• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Official September Call-ups Thread

totdprods

Most of the minor league teams will have their seasons conclude Monday, September 2nd. 2019 will mark the last season of 40-man expanded rosters, as new rules limit it to 28 (?) beginning next season. 

Here's who I imagine we'll definitely see:

• Luke Bard, Taylor Cole, Jake Jewell, Jose Rodriguez, Nick Tropeano, Anthony Bemboom, Jared Walsh, Taylor Ward, Michael Hermosillo
    • Cole and Bard are virtual locks - Bard was very solid his first 20 IP (2.66 ERA, .227 BA, 6 BB, 21 K) in Anaheim, and very poor since. 
    • Jewell and Rodriguez are also likely due to their multi-inning RP capability, but the ceiling is low enough that both might be DFA candidates as well to clear room for others. 
    • Tropeano almost certainly joins the team again, but with a $1m+ arb. salary on the horizon and a disappointing '19 season, he's a fringe DFA candidate as well.
    • The Angels always recall a 3rd catcher to better rest the backstops, we'll see Bemboom again. 
    • Walsh, Hermosillo, and Ward will almost certainly return, ideally getting a greater glimpse as the season winds down to determine their 2020 value.

Here's some new names we might get a chance to see. The Angels 40-man roster currently stands at 39 I believe, so there's already room to add one new name:

• Luis Madero, Jose RojasJ.C. Ramirez, Adrian De Horta, Jeremy Rhoades, Adalberto Mejia, Jo Adell, Jahmai Jones, Oliver Ortega, Luis Pena
    • Madero is actually already on the 40-man, but only 20 mediocre AA games under his belt. He's pitched a little better lately and could eat some innings, plus the Angels can gauge if he's an offseason DFA candidate.
    • Rojas is almost the clearest add - he's hit 30 HR on the season in AAA and would get a hometown welcome, plus has Rule 5 eligibility looming. Working against him is playing time ahead of him. Might get the Sherman Johnson treatment as a 'thank you'.
    • J.C. Ramirez would have to be added back to the 40-man, but with a multi-million arb. salary ahead, the Angels might want to give him one last MLB look before likely non-tendering in the offseason. Mejia for similar reasons. 
    • Adrian De Horta isn't very likely, but the Angels liked him enough to bring him to Anaheim for the spring Freeway Series, and since a poor AAA start, he's put up 46 K in 31 IP, allowing 19 walks, a .216 BAA, and a 4.65 ERA. 
    • Similarly, Jeremy Rhoades and Luis Pena have fairly average stats, but Rhoades' 72 strikeouts in 58.1 IP and Pena's 53 strikeouts in 45.2 IP and .229 BAA could lead to guys like Jewell, Del Pozo, Bard, or Rodriguez being bumped and new guys a fresh shot.
    • Sorry Angels fans, I'm not expecting Adell to get a September call-up. He's hitting better but is still very green into his AAA experience, and he'd unnecessarily fill a 40-man spot over the winter, and Arizona will likely be his next audition.
    • Jahmai Jones is also very unlikely, but being that he's Rule 5 eligible this winter, there could be a slight chance the Angels add him now and challenge him. Likely, his audition, like Adell, will be in the Arizona Fall League.
    • Last, Oliver Ortega is in a position like Madero - strong A+ numbers, poor AA numbers, similar potential usage capacity in September, except he is not yet on the 40-man like Madero - he will also need to be added this winter to be protected from the Rule 5.

Who might be DFA'ed or moved to the 60-day DL to clear 40-man space for these names?

• Justin Bour, Jake Jewell, Jose Rodriguez, Miguel Del Pozo, Luke Bard, Nick Tropeano, Luis Garcia, Trevor Cahill, Griffin Canning
    • Bour very likely would have joined the list of recently released vet role-players had his wife not been due to give birth, but the Angels may have opted to keep him in SLC for their comfort. With more players ahead of him for 1B playing time, Bour might soon be DFA'ed.
    • Similarly, Cahill has been necessary in the bullpen as a vet capable of eating innings. With expanded rosters, there's little reason for the Angels to keep him around in September when those innings can go to players controlled in 2020. 
    • Jewell, Rodriguez, Del Pozo, Bard are all fairly interchangeable, and stand a good chance to clear waivers and be outrighted off-roster to stay in the org. This could allow a look at new arms such as Rhoades, Pena, De Horta or last shots for Mejia, Ramirez.
    • Tropeano and Garcia are both looking at multi-million arb. salaries this winter, and while they have some reason to be kept around, are also on the DFA chopping block due to salary and cheaper players ready below them. 
      • That said, if Garcia hadn't allowed 5 ER on July 31st, he'd be sitting on a surprising 3.91 ERA on the season, with a more respectable 26 BB, 46 K in 50.2 IP - he's coming around a little bit.
    • Griffin Canning could be moved to the 60-day DL to officially end his season, thus opening a spot temporarily. 

