• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels looking to trade market to find help for 2019 and beyond

27 minutes ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

No way to do this without stripping the farm, and I don't see Eppler doing that.

We have enough prospect depth to make a move - Eppler has even said so. He just wasn’t sure when that time would come.

I think he’ll grab someone now to try and stoke a playoff run and boost the team, address one of the two SPs we need to get before 2020 season, and work to fill the long-term roster loss we sustained with Skaggs.

Edited by totdprods

“We do know we have capital,” Eppler said of his club’s ability to pull off such a move. “We have to talk about: Is this the right moment in time? Is the right moment in time a year from now, or is it two years from now? When is the right moment in time? Taking our own temperature for utilizing that is going to be important so that we know exactly what we can and cannot do.”

I think if it doesn’t happen this July, it happens this winter. It’ll come down to cost, but I think we have the pieces to land a controlled arm - something we need for the future - without compromising the farm. It’s a convenient time to cash in on the value of guys like Ward, Walsh, Thaiss, Rojas, Jones, Hermosillo, and Barria, and the lower-level A/A+ arms that have done really well. Rookie Level bats too. Especially with the gift we got in finding La Stella, the production of Fletcher and Rengifo, and Adell’s rapid ascent. Some fortunes have sped up our timeline. 

It’d also be convenient now in that it would help give the team a morale boost, help them push for the WC, help fill the unexpected loss in the rotation, and give them a big safety net this offseason when pursuing free agent arms especially since it didn’t work out well this last year - we couldn’t land the arms we really wanted, and wound up with poor consolation prizes instead. 

Every deadline, weeks out, we hear how available everyone is and how the cost, yet recent years, we see a lot of teams wind up going cheaper routes, standing pat, or paying a less than expected price. I think Eppler will be able to swoop in and get one of these guys for a fair deal. 
Edited by totdprods

I just don't see the utility of paying for that extra half year when there is almost no chance of it having any sort of impact.  Unless you have a chance to get that player who's got more control than just next year.  Otherwise, it's effectively a 1yr rental.  

I'm still a little wary of making a bold move of prospects at this point for another reason.  I feel like that big trade is a supplemental move to getting that big free agent pitcher.  Which pitcher that ends up being helps determine how big you go or need to go on that trade.  For instance, if you get Cole, then maybe you don't need to give up Marsh to get another pitcher.  Or if you don't get Cole, then maybe you go after a top guy that can be extended who you'd otherwise not be able to afford.  

Also, we've got some prospect depth but it's either at the lower levels or it's upper level guys who don't project as potential stars.  Adell is untouchable which essentially makes Marsh our only potential centerpiece.  As much potential as guys like Adams, Soriano, Knowles have, they aren't headliners.  So either you give up more of them or you give up Marsh, or both.  Jones having such a horrible year is a major bummer because he was another potential headliner and with Fletch and Regifo ahead of him, his redundancy would have made a lot more sense in a trade.   In other words, I don't think we can get a front line starter without giving up Marsh.  Which could actually limit our options.  

Another option would be to include Suarez if another team were high enough on him.  

I think if they buy, it’ll be one of three things:

• a really cheap rental for the half-season. Tanner Roark/Jordan Lyles, for a Brennon Lund or Franklin Torres or Cristopher Molina. Someone they may have already anticipated pursuing this winter.
  • an arm with at least ‘20 controlled, likely past that, who is completely unexpected and not really discussed 
  • one of the frequently discussed arms - Boyd, Stroman, et al. - for a price that winds up being far more palatable than expected, and likely with some plans to offer a big extension this winter.

I get what you’re saying @Dochalo about a trade supplementing whoever they sign as a FA, but I think it’s just as realistic they trade first, and then assess who to sign after. There will be a lot more variability in their FA possibilities than the trade market. Eppler doesn’t seem to want to rely on FA that much. I think he’d rather build a safety net via trade first. It allows him to pay a price he wants now rather than being backed into a FA corner or risking a team holding high demands knowing the Angels fell short in Gerrit Cole/others pursuits.

And it just so happens to help the team make a playoff push now, and give them a morale boost.

Edited by totdprods

On 7/18/2019 at 6:40 PM, AngelsWin.com said:

Lucroy said. “If we’re going to hit a guy on purpose, doing it with Noe Ramirez throwing 89 wouldn’t be the guy, for me.

Makes me think Lucroy wanted it to leave a mark. 

21 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I think if they buy, it’ll be one of three things:

• a really cheap rental for the half-season. Tanner Roark/Jordan Lyles, for a Brennon Lund or Franklin Torres or Cristopher Molina. Someone they may have already anticipated pursuing this winter.
  • an arm with at least ‘20 controlled, likely past that, who is completely unexpected and not really discussed 
  • one of the frequently discussed arms - Boyd, Stroman, et al. - for a price that winds up being far more palatable than expected, and likely with some plans to offer a big extension this winter.

I get what you’re saying @Dochalo about a trade supplementing whoever they sign as a FA, but I think it’s just as realistic they trade first, and then assess who to sign after. There will be a lot more variability in their FA possibilities than the trade market. Eppler doesn’t seem to want to rely on FA that much. I think he’d rather build a safety net via trade first. It allows him to pay a price he wants now rather than being backed into a FA corner or risking a team holding high demands knowing the Angels fell short in Gerrit Cole/others pursuits.

And it just so happens to help the team make a playoff push now, and give them a morale boost.

I like the idea of targeting the Reds for the first and second option. Roark would be a decent relatively inexpensive rental to pick up, or maybe someone like Mahle for long term. Local kid, bad era so may l come relatively cheap, but he’s young, has decent stuff, and his FIP and xFIP look good.