• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Officially Booked my Philly / NY Trip...

Hubs

I'm planning to go to officialy booked for Philadelphia for the weekend of 7/17-7/19, then go to New York for 7/20 and 7/21.

Will get to one Angels game at least in each of Citizens Bank and Yankees Stadium. Will have one night in each city at least as well where I don't do Baseball games.

Since you all commented about Stradling's Boston trip, can you do the same for Philly and New York for me?

Anyone who wants to join me for the games, let me know.

7 minutes ago, Taylor said:

9/11 Memorial in NYC is a must, if you've never been.

Are you planning to take the train from Philly to NYC? The Amtrak shouldn't be too expensive, and is probably a two-hour ride at most.

Yes, Amtrak is the plan.

I enjoy American history, so I loved the Philly trolley tour. Independence Hall was fascinating. Cheesesteaks.

NYC is so massive that no matter what you're into, you can probably find it. (Unless it's laid-back people who don't complain all the time.) Museum of Natural History is my favorite museum in the city. Walking around Central Park is impressive for how large and beautiful it is, right in the middle of the city. If you are drinkers, McSorley's Old Ale House for a couple of beers (one of my three favorite bars in America). A late night slice of pizza. I echo True Grich's comment about Junior's - their cheesecake and egg creams are great. If you go to Brooklyn for that, check out the Promenade for views of Manhattan, the bridges, and the Statue of Liberty. (I lived one block from there for a couple of years.)

8 minutes ago, Hubs said:
16 minutes ago, Taylor said:

9/11 Memorial in NYC is a must, if you've never been.

Are you planning to take the train from Philly to NYC? The Amtrak shouldn't be too expensive, and is probably a two-hour ride at most.

Yes, Amtrak is the plan.

I live right dab-smack in between the two cities. I'm actually closer to NYC but it's easier to get to CBP than the Bronx. I've seen the Halos in both parks; five times in Philly and dozens in NYC. I know have been to the new Yankee Stadium for Angels games four times but I lost count at the old stadium. It was something around three-dozen times over the years. There's a fair bet that I'll catch at least one game at each park this season.

For Philly, I definitely recommend the Reading Terminal Market as a place to visit. It's a great place for people-watching and to go for a late lunch or early dinner before the game. Definitely go for cheese-steak while in Philly and the Market will offer plenty of options. If you want to go for the big-name cheese-steak places, Jim's is just a few blocks from the terminal. Pat's and Gino's are regarded as the originators of the sandwich and they're basically across the street from each other in South Philly. They're also closer to the stadium than the Market and Jim's. Dalessandro's is also highly regarded but they're basically outside of town in Northwest Philly.

In NYC, find yourself a good deli for pastrami or corned beef. All of the best ones are in Manhattan and Brooklyn though and, with the park in the Bronx, that may be inconvenient depending on where you're staying and for how long. Katz's and 2nd Ave Deli are the go-to's. As for sights, the Memorial is momentous but it can be very "heavy". It's the sort of place that one should visit but one doesn't really need to see twice. At least that's how I feel about it. I am fortunate to not have lost anyone close in the attacks so maybe that factors in how I feel about the Memorial. My recommendation if you have the time is Lady Liberty. It's a half-a-day at least so you may not have the time. But it is definitely worth the visit.

1 hour ago, Ariamus said:

I live right dab-smack in between the two cities. I'm actually closer to NYC but it's easier to get to CBP than the Bronx. I've seen the Halos in both parks; five times in Philly and dozens in NYC. I know have been to the new Yankee Stadium for Angels games four times but I lost count at the old stadium. It was something around three-dozen times over the years. There's a fair bet that I'll catch at least one game at each park this season.  And the Passyunk area is a bit closer to the stadium and has lots of good choices.  

For Philly, I definitely recommend the Reading Terminal Market as a place to visit. It's a great place for people-watching and to go for a late lunch or early dinner before the game. Definitely go for cheese-steak while in Philly and the Market will offer plenty of options. If you want to go for the big-name cheese-steak places, Jim's is just a few blocks from the terminal. Pat's and Gino's are regarded as the originators of the sandwich and they're basically across the street from each other in South Philly. They're also closer to the stadium than the Market and Jim's. Dalessandro's is also highly regarded but they're basically outside of town in Northwest Philly.

In NYC, find yourself a good deli for pastrami or corned beef. All of the best ones are in Manhattan and Brooklyn though and, with the park in the Bronx, that may be inconvenient depending on where you're staying and for how long. Katz's and 2nd Ave Deli are the go-to's. As for sights, the Memorial is momentous but it can be very "heavy". It's the sort of place that one should visit but one doesn't really need to see twice. At least that's how I feel about it. I am fortunate to not have lost anyone close in the attacks so maybe that factors in how I feel about the Memorial. My recommendation if you have the time is Lady Liberty. It's a half-a-day at least so you may not have the time. But it is definitely worth the visit.

For Philly, definitely agree, hit the terminal market - but early if there on a weekend - gets insanely crowded.  And Jim's for cheesesteak is about the best - but there's so much  good food in the market.  There's really a lot of good food to be had in Philly - I had some spectacular duck fat fries at a pub there i still dream about 😉  Also, the Italian Market, and there's some polish neighborhoods around Port Richmond if you like Polish food.   The Passyunk neighborhood is nearer to the ballpark and has lots of good choices for eating / drinking.  

Plenty of good museums - the Barnes is my favorite, the Mutter is surprisingly good, same for the Magic Gardens (though it'll be blistering hot in July.)   Personally, I like Eastern State Pen a lot - reminds me of home 😉 

Museum of the American Revolution is relatively new, and actually really good - might want to see if they have any events around the date of the visit, but it's a pretty nuanced, and occasionally emotional look at the Revolution.

Liberty Bell should take a pass on, but the area around Independence Hall is cool to wander around.  Find a beer garden - they're all over in summertime in Center City and environs.  

I was in Philly for work recently, co-workers wanted to hit up an authentic "cash only" Italian restaurant.  We ended up at Villa di Roma, food was great, not too expensive, very old school.  Found out later it used in the Irishman.

Also, we stayed at an airbnb on s 20th and dickinson.  Insane deal, only $99 a night (maybe because it was on weekdays, was basically brand new, nice furniture, 4 bedrooms.  Not the best neighborhood but felt safe.

For NYC; TAO is the spot. Make reservations.

If you want great Italian food the day of the game, go to Arthur Ave in the Bronx since you are right nearby. Much more authentic and less touristy than Little Italy. Picture the movie: A Bronx Tale