• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels, Dodgers beef up 40-man rosters in advance of Rule 5 draft deadline

AngelsWin.com

I'd love to take either Nick Burdi or Mike Ford in the Rule 5 this year.

Im not exactly sure but I think whoever takes Burdi can put him on their 40 man until spring and then stash him on the 60 day DL for the rest of the year.

If we don't get a legit upgrade at 1B (Santana, Abreu, etc) I'd rather give a chance to Mike Ford than sign a guy like Morrison or Alonso and allocate that money elsewhere. He's pretty much what Thaiss is supposed to be, LH bat with some pop and very good plate discipline. Here's his BBR page -  https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=ford--000mik and here's a quick scouting report - https://2080baseball.com/2017/04/2080-prospect-spotlights-4-28-edition/

On 11/20/2017 at 7:41 PM, Chuckster70 said:

Fletch is probably on vacation.

Dodgers? Who gives a shit besides @Troll Daddy?

I care. I am a So Cal fan first, and a baseball fan, close behind. All this interests me. Especially how consistently SUCCESSFUL organizations use the 40 man roster. There is a lot of brainpower in the Dodgers front office. It bears watching.

But, I was rooting for the Astros, I admit. Altuve put me over the top.

1 hour ago, WeatherWonk said:

I care. I am a So Cal fan first, and a baseball fan, close behind. All this interests me. Especially how consistently SUCCESSFUL organizations use the 40 man roster. There is a lot of brainpower in the Dodgers front office. It bears watching.

But, I was rooting for the Astros, I admit. Altuve put me over the top.

I agree.  I know most around here don't like the Dodgers, but they are a model organization in the way they are being run currently under Friedman + Co.  There is a lot to learn from them and emulate, which is why it seems a lot of their FO/coaching staff is being poached now.  Casual observers assume it's because they can throw a bunch of money at their problems.  This is somewhat true, but a lot of those huge money contracts were doled out by Coletti.  I think it was on Fangraphs somewhere, but it showed that the actual contributors to their championship run totaled somewhere around the low 100mils in terms of payroll.  The other 100mil + of payroll (Crawford, Ethier, AGon, Kazmir, etc) were either on the 60 day DL, released, or used as just a pinch hitter.

I also like how heavily they have invested in their FO.  There's a ton of talent up there, and really, it's those guys who are able to really help find/scout undervalued players + prospects who can help continue the team maintain success.  I hope we can expand our front office one day in a similar fashion, as to the best of my knowledge, no luxury tax is required on paying extra guys in the FO ;)