% respect them for never being afraid to show the money despite already kissing the tax threshold. 

Makes you wonder how many teams really are worried about the money they make so their pockets look nicer. This leads me to think that it's not an owner issue or a player issue. It's both. Players are calling out the owners for not spending the money and pocketing it all whereas the owners are saying "I'm not dishing out $300+M for 10+ years" 

I'm not saying the Angels should bid, but you could never have enough depth (like the Dodgers always do). Specially when Upton is already having knee issues.... If an AL team got in the bidding war then I'll bet that Harper signs with them. DH is a very attractive offer when you're talking long term. 

Screen Shot 2019-02-25 at 9.06.24 AM.png

39 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Dodgers appear to be in on a short-term deal.

Is anyone else sick of all this "buzz" going around about Harper?

Side note, even though I can't stand the Dodgers, I 100% respect them for never being afraid to show the money despite already kissing the tax threshold. 

Makes you wonder how many teams really are worried about the money they make so their pockets look nicer. This leads me to think that it's not an owner issue or a player issue. It's both. Players are calling out the owners for not spending the money and pocketing it all whereas the owners are saying "I'm not dishing out $300+M for 10+ years" 

I'm not saying the Angels should bid, but you could never have enough depth (like the Dodgers always do). Specially when Upton is already having knee issues.... If an AL team got in the bidding war then I'll bet that Harper signs with them. DH is a very attractive offer when you're talking long term. 

Screen Shot 2019-02-25 at 9.06.24 AM.png

If he would even consider a short term deal, then yes we should be in on it.
He is exactly what this team needs, LH pop, high OBP, could easily move to 1B post Albert if needed as he has the size of Calhoun can now, or even move to LF post Upton or when Adell is ready.  
Will we, no.  Were not planning to make that level of effort right now and that nasty old budget that Arte needs to save up to buy Fox spots will get in the way, but there is little arguing it makes sense from a numbers perspective.... money is of course always another discussion.

I am not sick of the Harper talk at all.  The alternative right now would be stories about Puig deciding to bring his 4 pitbulls to Spring Training and how he manages them, or Derek Jeter making an exexutive decision to change curfew rules or some other absolutely brain numbing nonsense.

9 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

More Boras BS, nothing to see here.

Is it?  i mean think about it it does, at this stage of the game, make perfect sense for someone to try to swoop in.  You may well be right, and a month ago i would have agreed, but right now i think anyone with a brain and even an inkling of interest in the player might try to make a steal here and at least throw something up against the wall. 

23 minutes ago, floplag said:

Is it?  i mean think about it it does, at this stage of the game, make perfect sense for someone to try to swoop in.  You may well be right, and a month ago i would have agreed, but right now i think anyone with a brain and even an inkling of interest in the player might try to make a steal here and at least throw something up against the wall. 

He had a deal for $300M on the table from the Nationals. I'm guessing that Washington would still pay that if Harper were to return. Boras is trying to drum up more business, and no one is interested enough to pay more, IMO. Working against him is the fact that Harper has not been a consistent top producer. He is prone to off years, not something that you are looking for if you're laying out nine figures on a contract.

10 minutes ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

He had a deal for $300M on the table from the Nationals. I'm guessing that Washington would still pay that if Harper were to return. Boras is trying to drum up more business, and no one is interested enough to pay more, IMO. Working against him is the fact that Harper has not been a consistent top producer. He is prone to off years, not something that you are looking for if you're laying out nine figures on a contract.

I agree that Boras will use any means necessary, but that doesnt mean everything we hear is Boras based.  In this one case i think its credible to believe others may have chimed in. 

22 minutes ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

How were the TV ratings, attendance, and hat/jersey sales during his "off" years?

Like it or not Bryce Harper is an attention magnet and is therefore a superstar by its strictest definition.

He doesnt have to be an MVP every year to be worth the attention he brings your team.

Was Reggie Jackson an MVP every year?  Nope.  But he was a superstar attention magnet worth every dime he got when teams "overpaid" him.

26 minutes ago, floplag said:

If he would even consider a short term deal, then yes we should be in on it.
He is exactly what this team needs, LH pop, high OBP, could easily move to 1B post Albert if needed as he has the size of Calhoun can now, or even move to LF post Upton or when Adell is ready.  
Will we, no.  Were not planning to make that level of effort right now and that nasty old budget that Arte needs to save up to buy Fox spots will get in the way, but there is little arguing it makes sense from a numbers perspective.... money is of course always another discussion.

You're the only one to agree with me that's it's a shot worth taking. Harper could easily move to 1B at some point. That point would likely happen once Upton is on the way out given Upton should be moved to 1B and alternate with Thaiss at some point. To agree with the Dodgers.... you can NEVER have too much depth.