With the Angels out of contention and a lot of decisions looming in the offseason, especially with a new reliance on the farm, I expect Eppler to recall quite a few players, perhaps in waves. 

• Sure things: Bard, Cole, Jewell, Tropeano, Bemboom, Walsh, Ward, Hermosillo
  • Maybes: Rojas, Ramirez
  • Probably not: Adell, Jones, Ortega, Madero
  • Chopping Block: Bour, Cahill, a fringe AAA-reliever

If they bring up Walsh, there is no need to keep Bour....Cahill is a little different although he could get axed for sure....we are so short on arms right now that he might survive our of necessity...

Another thought I've had:  You can't make a trade under the new rules and since it seems at least possible, probably likely, that Calhoun's option isn't going to be picked up and, because no other team would want him in a trade after the season before the option is due (because nobody else is likely to want to pick up that option either) why not let him be picked up by a contender before Sept 1st for his remaining salary on waivers?  If he's not coming back and we have no way to get anything for him, why not give him a chance to make the postseason?  That's assuming a contender would want him for his salary only....I bet somebody would, maybe the Braves or Indians....I'd like to see him get a shot, particularly if we can't get anything for him....

8 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I like that idea for Kole.  I'd be happy for him if he got to win a title with the Indians or Twins.  It would suck though if he helped the Yankees or Dogs.  

I am hoping to see Rojas get some time.  

Rojas is the player I want to see the most - I could see them at the very least giving him a hometown/org-warrior Sherman Johnson add, and an unfortunate offseason DFA number crunch if they’re not that high on him.

He has certainly earned a call-up for his hometown team even if it’s brief. 

I can see him getting a few ABs and making a quick impression too.

Edited by totdprods

It'll be really interesting to see who stays and who goes this offseason.  Typically, it isn't.  There's one thread about it, some minor discussion but not a big deal.  This winter it's going to be huge though.

Currently at 39, our subtractions figure to be Cahill, Garcia, Cole, Rodriguez, Tropeano, Bour, Cozart, and Calhoun.  So there will be nine spots available.  If you figure the Angels will likely add three free agent starting pitchers, one reliever and one position player, that likely knocks the available spots down to four. 

Believe it or not, Adell and Marsh won't be added to the 40 man this winter.  They don't need to be and the Angels will need to reserve those spots.  Chances are, we'll see the Angels add Jose Rojas, Oliver Ortega, Jahmai Jones and Adalberto Mejia back this winter.

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

Currently at 39, our subtractions figure to be Cahill, Garcia, Cole, Rodriguez, Tropeano, Bour, Cozart, and Calhoun.  So there will be nine spots available.  If you figure the Angels will likely add three free agent starting pitchers, one reliever and one position player, that likely knocks the available spots down to four. 

Cozart will be there. I think Rodriguez will too since he’s got options. 

Why keep Mejia on the 40 man?   What stands out?

Isn’t it time to trade Ward? After 4.5 seasons plus his college years, he still doesn’t seem to have a defensive spot, and his hitting value won’t get much higher.   Whatever they can get for him this off-season is probably the max they will get.

21 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Why keep Mejia on the 40 man? 

He’s not any more. Last time he got DFA’d no one claimed him. 

A month ago A few people (you know who you are) had a fit about him being DFA’d. He’s since been DFA’d 2 more times. 

1 hour ago, fan_since79 said:

Speaking of Cozart, I don't want to see him playing third base and in the starting lineup next year. Please, no.

They’ll bring him to spring training because they’re paying him. After that, he’ll have to earn whatever playing time he gets. I could see him being traded or released at the end of spring, depending how much or little he shows, but I don’t think anything will happen over the winter. 

