• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2022 Team Payrolls/Baseball Operations Analysts

mmc

People often say Arte needs to redirect spending from star position players back into the baseball operations department, and I saw this graph on Reddit that shows how big every team's front office is compared to their payroll.  As you'd expect, the Rays are the clear outlier here, investing heavily in the front office with a very small payroll.

unknown.png

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

The problem is that in like year 2-3 of Eppler's tenure they were in the top 5. Since then teams that had NO analytics departments at all have blown by them -- like Baltimore.

They were? The Angels 2019 media guide, by my count, only lists 9 baseball ops analysts/engineers.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

The problem is that in like year 2-3 of Eppler's tenure they were in the top 5. Since then teams that had NO analytics departments at all have blown by them -- like Baltimore.

you don't need those data guys when your HMFIC can put it all together in his head.  

you'd think that regardless of the impending sale, Minasian would have the freedom to add some guys in this area.  

I am still fearful that we're gonna lose Tamin.  That would suck.  

25 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

you don't need those data guys when your HMFIC can put it all together in his head.  

you'd think that regardless of the impending sale, Minasian would have the freedom to add some guys in this area.  

I am still fearful that we're gonna lose Tamin.  That would suck.  

How would they lose Tamin?

Only way is if someone else offered him a GM gig, and I don’t think teams are looking at the Angels as an exemplary org to follow.

1 hour ago, Trendon said:

How would they lose Tamin?

Only way is if someone else offered him a GM gig, and I don’t think teams are looking at the Angels as an exemplary org to follow.

it's not that hard to conceive.  Unstable situation where the guy who hired him might not have more than a year.  So he might not feel great about his future with the org.  He's a well known commodity it seems.  How hard is it to imagine that a well run org offers him more money even for the same title?

3 hours ago, Trendon said:

They were? The Angels 2019 media guide, by my count, only lists 9 baseball ops analysts/engineers.

They were.   It was said the analytics dept had grown to 14-15 ppl.  Whether or not they were full time or listed in the media guide I have no idea.  But it was pretty evident that Arte was already questioning data driven processes by 2019.

12 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

it's not that hard to conceive.  Unstable situation where the guy who hired him might not have more than a year.  So he might not feel great about his future with the org.  He's a well known commodity it seems.  How hard is it to imagine that a well run org offers him more money even for the same title?

Another team can’t just come in and offer him more money for the same title without the Angels’ permission.

If he were offered a promotion, that’s a whole other thing.

Tamin was one of 3-4 AGM’s in Atlanta when he came to Anaheim. The title was the same, but he was promoted to being the #2 and sole AGM in Anaheim.

He’s not gonna get a title higher than AGM unless he’s offered a GM job, and he’s not gonna be higher than #2 in an org unless he’s named PBO or GM.

2 hours ago, Trendon said:

Another team can’t just come in and offer him more money for the same title without the Angels’ permission.

If he were offered a promotion, that’s a whole other thing.

Tamin was one of 3-4 AGM’s in Atlanta when he came to Anaheim. The title was the same, but he was promoted to being the #2 and sole AGM in Anaheim.

He’s not gonna get a title higher than AGM unless he’s offered a GM job, and he’s not gonna be higher than #2 in an org unless he’s named PBO or GM.

How long is his contract? 

49 minutes ago, Stradling said:

How long is his contract? 

to me it shouldn't matter.  It would be kind of a dick move by the halos if they restricted him from a lateral move into a more stable environment and perhaps to a better run org for more money.  If there wasn't a sale of the team pending, I would feel otherwise.  But he should be afforded every right to have feelers out so he's not left holding his junk should the new regime want to make a change regardless of the 2023 outcome.    

15 minutes ago, Trendon said:

How am I supposed to know that?

Well you know that no other team would be interested in him and you know he can’t be hired away unless he gets promoted, so I’d assume that based on your previous claims you know a lot about this situation.  

16 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

to me it shouldn't matter.  It would be kind of a dick move by the halos if they restricted him from a lateral move into a more stable environment and perhaps to a better run org for more money.  If there wasn't a sale of the team pending, I would feel otherwise.  But he should be afforded every right to have feelers out so he's not left holding his junk should the new regime want to make a change regardless of the 2023 outcome.    

I agree. 

6 hours ago, Stradling said:

Well you know that no other team would be interested in him and you know he can’t be hired away unless he gets promoted, so I’d assume that based on your previous claims you know a lot about this situation.  

I said “I don’t think,” not “I know” regarding interest from other teams in him.

And it’s common practice in MLB that execs aren’t hired away from other teams unless they are promoted.

None of that would make me privy to Tamin’s contract status.

11 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I said “I don’t think,” not “I know” regarding interest from other teams in him.

And it’s common practice in MLB that execs aren’t hired away from other teams unless they are promoted.

None of that would make me privy to Tamin’s contract status.

Cool, so we agree he can be hired away.  Thanks. 

Every front office job in pro sports is relatively temporary. Regimes change regularly. Teams rise and fall, with subsequent realignment and shuffling  in managerial/front office personnel. Ambition motivates everyone, so opportunities for promotion lure the middle tier of talent to new places. Younger candidates enter the scene, experienced ones move on or retire. 

In real life it's not uncommon for people to hold jobs for decades. In sports, how many remain in the same  place and position for even one decade? Or half a decade even? A very few elite executives can call their own shots, but even the best and most celebrated move between multiple teams in less then a decade.

The only constant is change. In players as well as management. All you can hope for are windows where everything comes together on the field and the front office and remains solid as long as possible.