• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Erick Aybar =/= Leadoff Hitter

jshep

Well, I wasn't starting this thread based on any particular that's happened in this game. That AB leading off the game where he bounced a clear ball back to the mound was dumb though.

More based on the fact that he's a low OBP guy, who's putting an even lower OBP of .271 this year is still being penciled into the leadoff spot night after night and that should stop happening.

Well, I wasn't starting this thread based on any particular that's happened in this game.

More based on the fact that he's a low OBP guy, who's putting an even lower OBP of .271 this year is still being penciled into the leadoff spot night after night and that should stop happening.

...and the fact that we have the greatest leadoff hitter in the game makes it even more puzzling.

Last year no longer means anything. This is entirely a what are you doing for me today job. He has been hitting much better in the #2 spot in the batting order so leave him there and address other problems by finding a better fit for leadoff.

Last year no longer means anything. This is entirely a what are you doing for me today job. He has been hitting much better in the #2 spot in the batting order so leave him there and address other problems by finding a better fit for leadoff.

According to this theory Angels should keep trout in CF with Bourjos in left. Trout's LF / CF splits this year are terrible, evne though they were fine last year. 

Note: I don't actually agree with this theory, although it's very popular amongst many Angels fans who mostly remember Trout's highlight reel plays, and don't remember his late throws to the plate instead of to cutoff man etc which happen much much more frequently than robbed home runs (and Bourjos is capable of bringing back home runs too).

Okay, I agree, Trout would be stinking the joint up if he was batting leadoff for us and last year doesn't mean anything. Only what you're doing for me today matters. Okay, then please give me an explanation why one of the worst hitters I've seen in 36 years of watching Angels baseball is still batting 5th every night.

You don't throw out ability and facts (Trout's stats hitting leadoff in 2012) because of three weeks (small sample size) of starts from Trout in the leadoff spot this April.

Trout is the team's best leadoff hitter period. His speed is best utilized out of that spot as well.

As I mentioned prior to the season, the Angels need Trout leading off and Callaspo hitting second.

Scioscia is really dropping the ball here with this lineup and the way he manages the pitching staff.

Main problem of Trout hitting second is that Pujols completely blocks him on the bases.

Scioscia most lilkely will not let him steal when Pujols is batting for whatever reason.

Trout batting leadoff and Callaspo being able to handle deep counts without striking out will help both players.

Only the leadoff spot is a "what have you done for me today job?" So if our #5 hitter is batting 212 we should continue to give him chances there based on what he has done in the past, but the leadoff spot gets a quick hook?

Makes a ton of sense :wacko:

Trout isn't the best lead off hitter on the team, he is the best hitter on the team period. I like him at the 2 spot. At least he will have the ability to either hit a 2 run bomb or hit Aybar in. If Trout leads off, he'll just be stranded at 2nd or 3rd.

But for the most part I believe the significance of a lead off hitter is greatly exaggerated. It only makes a difference for the 1st inning of the game. The Angels problems are far greater than Trout moving up 1 spot in the lineup.

How exactly is Trout supposed to hit a 2 run bomb or hit Aybar in if Aybar is only on base 27% of the time? Trout may as well lead off so that Aybar can at least get a productive out, since he likes to get out a lot.

How exactly is Trout supposed to get hit in with Aybar, Pujols and Trumbo behind him?

Hopefully we get  Bourjos back in a couple weeks and Aybar can go back to the eight spot where he belongs.

I'd prefer Trout leading off with Bourjos hitting second, but I've seen Sciocia's act long enough to know it's probably not happening.

How exactly is Trout supposed to get hit in with Aybar, Pujols and Trumbo behind him?

He has a better chance of getting driven in by Pujols and Trumbo when he is on 2nd than he does with them batting behind him with 1 out and he is on first. Like was said earlier, Trout should be turned loose more on the base paths leading off than he does hitting 2nd with Pujols batting behind him.

Best would be Bourjos in lead off then Trout. Bourjos is fastest on the paths. So with a lead off double, Petey could score off a Trout single. If Petey is on 1st, he could leg it out to third. With Pete at 3rd and Trout at 1st, what is a catcher to do when Trout goes for the steal?