• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels GM Perry Minasian remains tight lipped on Shohei Ohtani’s future with team

ANAHEIM — Perry Minasian insisted all winter that having the Angels for sale did not change the way he went about his business.

So it stands to reason that he would also insist that not having them for sale wouldn’t change anything either.

Although there was a reasonable assumption to be made that the Angels might have a different approach to the Shohei Ohtani contract situation now that owner Arte Moreno has taken the team off the market, Minasian didn’t give any clues when asked about it on Saturday.

“Obviously, we love Shohei Ohtani,” Minasian said. “I believe that all of us, this whole organization, would like nothing more than to see him here for a long, long time. That being said, the same line I always use and you guys know and probably roll your eyes at, I don’t negotiate publicly. We love the player. We love what he’s about. He’s somebody that we can envision here for a long time.”

It was one of a series of predictable non-answers that Minasian gave when reporters prodded him for hints at where things stand with their superstar two-way player, who is set to be a free agent after the season.

The reason there is such skepticism that Ohtani wants to stay with the Angels beyond 2023 is that the team hasn’t had a winning record in any of his first five years. In an effort to snap that streak, this winter Moreno has so far committed to a franchise record payroll of around $206 million.

That includes $30 million — the highest single-season salary ever for a player who hasn’t reached free agency — for Ohtani.

If Ohtani is going to stick around, the Angels are certainly going to need to push their payroll even higher, almost certainly exceeding the luxury tax threshold.

When asked flatly if he believes that Moreno is willing to make the type of financial commitment necessary to keep Ohtani, Minasian did not hesitate.

“Knowing the individual and knowing how much (Moreno) wants to win, I wouldn’t put anything out of the realm of possibility,” Minasian said.

In the meantime, Minasian said he’s talked to Ohtani regularly, as recently as a few days ago.

“I think the relationship is outstanding,” Minasian said.

He said that Ohtani seems to be focused on doing whatever he can do to help get the Angels to the next level, including asking about practicing in the outfield. Minasian pumped the brakes on that idea.

Ohtani is currently working out at the Angels complex in Arizona. The first official workout of the spring for pitchers and catchers will be on Feb. 15, and Ohtani will train with the Angels until around March 1, before leaving to join Team Japan for the World Baseball Classic, Minasian said. That will allow time for Ohtani to make one start in an Angels exhibition game before leaving for the WBC.

NOTES

Minasian said the Angels remain engaged on continued additions to the rosters, even this close to spring training. “We’ll continue to examine the bullpen, the rotation,” he said. “Even enhancing our position player group is not out of the realm of possibility. We’re still having conversations, dialogue. We’ll see where it goes.”

To that end, Minasian said it’s “a possibility” the Angels could still exceed the luxury tax this year. They are currently at about $220 million, with the first threshold at $233 million. The luxury tax payroll includes bonuses and benefits, so it’s higher than the sum of the players’ 2023 salaries. …

Minasian said the Angels still haven’t finalized their list of non-roster invites to spring training, but shortstop Zach Neto and right-hander Ben Joyce will be among the players from the 2022 draft who will be in camp. …

The Angels announced that Foundation Building Materials will be their uniform sponsor for 2023. The players will have a patch on their sleeves with the logo of the company, which is based in Orange. Major League Baseball’s collective bargaining agreement reached last March allowed for teams to begin selling uniform sponsorships for the first time.

View the full article

When asked flatly if he believes that Moreno is willing to make the type of financial commitment necessary to keep Ohtani, Minasian did not hesitate.

“Knowing the individual and knowing how much (Moreno) wants to win, I wouldn’t put anything out of the realm of possibility,” Minasian said.

Well since he has never actually done it, I'll believe it when I see it.

I studied Far Eastern civilization and I especially enjoyed the Japan segment.

My advice is Naiyu Gaikan and reading between the lines I am optimistic that a long term deal can be creatively struck.

The Angels have the two greatest players in MLB and one is a modern day Babe Ruth.

Restoration is necessary out of last year's chaos.

15 hours ago, HanfordGuy said:

With the “Ohtani Rule” can he be moved to the outfield after pitching and the new pitcher won’t have to bat or does it only apply when he is a DH?

I don’t think so. 

The Ohtani rule just means you are two separate players: the DH and pitcher. But all the other rules still apply to you in either role. 

For example, you can’t leave the mound as the pitcher, stay in at DH, and then come back as the pitcher. 

You also can’t go into the field and have your team retain the DH in a different spot in the order. 

Also, now that they have the Ohtani Rule there would really be no reason to do that. The only reason might be to have him start a game in the OF so someone else can get the DH day. That would definitely help the Angels if they’d be willing to do it. 

Edited by Jeff Fletcher

23 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I don’t think so. 

The Ohtani rule just means you are two separate players: the DH and pitcher. But all the other rules still apply to you in either role. 

For example, you can’t leave the mound as the pitcher, stay in at DH, and then come back as the pitcher. 

You also can’t go into the field and have your team retain the DH in a different spot in the order. 

Also, now that they have the Ohtani Rule there would really be no reason to do that. The only reason might be to have him start a game in the OF so someone else can get the DH day. That would definitely help the Angels if they’d be willing to do it. 

Are you sure they’ve thought of it?  We’re counting on you Jeff to get this mess straightened out.