• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The impact of the shift going away

Docwaukee

I've been seeing quite a few people reference the shift going away as something that's going to have a significant impact on this player or that player.  

Personally, I don't feel like it's going to be that big of a deal.  Maybe for lefties that tend to hit the ball hard.  

What are your thoughts?  

7 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

I've been seeing quite a few people reference the shift going away as something that's going to have a significant impact on this player or that player.  

Personally, I don't feel like it's going to be that big of a deal.  Maybe for lefties that tend to hit the ball hard.  

What are your thoughts?  

I think pure pull lefties will definitely see some benefit without having three infielders and the occasional player in shallow RF. Some of those shifts were extreme and on the money. I imagine extreme pull righties will benefit too, but they don’t seem to be as pronounced. 

I think it will be impactful.  Towards the end of the season, Ohtani was one that was estimated to have lost the most hits.   It could add 20 points to his batting average, I think.   .220 hitters aren't going to become .280 hitters.  you can still play someone near 2B.  You can still move the outfielders however you want.  

6 hours ago, ScottT said:

I think it will be impactful.  Towards the end of the season, Ohtani was one that was estimated to have lost the most hits.   It could add 20 points to his batting average, I think.   .220 hitters aren't going to become .280 hitters.  you can still play someone near 2B.  You can still move the outfielders however you want.  

Can you move them to the IF?

1 hour ago, arch stanton said:

So instead of having the hole at 3rd base it could be all of LF that’s left unmanned against pull lefties. Could we see some try to perfect the inside out swing?

I can’t imagine a team leaving an entire outfield spot unmanned. It certainly wouldn’t happen with a runner on base. It’s one thing to give up an automatic single with an infield shift. But if you leave left field wide open you’d be giving up an easy double and possibly a triple. 

6 hours ago, Stradling said:

I can’t imagine a team leaving an entire outfield spot unmanned. It certainly wouldn’t happen with a runner on base. It’s one thing to give up an automatic single with an infield shift. But if you leave left field wide open you’d be giving up an easy double and possibly a triple. 

If you have two CF quality outfielders I could see a team shifting the outfield over and playing the right fielder really shallow against some dead pull lefties. 

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

But I do think his defensive value increases because he has good range. 

I think I've settled on the defensive value of a guy like Fletcher being roughly equal.

He will likely be increasingly above average as a second basemen, but the average is going to slip considerably.

1 minute ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

The defense against Fletcher isn't going to change, so if he gets more hits it will be because he started hitting the ball harder.

Which hasn’t happened in a few years. He’s barreled three balls in his career, and not since 2020. 

40 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Ya it's not going to happen. I think this year will show that Fletcher is not an MLB caliber starting second basemen.

I love Fletcher as a high level role player that gets playing time regularly all over the place.  I am not a fan of a plan that gets him 550 plate appearances. . . . That is unless he is the 9th hitter in an otherwise stacked lineup, making his impotent bat no big deal.