• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rule 5 Draft Thread

totdprods

Just now, Chuckster70 said:

We already have a bunch of those types, better in fact. 

If it's between Fletcher, Wong and Rengifo for second base next year, it would actually be pretty comparable. 

Wong is a better overall hitter than both Fletcher and Rengifo right now.  He hits for average, has more pop, and gets on base.  If Rengifo keeps developing at the rate he has, then I think this may change in a month or two, but as of right now, Wong's bat is the best of the bunch, and it projects the best out of those three, and not by a little. 

But when factoring in defense, let's just say that Wong isn't even in the same class as Fletch or even Rengifo.  Wong has good hands and footwork, but his range and arm are pretty weak. 

As an overall player though, it's a lot closer than you think. 

I was worried Walsh, Pena or even Gatto would be picked up.  All three have their warts but all three bring something to the table.  Walsh has potential as a two-way player and can hit for power and reach base, though I've yet to read a single report that actually believes these tools will transition to the major league level.  Lots of skepticism, but also lots to hope and dream on.  Pena, I thought for sure would be selected.  He has reliever written all over him, and I think he'll make a good one once the transition is made.  And Gatto, there's lots to build on.  He's big, and throws a hard, heavy ball with a great curve.  I understand why the Angels have kept trying to work him in as a starter, but I think at some point, a move to the pen could do him some good.  His fastball is too straight right now, and when hitters catch up with it, the ball flies.  I think if he used it a lot less in favor of a cutter or two seamer, he'd lose a couple ticks on the radar gun, but gain a big competitive advantage.