• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Thoughts on robotic ball/strike calls?

eaterfan

You're right, the zone definition will have to be modified to implement this, but is that so bad?  I've always thought that a crouching stance affords an advantage over a standing stance.  I realize that the rule is "stance as prepared to swing" so I think there is some gray area between stance and posture when commencing the swing, but either way I believe an umpire will be influenced by a crouching stance.  Wouldn't it be better to assign the horizontal parameters of the zone by taking a measurement of the player's bottom of the knee and a fixed point below the shoulder instead of using the vague definition of where the player wears his pants?  Example, measure from bottom of knee to top of shoulder and multiply by .6.  This would give each player a fixed zone based on his anatomy, not his stance.  Obviously the system would have to align the zone for the height of the bottom of the knee as well.  All this can be done before the season starts and be a requirement for all call-ups.

That would make it a different zone for each player.  That's why if a robotic system is implemented, IMO, you would have to change the strike zone to a fixed zone.  That way, no matter what the stance or height of a person is, the zone would be the same for everyone.  The bottom and top of the strike zone would be so many inches, and the plate of course would be the other measurement.  Of course this is a huge change from the historical strike zone.  And adjustments will need to be made.  My guess is, with a 3d robotic system, the strike zone will become smaller, probably the area around the waist.  Because top to bottom, the movement is greater than left to right.  And guys like Kershaw will be feasting on dropping the ball down into the back of the zone from above the head.

That would make it a different zone for each player.  That's why if a robotic system is implemented, IMO, you would have to change the strike zone to a fixed zone.  That way, no matter what the stance or height of a person is, the zone would be the same for everyone.  The bottom and top of the strike zone would be so many inches, and the plate of course would be the other measurement.  Of course this is a huge change from the historical strike zone.  And adjustments will need to be made.  My guess is, with a 3d robotic system, the strike zone will become smaller, probably the area around the waist.  Because top to bottom, the movement is greater than left to right.  And guys like Kershaw will be feasting on dropping the ball down into the back of the zone from above the head.

The zone is already different for each player based on anatomy and stance.  I'm just suggesting to eliminate stance from the equation and standardize the top line of the zone from a somewhat vague "midway between top of shoulders and belt" to a fixed proportional distance from the top of the shoulder.  The zone has to adjust for the height of the player in some form or fashion.  I don't think a fixed zone will ever be considered.