• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Los Angeles Angels GM Jerry Dipoto at the AngelsWin.com Spring Training Fanfest 2014

199.JPG 

One of the highlights of attending the AngelsWin.com Spring Training Fanfest is getting to hear about the team and the offseason from the Angels General Manager, Jerry Dipoto. Not only do we get to ask him questions, the fans can do so as well.

Jerry loves to talk baseball. And, he’s not afraid to take the tough questions. For our fans, he is willing to open up the curtain to show us how things work on the inside.

We love listening to Jerry Dipoto. His stories and insights are part of the highlight to Spring Training for us. After a long offseason, listening to Jerry gets us excited for the upcoming year.

Every Angels fan should watch this video. Whether you attended The AngelsWin.com Spring Training Fanfest or not, you will want to hear Jerry’s takes on things ranging from Mike Trout’s contract extension, to the offseason trades that brought in Hector Santiago and Tyler Skaggs, to the redevelopment of the Angels Dominican Academy to how to handle Joe Blanton. This is a must see prior to the start of the 2014 season.

For those of you who missed out on our #AWFanfest14 this is a MUST watch interview. Dipoto revealed a lot of insight into areas the media has not yet covered, and answered some questions about Pujols and Blanton -- and the Mike Trout contract. 

Definitely some solid questions were answered. Well done.

Really amazes me how other outlets can't seem to get an answer out of the guy, yet angelswin was able to have him answer many questions that have been on our mind for 45 minutes.

Edited by Poozy

This was a great interview, I am kind of shocked that this has been on here for almost 8 hours and no one that wasn't there has watched it and commented on it.

It's possible people aren't sure what to make of it.  Dipoto is a tremendous speaker, he's eloquent and extremely likeable, but to an extent you can't really blame people for taking a wait and see approach given how his actions have failed to line up with some of his previous comments.

As someone who has some very strong feelings regarding Dipoto, both pro and con, I still fully believe he has the right idea and that his master plan is the right direction for the Angels, both short and long term.  I'm hoping this off-season is an indication of his effort to enforce/create his vision of what this team should be, even if it means going against what ownership may have wanted or directed.  The Trumbo trade was a masterpiece, I don't care if it seems Kevin Towers did most of the legwork.  People can wait for results or question the abilities of the players he obtained if they wan't, but his having turned Trumbo into two MLB ready SPs has to rank right up there with Kimera Bartee for Figgins in the all time great Angels trades category.  Getting rid of Vernon Well's was similarly an incredible feat.

His decision to go with the young guys may prove costly, but it's the sort of decision that shows a lot of backbone and an effort to stick to his plan.  I'd fault him more not signing a guy for depth, but as fans we have no idea of what  conversations may or may not have occured, some of those guys may not have wanted to be viewed as simply "depth" and I still believe that some of those guys may find themselves available next week -- check out Erik Bedard's ridiculous comments on his standing in TB if you need to get a glimpse of how delusional some of these guys are.

Since this thread is about Dipoto, I'll go on record here.   I'm not of the belief that the only way he can save his job is to make the playoffs.   The upcoming draft and the development of the players he's brought into the system carry more weight with me than most people.   As critical as I am of his failure to fix the pen his first two years, the Angels problems ran pretty deep.

Looking forward to next year when my work on the East coast will be done and I'm able to go to the ST event and ST in Zona in general.   The Grapefruit league just isn't as fun.

Edited by Inside Pitch

It's possible people aren't sure what to make of it.  Dipoto is a tremendous speaker, he's eloquent and extremely likeable, but to an extent you can't really blame people for taking a wait and see approach given how his actions have failed to line up with some of his previous comments.

As someone who has some very strong feelings regarding Dipoto, both pro and con, I still fully believe he has the right idea and that his master plan is the right direction for the Angels, both short and long term.  I'm hoping this off-season is an indication of his effort to enforce/create his vision of what this team should be, even if it means going against what ownership may have wanted or directed.  The Trumbo trade was a masterpiece, I don't care if it seems Kevin Towers did most of the legwork.  People can wait for results or question the abilities of the players he obtained if they wan't, but his having turned Trumbo into two MLB ready SPs has to rank right up there with Kimera Bartee for Figgins in the all time great Angels trades category.  Getting rid of Vernon Well's was similarly an incredible feat.

His decision to go with the young guys may prove costly, but it's the sort of decision that shows a lot of backbone and an effort to stick to his plan.  I'd fault him more not signing a guy for depth, but as fans we have no idea of what  conversations may or may not have occured, some of those guys may not have wanted to be viewed as simply "depth" and I still believe that some of those guys may find themselves available next week -- check out Erik Bedard's ridiculous comments on his standing in TB if you need to get a glimpse of how delusional some of these guys are.

Since this thread is about Dipoto, I'll go on record here.   I'm not of the belief that the only way he can save his job is to make the playoffs.   The upcoming draft and the development of the players he's brought into the system carry more weight with me than most people.   As critical as I am of his failure to fix the pen his first two years, the Angels problems ran pretty deep.

Looking forward to next year when my work on the East coast will be done and I'm able to go to the ST event and ST in Zona in general.   The Grapefruit league just isn't as fun.

Very good IP. I know Brian, Bruce and I would love to sip on some whiskey and smoke a cigar with you in person at one of our events. 

Definitely some solid questions were answered. Well done.

Really amazes me how other outlets can't seem to get an answer out of the guy, yet angelswin was able to have him answer many questions that have been on our mind for 45 minutes.

Yeah, reminds me of three years ago when the owner of team came out and spoke for 45 minutes. Bill Plunkett who was in attendance for that dinner event said that he was lucky to get 3 minutes out of Arte. That he provided more insight and answers in one night than an entire year of questions from the media. 

Bumping this for the people who didn't attend Fanfest or watch the interview. Jerry telegraphed the move to the crowd in his answer to the question about what the rotation and bullpen would be. Notice who he does not mention.

If you haven't watched this video, along with the Tim Mead Dugout Talk (which is in the process of being posted) you really should prior to the season.