• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels’ Zach Neto was ‘an easy selection’ in the 2022 draft

NEW YORK — With Tim McIlvaine’s first selection of his first draft as a major league scouting director, he settled on a kid with an unorthodox swing from a small college in North Carolina.

Just 277 days after the Angels took Campbell University shortstop Zach Neto, McIlvaine was sitting in a suite at Yankee Stadium watching him pull a couple doubles into left field, the second and third hits of his big-league career.

“It’s exciting,” McIlvaine said. “You’ve got to give a lot of credit to him for being wired right and knowing this is what he wants to do, and putting everything he has into being the best player possible.”

Neto, 22, became the first player from the 2022 draft to reach the majors when the Angels made the surprising promotion Saturday. He played just 44 games in the minors, none higher than Double-A.

McIlvaine, who had already been scheduled to be in New York for front-office meetings before knowing Neto would be there, said it makes sense that Neto would move quickly.

“There wasn’t a lot to change with him,” McIlvaine said. “The way he does everything was he was pretty polished. You know, 44 games in the minor leagues is fast, but to his credit, he hit the ground running and excelled and did really well. He kind of forced everybody’s hand to do it. We’re excited about it. I don’t think he’s overwhelmed. Even opening up in Boston and then New York, I don’t think he would draw it up any other way. It’s challenging for him. Whenever he’s challenged, whenever he’s been challenged in his life, he’s risen.”

Neto’s arrival in the big leagues has provided more exposure for his non-traditional swing.

As he loads for his swing, he lifts his leg almost as high as a pitcher would. Neto does have a swing without the leg kick, which he uses with two strikes.

McIlvaine said that was a major issue as the Angels were discussing whether to draft him 13th overall.

“I was skeptical at first,” McIlvaine said. “The more you watch him, the more you just see how he’s always on time. He’s never late. You worry about it, because guys throw harder up here. We watched him against guys that were throwing really, really hard in college too, and he’s just always on time. That’s kind of his gift.”

Once McIlvaine was sold on the leg kick not being a problem, the decision makers reached a consensus that he was who they would pick, McIlvaine said.

“The analytic guys really liked him,” McIlvaine said. “The scouts really liked them. Front-office guys really liked him. It’s kind of a rare unicorn where everybody kind of came together and said, ‘We all really liked this guy.’ Once he was (available), it was kind of an easy selection for us.”

RENDON’S PROGRESS

Third baseman Anthony Rendon came into Thursday’s game with just one extra-base hit this season, a double on Saturday.

Manager Phil Nevin said Rendon’s swing was impacted by the left shoulder injury he suffered when he was hit by a pitch April 9.

“I think he’s feeling a lot better,” Nevin said Thursday. “You can see the swing’s a little more freer than last couple of days.”

Rendon’s single Wednesday night left the bat at 102.7 mph, his hardest hit ball of the young season.

Even without the power, Rendon has contributed with a .286 average and .404 on-base percentage. He’s also struck out in just 6.4% of his plate appearances, which is well below the major-league average of 21.7%. Rendon has been successful on all six of the opportunities he’s had to drive a runner in from third with less than two outs.

NOTES

Right-hander Jaime Barría pitched late in close games Tuesday and Wednesday, an indication that Nevin views him as more than simply a long reliever. “Jaime is throwing the ball very well right now,” Nevin said. “I love him in those spots. He’s gonna come in and throw strikes. I know that. He’s not afraid of any situation. You’re gonna get the same stuff and he does a good job of this in the middle of the bat.” …

Infielder Gio Urshela got a routine day off Thursday, after starting the previous five games in a row. …

The Angels were prepping for a tough turnaround after a 4 p.m. local time start Thursday in New York, which was a few hours later than a traditional day game on a getaway day. The Angels were expecting to land back in Los Angeles around 11:30 p.m. Thursday, with a home game on Friday against the Kansas City Royals. Nevin said he understood why the schedule was that way, and he noted that the final game of the Yankees’ series in Anaheim in July also starts at 4 p.m. local time.

UP NEXT

Angels (RHP Shohei Ohtani, 2-0, 0.86) vs. Royals (RHP Taylor Clarke, 1-0, 6.75), 6:38 p.m. Friday, Angel Stadium, Bally Sports West,  830 AM.

View the full article

27 minutes ago, AngelsWin.com said:

Right-hander Jaime Barría pitched late in close games Tuesday and Wednesday, an indication that Nevin views him as more than simply a long reliever. “Jaime is throwing the ball very well right now,” Nevin said. “I love him in those spots. He’s gonna come in and throw strikes. I know that. He’s not afraid of any situation. You’re gonna get the same stuff and he does a good job of this in the middle of the bat.” …

Hopefully he continues throwing well and gets more appearances.