• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Conger....

tj_

We don't have another catcher. How is he expendable?

If we had to we could bring up Hester, not that he is any good, but you have to give something to get something. Also once Dipoto gave Ianetta a three year contract it made Conger a back up catcher for the Angels, nothing more really. I like him and hate that we would have to give him up in order to improve our team, but at this point it might be the right thing to do. He's the exact type of player, cheap and talented, that can bring you back equally talented players in return. As a matter of fact he is our only non-starter that has much if any trade value. I guess you could argue that Jimenez is expendable when Callaspo comes back, but I think he will stick around.

I didn't say pull him at 9. A's weren't dumb enough to have their catcher go that long.

Ok, I'll defend Scioscia here. For starters how was Mike to know the game was going to go 19 innings? Secondly, it's never a good idea to use your back up catcher until the last possible chance, unless of course your starter gets injured. What happens if you bring in Conger, in say the 14th inning then he gets hurt. Who catches? Would it be Howie? Harris? Then you move I guess Trumbo to third and CJ Wilson to first? See it gets really ugly really fast.

Ok, I'll defend Scioscia here. For starters how was Mike to know the game was going to go 19 innings? Secondly, it's never a good idea to use your back up catcher until the last possible chance, unless of course your starter gets injured. What happens if you bring in Conger, in say the 14th inning then he gets hurt. Who catches? Would it be Howie? Harris? Then you move I guess Trumbo to third and CJ Wilson to first? See it gets really ugly really fast.

Catching 19 innings cannot be defended unless it's pre-1960's. 

He will be fine. I am guessing you will see him catch tonight. This is baseball its not like he was subjected to some sort of torture. Oh and if it was pre 1960's that catcher that caught all 19 innings would have been catching the next day. These guys grew up playing tournament ball and I am sure he caught both games of a double header during those tournaments.

Oh and if he pulled Ianetta early and Conger got injured, how do you defend that? Having a guy catch that has never caught in the majors. The only player that may have caught at all in the majors on the Angels is Harris and that is a long shot.

Stuff like this makes the "bring up a third catcher and DH conger/Iannetta" sound like a better idea. In a 19 inning game there's a good chance you've already forfeited the DH anyway. 

Stuff like this makes the "bring up a third catcher and DH conger/Iannetta" sound like a better idea. In a 19 inning game there's a good chance you've already forfeited the DH anyway.

If you had enough versatility with your bench guys, or if your bullpen didn't suck out loud right now or if you had Chris Snyder who has been decent in stretches in the majors I would be all for the 3rd catcher, especially if it got a few more at bats for Conger.

He will be fine. I am guessing you will see him catch tonight. This is baseball its not like he was subjected to some sort of torture. Oh and if it was pre 1960's that catcher that caught all 19 innings would have been catching the next day. These guys grew up playing tournament ball and I am sure he caught both games of a double header during those tournaments.

This!

Yeah and the pitcher would have gone all 19 innings too.