• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Netflix documentary -- "Facing Nolan'

Perhaps old news - but I just saw it on NetFlix - get documentary -- our pal (formerly. Pinetar here - Rob Goldman - author of "when they  were Angels' and also a book about. Nolan Ryan is in the documentary quite. a bit - talking about his. days as an Angels bat boy and about watching Nolan Ryan    Anyway, it's a great documentary about one of. MLB's greatest pitchers of all time,

It talks about Ryan's Texas roots -- and the documentary made me more understanding why it's OK for Nolan Ryan to be wearing a. Texas cap in the HOF -- even if his best seasons and best stats. were during his Angels years --  although. - as the documentary points out -- Ryan had some great stats from age 35 to almost 44. and pitched as well during those years than almost any time of his. career.

I. really enjoyed the documentary  --everybody here probably watched it long ago.

6 hours ago, disarcina said:

Perhaps old news - but I just saw it on NetFlix - get documentary -- our pal (formerly. Pinetar here - Rob Goldman - author of "when they  were Angels' and also a book about. Nolan Ryan is in the documentary quite. a bit - talking about his. days as an Angels bat boy and about watching Nolan Ryan    Anyway, it's a great documentary about one of. MLB's greatest pitchers of all time,

It talks about Ryan's Texas roots -- and the documentary made me more understanding why it's OK for Nolan Ryan to be wearing a. Texas cap in the HOF -- even if his best seasons and best stats. were during his Angels years --  although. - as the documentary points out -- Ryan had some great stats from age 35 to almost 44. and pitched as well during those years than almost any time of his. career.

I. really enjoyed the documentary  --everybody here probably watched it long ago.

In Japan, NHK broadcasted "Facing Nolan" on April 24th and 25th, 2023. Unfortunately, I couldn't watch it because it was midnight and and I couldn't record it.

NHK, Japanese public broadcaster

(NHK, Japanese page)
Japanese title:The Truth About Nolan Ryan "Legendary Pitcher"  "Part 1"   "Part 2"

12 hours ago, Biergott said:

I just hope when my sons are my age they aren’t watching one called Facing Ohtani with the same bittersweet we do after losing Nolan…  

gotta make the playoffs this year!!!

Buzzie Minasian will claim he can replace Ohtani with an ace and a star hitter.

I was lucky enough to see Nolan pitch for the Angels in '79. He threw a shutout against against the Yankees. Ron Guidry only gave up one run that day. Normally, I hate pitchers duels, but that one was amazing. There was definitely a different sound when Ryan's pitches would hit the catcher's mitt.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CAL/CAL197905020.shtml

I remember watching Ryan pitch at AAA in the Mets organization in 1967. The park was nearly full (a rarity for a Jacksonville Suns game) because word had gotten out that the Mets had a kid who threw 100 MPH who was being promoted to AAA. He was very fast, but wilder than hell. I was afraid that he was going to kill somebody. One of the few times that I felt sympathy for opposing hitters.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

• 8 months later...

Such a cool dive into Nolan Ryan's journey, especially loved the bits about his early days as an Angels bat boy, and the perspective on his Texas roots. The whole debate about the Hall of Fame cap makes more sense now. Also, those stats from age 35 to 44 are mind-blowing. As a newbie here, I'm sure everyone's discussed it ages ago, but hey, better late than never, right? Btw, speaking of catching up, did you guys hear about Prince Harry's financial situation lately? Wondering about that prince harry net worth, it's quite the topic outside the baseball world! Anyway, loving the vibes here, excited to join the discussions.

3 hours ago, hazelbazel said:

Such a cool dive into Nolan Ryan's journey, especially loved the bits about his early days as an Angels bat boy, and the perspective on his Texas roots. The whole debate about the Hall of Fame cap makes more sense now. Also, those stats from age 35 to 44 are mind-blowing.

Great Doc. I need to watch it again.

100% on his performance from age 35-44. You don't see that often in ANY professional sports from an athlete. 

Building on my early account of Ryan, he was part of a AAA pitching staff that also included Gary Gentry, Tom Seaver and Jerry Koosman - and a closer who you may have heard of, Tug McGraw (who fathered Tim while he was pitching in Jacksonville). In the deal that sent Ryan west, the Angels originally offered Jim Fregosi for Gentry. The Mets didn't want to part with Gentry, so they put Ryan in the deal instead.