9 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

He’s not any more. Last time he got DFA’d no one claimed him. 

A month ago A few people (you know who you are) had a fit about him being DFA’d. He’s since been DFA’d 2 more times. 

Sorry, meant to ask why add him back?   He’s meandered throughout his career, plus new relievers are always out there.

I’d definitely keep Jose Rodriguez instead of adding back Mejia.

2 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

They don’t have to add him back. They can re-sign him to another minor league deal if they want. 

Thank you, exactly 

If someone is DFA’d and not picked up by anyone as often as he was this season, the same will apply for the off-season.

Have to be smart about the 40 man roster construction.

29 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

They’ll bring him to spring training because they’re paying him. After that, he’ll have to earn whatever playing time he gets. I could see him being traded or released at the end of spring, depending how much or little he shows, but I don’t think anything will happen over the winter. 

He is a good defensive shortstop....if he looks reasonably healthy in spring training, they might get something for him....nobody is going to take on his entire salary but he might have a little value....but only if he shows he's healthy....his comments when he was shut down earlier this season didn't sound encouraging....we'll see...

Cozart might have a shade of value to some team as a defensive replacement at SS/3b but his bat has been so dreadful and he basically admitted that the injury is causing him to change his swing.  

I think there is a chance they release him during the off season when it comes time to protect guys on the 40 man.  If they don't get any indication that he'll be of even remote use, why keep him over a useful arm or young player they're protecting from the R5?

We could have signed a couple free agents and added a couple of other players via waiver wire by the time the roster deadline hits.  

I'll use Taylor Ward as an example.  Odds are that he's not going to make the team or end up an overly useful major league player but at least there's some potential there.  I would rather keep a guy like Ward and get rid of Cozart.  

18 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Cozart might have a shade of value to some team as a defensive replacement at SS/3b but his bat has been so dreadful and he basically admitted that the injury is causing him to change his swing.  

I think there is a chance they release him during the off season when it comes time to protect guys on the 40 man.  If they don't get any indication that he'll be of even remote use, why keep him over a useful arm or young player they're protecting from the R5?

We could have signed a couple free agents and added a couple of other players via waiver wire by the time the roster deadline hits.  

I'll use Taylor Ward as an example.  Odds are that he's not going to make the team or end up an overly useful major league player but at least there's some potential there.  I would rather keep a guy like Ward and get rid of Cozart.  

I just don't see Cozart holding any value to the Angels. He's a fine defender at 3B, SS and 2B, but when you already have Fletcher, Rengifo, La Stella, Thaiss, Ward and even Rojas on the MLB and AAA depth chart, holding onto Cozart only hurts the team because of the spot he takes up on the 40 man.

What are they supposed to do, start Cozart at 3B, La Stella at 2B and keep two of Fletcher, Rengifo and Thaiss back in AAA, where they clearly don't belong (Thaiss could use more time but there's no justification for demoting Fletcher or Rengifo back down to the minor league)?

If the Angels keep Cozart on the 40 man then maybe Eppler's seat as the GM needs to be hot.

Since being shelled by Baltimore in late July, Nick Tropeano is showing much better results at AAA, and I imagine he'll get some innings soon up here soon. He's due to get nearly a couple mil in arb. I believe, and is likely a non-tender, but his option remaining and a strong September might keep him around.

Last 6 starts, 2.97 ERA, .234 BAA, 14 BB, 28 K, 4 HR in 30.1 IP.

Edited by totdprods

16 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Since being shelled by Baltimore in late July, Nick Tropeano is showing much better results at AAA, and I imagine he'll get some innings soon up here soon. He's due to get nearly a couple mil in arb. I believe, and is likely a non-tender, but his option remaining and a strong September might keep him around.

Last 6 starts, 2.97 ERA, .234 BAA, 14 BB, 28 K, 4 HR in 30.1 IP.

yep.  he's been very good of late. still too many walks though.   I wonder if his velo has ticked back up again.  I agree he needs to be getting work at the major league level.  

I don't think his arb number will go up much from the 1mil it's at.  Maybe he gets 1.4 or 1.5.  He also has another option year next year so I think he's got value as a depth guy for next season at that rate.  

He's not someone to rely on by any means, but if he's the 9th or 10th starter available that's fine.  Maybe he can carve out a role in the pen as well.