• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread (4/17/24): Angels @ Rays: Detmers on the mound, O'Hoppe hitting cleanup, Schanuel dropped to 8th

46 minutes ago, drpiranha said:

I agree, but players that slide feet 1st usually bend 1 leg for a pop-up slide, so if it is an errant throw, they get up quick to take an extra base. Most players slide head 1st, so you can maneuver your hand to avoid a tag.

Yes, that is true enough, but sliding head first into an armored catcher is a bit more hazardous. I just chalk that up to a good throw from the outfielder and an even better throw from the relay man to home plate, which the catcher snapped down a quick, accurate tag. 

21 minutes ago, EDinTUSTIN said:

Yes, that is true enough, but sliding head first into an armored catcher is a bit more hazardous. I just chalk that up to a good throw from the outfielder and an even better throw from the relay man to home plate, which the catcher snapped down a quick, accurate tag. 

That used to be a problem, but starting this year, they can no longer block the plate,without the baseball in their possession.

12 minutes ago, drpiranha said:

That used to be a problem, but starting this year, they can no longer block the plate,without the baseball in their possession.

That rule has been in place for a long while.  You might be thinking of the revised rules on 2nd and 3rd base, allowing a runner a lane to the bag and not being able to block it off. 

That is a good point for sure, but I am not sure maneuvering his hand in that situation would've made that much of a difference, but then again, his prone body would've been closer to the ground than he would've been sliding on his hip I guess. I will have to watch the replays on that. Frankly, I am somewhat tired of all these challenges. All the talk of a robo strike zone, the challenges, etc., are taking the human-judgement aspect out of the game.

1 minute ago, EDinTUSTIN said:

All the talk of a robo strike zone, the challenges, etc., are taking the human-judgement aspect out of the game.

Are we talking human judgement or Angel Hernadez's judgement? 

47 minutes ago, EDinTUSTIN said:

That is a good point for sure, but I am not sure maneuvering his hand in that situation would've made that much of a difference, but then again, his prone body would've been closer to the ground than he would've been sliding on his hip I guess. I will have to watch the replays on that.

I'd say with the new rules, sliding into home head first is probably a safer move than any other base considering the plate is flat, and catchers are now supposed to allow a lane to home plate until they have possession of the ball.

53 minutes ago, EDinTUSTIN said:

Frankly, I am somewhat tired of all these challenges. All the talk of a robo strike zone, the challenges, etc., are taking the human-judgement aspect out of the game.

I used to really like the human-judgement aspect of the game too, but I am so sick and tired of the umpires being wrong and having an impact on the outcome of the game. Every day I see several calls overturned.

To me, the important thing is to get the call right, human aspect be damned. Especially considering the strike zone. It's the last thing the MLB is letting the umps have control over, and they still suck!

18 hours ago, CaliAngel said:

I'd say with the new rules, sliding into home head first is probably a safer move than any other base considering the plate is flat, and catchers are now supposed to allow a lane to home plate until they have possession of the ball.

I used to really like the human-judgement aspect of the game too, but I am so sick and tired of the umpires being wrong and having an impact on the outcome of the game. Every day I see several calls overturned.

To me, the important thing is to get the call right, human aspect be damned. Especially considering the strike zone. It's the last thing the MLB is letting the umps have control over, and they still suck!

And the umpire's union is has clout, so getting rid of them or demoting them is difficult. Otherwise, the poor performing ones should be fired. I see your point, CA. And that is a good point about home plate being flat.