• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Erick Aybar =/= Leadoff Hitter

jshep

Best would be Bourjos in lead off then Trout. Bourjos is fastest on the paths. So with a lead off double, Petey could score off a Trout single. If Petey is on 1st, he could leg it out to third. With Pete at 3rd and Trout at 1st, what is a catcher to do when Trout goes for the steal?

I would be for this if Petey can show that he is capable of walking more and striking out less. 4 to 1 K/BB ratio is not exactly ideal at leadoff spot.

Best would be Bourjos in lead off then Trout. Bourjos is fastest on the paths. So with a lead off double, Petey could score off a Trout single. If Petey is on 1st, he could leg it out to third. With Pete at 3rd and Trout at 1st, what is a catcher to do when Trout goes for the steal?

The problem so far this year is that in this scenario, Pujol's would be at bat and Sciocia wouldn't give Trout the green light.

One of the many baffling things with his managing this year.

The problem so far this year is that in this scenario, Pujol's would be at bat and Sciocia wouldn't give Trout the green light.

One of the many baffling things with his managing this year.

Which leads to many double plays. And Petey is not guaranteed to be on 3rd every time Trout is on First. Especially since he doesn't walk much

The lead off spot just needs to get on base. Peter's OBP this year is .370. Since he's already getting on base with hits, the K/BB ratio isn't all that important. But I will admit his stats do seem a bit high and expect him to level off. Until then, strike while the iron is hot.

I have a question. . .

Aside from the occasional day off/pinch hitting role, has Puljos hit any place besides the three spot in any game he's started as an Angel?

I can't recall one, but maybe I missed it.

I have a question. . .

Aside from the occasional day off/pinch hitting role, has Puljos hit any place besides the three spot in any game he's started as an Angel?

I can't recall one, but maybe I missed it.

No. As an Angel, he's only hit 3rd. 

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6619/situational;_ylt=AludbMaG5kzYuqsoCHfQ0P6FCLcF?year=2012&type=Batting

Thanks. . 

So the chance of moving Albert out of the three hole is pretty much nil.

Oh well, it's pretty much a lost season anyway.

I would like them to start playing a smarter brand of baseball and be less annoying to watch tho. . .

Last year no longer means anything. This is entirely a what are you doing for me today job. He has been hitting much better in the #2 spot in the batting order so leave him there and address other problems by finding a better fit for leadoff.

Eric Naughty Notti, teams that score first in the MLB win 70% of the time. With Michael Nelson Trout at lead off you have a guy who is going to be in scoring position at least 30% of the time with nobody out based on his stolen base % and last years OBP. Then you place someone in the 2 hole who can get MNT over to 3rd with one out so AP can drive him in with a ground out/sac fly. 1-0 LAA. Now you have an LAA pitcher staked to a minimum 1-0 lead in the first, which is a step in the right direction in generating confidence.

Side note: MNT legs are his biggest asset....keep him fit as a fiddle and stretched like a mofo. Let the leagues know he is a gazelle with stolen base prowess. And that he is going to create havoc on the bases. GET HIM ROLLING!

Eric Naughty Notti, teams that score first in the MLB win 70% of the time. With Michael Nelson Trout at lead off you have a guy who is going to be in scoring position at least 30% of the time with nobody out based on his stolen base % and last years OBP. Then you place someone in the 2 hole who can get MNT over to 3rd with one out so AP can drive him in with a ground out/sac fly. 1-0 LAA. Now you have an LAA pitcher staked to a minimum 1-0 lead in the first, which is a step in the right direction in generating confidence.

Side note: MNT legs are his biggest asset....keep him fit as a fiddle and stretched like a mofo. Let the leagues know he is a gazelle with stolen base prowess. And that he is going to create havoc on the bases. GET HIM ROLLING!

I don't know where to start with this, because I agree to some extent, but think it is ridiculous in other aspects. I'll start with what I was going to say originally, which is, this only rings true if we are on the road. If we are at home, with our pitching staff, when MNT scores in the first inning it now makes it 3-1 bad guys. I don't agree with you that his legs are his biggest asset, because he could lose a step and still be a 7 WAR player. His legs are just one of the many things that make him an amazing player. Also, I am guessing the league knows about his stolen base prowess, the league also watches games, and if they don't, they look at the back of his baseball card and read 49 stolen bases.

...and the fact that we have the greatest leadoff hitter in the game makes it even more puzzling.

It is pretty clear Scioscia wants to use Trout as a run producer.  That is why he is not leading off.   It really isn't that puzzling.  Personally, I disagree with the strategy as I like Trout leading off and Aybar or Callaspo second.  That way we can utilize Trout's speed.

You don't throw out ability and facts (Trout's stats hitting leadoff in 2012) because of three weeks (small sample size) of starts from Trout in the leadoff spot this April.

Trout is the team's best leadoff hitter period. His speed is best utilized out of that spot as well.

As I mentioned prior to the season, the Angels need Trout leading off and Callaspo hitting second.

Scioscia is really dropping the ball here with this lineup and the way he manages the pitching staff.

I agree with you regarding the lineup.  I think it is a mistake on how they are using Trout.  But how is Scioscia mismanaging the pitching staff again?  Are you suggesting this staff would be adequate with another manager?

At this point people are arguing whether they want to see Trout leadoff and end up stranded to end the inning or bat second and end up stranded to end the inning. At least batting 2nd his OPS is .200 points higher so he is a little more exciting to watch standing on 2nd base for the last out or two.

Eric Naughty Notti, teams that score first in the MLB win 70% of the time. With Michael Nrelson Trout at lead off you have a guy who is going to be in scoring position at least 30% of the time with nobody out based on his stolen base % and last years OBP. Then you place someone in the 2 hole who can get MNT over to 3rd with one out so AP can drive him in with a ground out/sac fly. 1-0 LAA. Now you have an LAA pitcher staked to a minimum 1-0 lead in the first, which is a step in the right direction in generating confidence.

Trout on 3b with Pujols up = Trout out at home on the contact play when Pujols hits a grounder to third.

Trout shouldn't leadoff, he leads the team in RBI and he is the best hitter.  He should be in the third spot, but second works for now.

Aybar is not a good leadoff hitter, he never has been.  Bourjos was doing well there before the injury.  There really isn't anyone on this team that would be a good lead off hitter until Bourjos gets back, providing he can hit like he did before he got hurt.

Right now Trout batting 3rd just means he comes to the plate with no one on and 2 outs.

Deck chair shuffling on the Titanic is solving nothing.

Trout shouldn't leadoff, he leads the team in RBI and he is the best hitter.  He should be in the third spot, but second works for now.

Aybar is not a good leadoff hitter, he never has been.  Bourjos was doing well there before the injury.  There really isn't anyone on this team that would be a good lead off hitter until Bourjos gets back, providing he can hit like he did before he got hurt.

2nd doesn't work for now because this team isn't scoring enough runs! Last season they were scoring plenty of runs when Trout led off followed by Hunter. If Callaspo or Aybar can produce even a step below what Hunter did last season in the 2 spot, the Angels offense would be better.

I like Bourjos batting 9th and having Trout in the on deck circle. Makes the bottom of the lineup a bit more threatening.

This team needs to maximize their run-scoring ability with this atrocious pitching staff. It's time to make some changes. I would even drop Hamilton to 7th just for a week to wake his ass up and hopefully get him going, then move him back to 4th.

Trout

Callaspo

Pujols

Trumbo

Kendrick

Aybar

Hamilton

Iannetta

Bourjos

Switch Shuck for Bourjos until Petey returns.