I think Defense should look like this for 2019 and 2020: ( NOTE 2019-2020 marked in BLACK, 2021-future marked in RED)

C- Lucroy then Briceno then Kruger 

1B- Pujols then Bour then Thaiss then Upton then Harper

2B- Fletcher then Rengifo then Jones

SS- Simmons

3B- Cozart then Ward

LF- Upton then Bourjos then Adell and (Marsh bench option potential RF when Harper move to 1B after Upton is gone)

CF- Trout

RF- Harper then Marsh then Adams

DH- Ohtani/Upton/Harper/Trout

At the end of the day we can't expect Marsh, Adams or Knowles to all be on the team. Likely Marsh (depending how Adams progresses) will be trade bait.

23 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

How were the TV ratings, attendance, and hat/jersey sales during his "off" years?

Like it or not Bryce Harper is an attention magnet and is therefore a superstar by its strictest definition.

He doesnt have to be an MVP every year to be worth the attention he brings your team.

Was Reggie Jackson an MVP every year?  Nope.  But he was a superstar attention magnet worth every dime he got when teams "overpaid" him.

He's the guy that helps market your team. Arte Moreno said recently that Pujols has done tremendous things for the Angels organization. Clearly he's talking about marketing and how the Angels brand has grown since he's been here. Arte is a marketing genius and it would still stun me if he never made a tiny push for Harper. Arte also made it clear he's not afraid of big contracts. He knows how to market this team and Harper paired with Trout and Ohtani is exactly it....

If the Dodgers sign Harper then it would be a slap in the face to all big spending teams like the Angels, Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs and Giants that you can still spend big money and develop a strong farm system. Like i've said before, I hate the Dodgers, but it must be an amazing time to be a Dodgers fan knowing the front office knows how to build a farm and also direct all their funds to building an incredible lineup every night. To me, they are a baseball team that puts winning before anything.

4 minutes ago, Blarg said:

He has had an MVP year just once in 7. The rest of the time he has been Justin Upton. 

Fully understand that.  And Reggie Jackson had zero MVPs at Harper's age, and finished his career with one.

I am merely saying some players justify more staggering contracts because of their actual star power and not just from stats.

Harper has massive star power.

5 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Fully understand that.  And Reggie Jackson had zero MVPs at Harper's age, and finished his career with one.

I am merely saying some players justify more staggering contracts because of their actual star power and not just from stats.

Harper has massive star power.

He's still above Upton production too. LH power bat that knows how to get on base even when the bat is struggling. That's a guy we need to hit on front of Trout. He's faster than Upton as well. 

19 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

You're the only one to agree with me that's it's a shot worth taking. Harper could easily move to 1B at some point. That point would likely happen once Upton is on the way out given Upton should be moved to 1B and alternate with Thaiss at some point. To agree with the Dodgers.... you can NEVER have too much depth.

I think Defense should look like this for 2019 and 2020: ( NOTE 2019-2020 marked in BLACK, 2021-future marked in RED)

C- Lucroy then Briceno then Kruger 

1B- Pujols then Bour then Thaiss then Upton then Harper

2B- Fletcher then Rengifo then Jones

SS- Simmons

3B- Cozart then Ward

LF- Upton then Bourjos then Adell and (Marsh bench option potential RF when Harper move to 1B after Upton is gone)

CF- Trout

RF- Harper then Marsh then Adams

DH- Ohtani/Upton/Harper/Trout

At the end of the day we can't expect Marsh, Adams or Knowles to all be on the team. Likely Marsh (depending how Adams progresses) will be trade bait.

Well ive been vocal about my opinion on sacrificing the now for the later and doing something like this checks both boxes which is all ive been asking for. 
On the field i think he puts us in the post with a core of Trout/Harper/Ohtani/Upton if the pitching is even close to what we hope.
Off the field, well thats a different discussion and those who say the money is too much or it isnt value are probably right, but these things rarely if ever are. 
In a "down" year, he put up 34 bombs and a 393 OBP, and hes 26.  Hes a LH bat which would slot perfectly between Trout and Upton.  He still has some growing up to do but could actually get better.   If there is a player worth that risk not named Trout, its him.
Do i think it has any chance of happening, no, but i would be pleased as punch if it did.

50 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Reggie in his prime wasn't up and down OPS+ wise like Harper has been so far.  Take away Harper's best season so far, and Jackson's OPS+ for the first 6 seasons has Harper's first 6 seasons' OPS+ beat by a decent margin.   

I also don't understand the "no on Harper, we have Trout who is better" angle.

If you love your home, does that mean you have no interest in a killer second home?

I can't think of any player the Angels signed that could possibly make me like Trout any less.

Landing a flashy vacation house on the beach is no reflection on how I feel about my main house for my family in the burbs.

More is more.