• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

It's this month or never.

The good news, is we have a softer schedule this month. The bad news, no pitcher looks to return until the end of the month. (Weaver is in the pen throwing, then I assume he does a couple rehab games) (Same for Madson)

Now, 'softer' may be too optimistic, but the point stands. 

1) pad wins against the Astros or forget it. (7 games)

2) win the Series against the Mariners. (forget the last one)

3) Royals are in first place, still beatable, win 4 out of seven (7 games)

4) White sox, worse than last year..beatable. must win Series.

5) Cubs, two games, win them both.

Dodgers at the end, we'll see where this team is sitting.

this is the month to gain some ground, and then ideally (June) all hurt pitchers haved returned and we see the offense we expected.

We HAVE to gain ground this month. No way around it.

Agree we can't go .500 we gotta go .800 easiest month by far.

Yes it is the easiest month

I'm being conservative on Weaver, he could be back sooner than the end of the month, That puts (I assume) Williams back in the pen. Is it a long shot? Yes. 

Completely out of the question? Not completely. Keep your eyes on Weaver and Madson.

It's never.  I still love the Angels and watch/attend when I can but let's be honest: they suck.

The pitching sucks, the offense is cold considering the talent it has. That tends to heat up.

Not much you can do about the pitching, except wait for injured to return.

So, we'll take the Division Leaders, the Rangers. Crude stat, but worth a look. Runs allowed by the Rangers 98

Runs scored by the Rangers 137.

Runs scored by the Angels 129, Runs allowed 161

Only 8 runs scored difference between the first and fourth place teams.

So, again, this is THE month to gain some ground. 

And, take a look at the rest of the Divisional games.

The pitching sucks, the offense is cold considering the talent it has. That tends to heat up.

Not much you can do about the pitching, except wait for injured to return.

So, we'll take the Division Leaders, the Rangers. Crude stat, but worth a look. Runs allowed by the Rangers 98

Runs scored by the Rangers 137.

Runs scored by the Angels 129, Runs allowed 161

Only 8 runs scored difference between the first and fourth place teams.

So, again, this is THE month to gain some ground. 

And, take a look at the rest of the Divisional games.

The problem is not the Angels offense, its the pitching. Thats 63 more runs allowed in 30 games. OVER 2 RUNS PER GAME...

Has any team ever been this far under .500 at the end of May and saw the post-season?

I can only right away think of the 1914 Miracle Braves.

Just from what I can find so far...

The 1951 Giants ended April 3-12, but then went 18-9 in May.

Those 1914 Braves were 12-28 as late as June 8, then won 5 in a row. Ended up 94-59 thanks to a .792 winning pct in the 2nd half (61-16).

Thanks Mark

Aggie, the 1994 AL West was so far past putrid, I don't think there is a word to describe it.

Rogers' perfect game was the ONLY real accomplishment all season.

Texas led when the strike ended the season, and they were some 5-10 games under .500.

The division finished some FIFTY games under .500 in just 115 games.

The antithesis to 2002, maybe the BEST post-1993 season in MLB to date, being some 84 games over .500 in 2002 and THREE

teams winning at least 93 games.

Here's the barometer: the Angels have their next 29 games vs. non-elite teams. I'd like to see them back above .500 by the end of that stretch so that going to Boston on July 7th they're at least 30-30. They'd need to go 19-9 to get to .500, which is a tall order but do-able.

Exactly why this team is going nowhere this season. The pitching blows and will continue to blow. Weav coming back will/might help give the rotation another good arm(depending on where his velocity is at when he returns) but that's about it

If Weaver can return mid-month, it puts Williams back in the pen, and ideally Madson is back by the end of the second week.

Do I think we'll gain ground as it stands? No. But I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility, that's all I'm saying