• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Lords of the Realm

I just finished reading this book. Has anyone else read it?

It's a fascinating look at the history of the business side of the game.  The Players Association was able to run over the owners because they were unified and the owners had the wrong incentives and couldn't unify.  Say what ever you will about Selig and Manafort, they have unified the owners to the benefit of the sport and the owner's pocket books.

The best parts of the book were about Marvin Miller, the rest got a little long in the tooth for me but also explained with great clarity why the Padres sell off in the early '90s made sense.

Just now, TroutBaseball said:

It's a fascinating look at the history of the business side of the game.  The Players Association was able to run over the owners because they were unified and the owners had the wrong incentives and couldn't unify.  Say what ever you will about Selig and Manafort, they have unified the owners to the benefit of the sport and the owner's pocket books.

The best parts of the book were about Marvin Miller, the rest got a little long in the tooth for me but also explained with great clarity why the Padres sell off in the early '90s made sense.

I just recently read the first 50 pages or so and will probably go back and finish it soon (got distracted by another book).  I liked what I read so far.

29 minutes ago, TroutBaseball said:

Yes, and I've lobbied for others to read it as well.  Baseball and Billions by Andrew Zimbalist is similarly excellent.  Away Games is a really great look at how twisted teams were in Latin America

1 hour ago, TroutBaseball said:

When the Padres sold off in the '90s they were trying to get their payroll below $38 million (inflation adjusted). This year there are three teams with payrolls less than $32 million despite receiving $110 million a year in revenue sharing.

This is truly a baseball crime with those 3 teams.   It doesn’t cost anywhere nears $70 million for non- player expenses!

Let me guess: Pirates, O’s, and A’s?

Memo to those three owners:

Sell your freaking team!!!

Edited by Angel Oracle

On 3/23/2022 at 1:07 PM, TroutBaseball said:

On 3/23/2022 at 1:10 PM, jsnpritchett said:

I just recently read the first 50 pages or so and will probably go back and finish it soon (got distracted by another book).  I liked what I read so far.

On 3/23/2022 at 1:39 PM, Inside Pitch said:

Yes, and I've lobbied for others to read it as well.  Baseball and Billions by Andrew Zimbalist is similarly excellent.  Away Games is a really great look at how twisted teams were in Latin America

Yes!!!! Excellent stuff.

Follow up a reading of it with Jon Pessah’s “The Game.”

https://www.amazon.com/Game-Inside-Secret-Baseballs-Brokers

It’s a perfect companion to Lords of the Realm and picks up where LOTR leaves off (ignoring the addendum).

I’m sure there’s some funny thing to say about Mordor here.