• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Realistic Angels trade options

Just posting on here for non-twitter users:

@Jeff Fletcher brought up a good thought on realistic pieces the Angels could target.

In the thread he listed "Ray, Boyd, Leake, Duffy, Minor, Syndergaard." (see link above)

We've heard the Angels have checked in on everyone available, and linked directly to Boyd.

Jeff, I do wonder what the Angels would have to include in a package for Thor. Eppler loves velocity which makes sense with him. The Mets were rumored to want a top 30 prospect with a few other solid pieces as well to be included. Our only top 30 is Jo Adell. Who I assume is completely off limits. So the question is would they have to include Marsh in the deal or can they get away without offering him? You mentioned he might not be worth the price as a #1 starter which maybe the price drops. Realistically what would the package look like and can it be done without depleting the farm they spent time to build?

It would be cool (if dreams come true), to have a rotation in 2020 looking like: Cole, Thor, Ohtani, Heaney, Canning, Suarez/Barria/Pena. Would go from near worst to very solid rotation.

Although he's a rental, I still have a feeling Tanner Roark is someone we could see added. Have had a hunch they'd try and bring him back next year or were already planning on pursuing him in FA, and with the cost of rental #4-#5 types so low so far (Vargas and Lyles deals) and our rotation still so depleted, I still think we could see a minor trade to nab Roark to fill out some innings and audition for a 2020 contract.

Joe Gatto and Jeremy Rhoades for Roark probably does it. 

And I still think that, if no one else is willing to pay the price for Ray, Boyd, Syndergaard, Minor, Marlins pitchers, etc., if Eppler is standing there offering up a combination of Marsh/Suarez/Barria, one of Ward/Thaiss/Jones/Walsh/Rojas, one of Jackson/Knowles/Deveaux, and a couple A/A+ arms not named Soriano or Yan, there's a good chance someone agrees at the 11th hour to pull in 2-4 guys, and the Angels get an arm with a focus more on 2020. If it helps in 2019, awesome.

26 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Although he's a rental, I still have a feeling Tanner Roark is someone we could see added. Have had a hunch they'd try and bring him back next year or were already planning on pursuing him in FA, and with the cost of rental #4-#5 types so low so far (Vargas and Lyles deals) and our rotation still so depleted, I still think we could see a minor trade to nab Roark to fill out some innings and audition for a 2020 contract.

Joe Gatto and Jeremy Rhoades for Roark probably does it. 

And I still think that, if no one else is willing to pay the price for Ray, Boyd, Syndergaard, Minor, Marlins pitchers, etc., if Eppler is standing there offering up a combination of Marsh/Suarez/Barria, one of Ward/Thaiss/Jones/Walsh/Rojas, one of Jackson/Knowles/Deveaux, and a couple A/A+ arms not named Soriano or Yan, there's a good chance someone agrees at the 11th hour to pull in 2-4 guys, and the Angels get an arm with a focus more on 2020. If it helps in 2019, awesome.

It's an option, but i'd still like to see them get a solid #2 or #3. Even Thor for example. He's controllable through 2021, has extreme velocity, and he's still just 26 (27 in August). Those are all things Eppler is looking for. He's still in Arb years so it's not like he'll be making $15M per season. That could still allow us to go after Cole in the offseason and then once Pujols come off the books it could allow us to extend Thor. Of course, the Mets will be asking for some premium talent back which is why you're right about the 11th hour type of deal. Angels won't offer Adell, but they might be taking a gamble dealing away Marsh. As long as Marsh and Thaiss aren't included in the deal together I might be able to swallow it. 

All these proposal are so high, i mean can we really afford to lose that much right now?  i dont see it, we have more than one need.  someone tell me how losing a package like the above doesnt perhaps hurt in some areas as much as it helps in others?  WE need that balance of the kids to offset the money guys, we cant just trade them all. 

52 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I’d move Marsh for Thor in a heartbeat provided he wasn’t like, less than 33% of the value in the deal. 

I’d consider Adell if he was 50%+ of the value in a deal for Thor, Wheeler, and Lugo/Diaz. 

Okay so give me a package that involves Marsh. I'd say Marsh, Ward, Jones, Barria, Knowles, and Yan... ?

1 minute ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Okay so give me a package that involves Marsh. I'd say Marsh, Ward, Jones, Barria, Knowles, and Yan... ?

Marsh, Suarez, Adams, and Jones is probably realistic.

No way the Angels give up six prospects for one SP. Four is pushing it, to the point where I'd wonder if they took back Ramos or Frazier as well.

2 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

The Angels should trade Marsh Simmons and Suarez for Snydergaard and Diaz. 

I’d imagine that would be a very competitive offer that the Mets would consider very seriously. 

And a lot of me screams that this is a disaster waiting to happen.  I hate trading fielders for pitchers.  But I am officially radicalized against the existing Angels pitching.  They need to do something dramatic and bold. 

13 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

The Angels should trade Marsh Simmons and Suarez for Snydergaard and Diaz. 

I’d imagine that would be a very competitive offer that the Mets would consider very seriously. 

I'd prefer Lugo over Diaz, and think that’s one lesser Angel prospect short to get it done, but agree in principle.

Edited by totdprods

5 minutes ago, floplag said:

Then perhaps its not a good deal.  I get that were in deep need but man, i just dont see how giving up that much is the right idea.

You're really underestimating the value of Syndergaard. His ERA isn't as pretty this year, and he's not quite as dominant as his intro, but he's been pretty much the exact same Syndergaard this year and last, with his per 9 trends almost identical: 8.7 Hits per 9, 0.7 HR per 9, 2.4 BB per 9, and 9 strikeouts per 9. 
Begrudgingly, I checked in on the ol' trade simulator to see what's up and...those 4 total up to 56, with Syndergaard at 68.5, so it's still short by that measure. Maybe adding the negative value of Ramos and Frazier makes it a little more feasible, and gives the Angels some hope for '19 still.

Couple that with the fact you'd have him for two full seasons, and he has the potential to be better, it's not unrealistic that the Mets are asking a ton for him. Pair with him Ohtani and a realized Heaney and Canning, that's a damn good start. 

But, I agree that it's a lot for one SP - that's a lot of risk for the Angels. Gotta give to get.

40 minutes ago, floplag said:

All these proposal are so high, i mean can we really afford to lose that much right now?  i dont see it, we have more than one need.  someone tell me how losing a package like the above doesnt perhaps hurt in some areas as much as it helps in others?  WE need that balance of the kids to offset the money guys, we cant just trade them all. 

And I agree. But with checking in on someone like Thor i'm just curious what it'd actually take. Obviously we'd lose a lot, but there's no guarantee Marsh ever pans out. Or any prospect ever works out at all. The only reason we've said Adell is off limits is because they believe he WILL work out. Hypothetically, If we do get Thor and are able to sign Cole then Barria and Sandoval/Suarez become moveable pieces and it doesn't impact us at all.