• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Surplus of infielders?

I never thought I'd say that but yeah.

1B-Pujols, Trumbo, Calhoun, Cron

2B-Howie, Green

SS-Aybar, Lindsey

3B- Nelson, Jimenez, Cowart

I'm sure I'm forgetting players but all of these are either here or close

I probably wouldn't call it a surplus, I'd call it building depth. Who knows though, Dipoto might trade one of those away if he can.

I never thought I'd say that but yeah.

1B-Pujols, Trumbo, Calhoun, Cron

2B-Howie, Green

SS-Aybar, Lindsey

3B- Nelson, Jimenez, Cowart

I'm sure I'm forgetting players but all of these are either here or close

Depth as in live bodies? Sure.

Depth as in above average everyday players for a first division team? Nope.

The only 3 players that have had a 3+ WAR season, or who really have shown the ability to in the future, are the Albert Pujols, Aybar and Kendrick.

It should actually be more like this:

1B - Pujols, Trumbo, Calhoun, Cron

2B - Kendrick, Green, Lindsey, Yarbrough

SS - Aybar, Romine, Stamets, Rondon

3B - Nelson, Green, Jimenez, Cowart

OF - Trout, Hamilton, Bourjos, Trumbo, Calhoun, Long, Grichuk, Borenstein

If you're kind you could slot Soto in between Stamets and Rondon. But I wouldn't really call SS or 3B positions of "depth" because for SS, Romine is not a starter, Stamets may not be either, and we just don't know yet with Rondon - he's in Rookie ball. Rondon could be a star or flame out in AA. And 3B has all sorts of question marks.

So I wouldn't say that SS or 3B has much depth. There is some depth at 1B, 2B, and OF. The key for Dipoto will be how to turn some of that into young pitching. The problem is that none of the young players project as likely stars. One or two could surprise, but most will be somewhere between platoon players and average+ regulars.

If I were Dipoto, I'd be shopping Trumbo, Bourjos and Calhoun and seeing who gets the best offer. I'd also see if anyone want Kendrick. I probably wouldn't trade Lindsey or Yarbrough yet and wait and see how they do next year. The same with Cron - not because I want to see him as an Angel, but that his value is pretty low now and I'd like to see how he does in the launching pad of Salt Lake.

Borenstein is an interesting case because his numbers could be a fluke, or he could be the next Calhoun. If someone sees those numbers and offers a good pitching prospect, then I think you've got to trade him, but I'd like to see what he does next year in AA.

Depth as in live bodies? Sure.

Depth as in above average everyday players for a first division team? Nope.

The only 3 players that have had a 3+ WAR season, or who really have shown the ability to in the future, are the Albert Pujols, Aybar and Kendrick.

It is pretty obvious that the depth chart is primarily minor league players or guys with limited MLB experience so none of those would have accumulated WAR status.