• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

UNLV basketball

Much has been made of the supposed resurrection of UNLV basketball by Coach Dave Rice. I went to their game with Fresno State at the Thomas and Mack Center yesterday. The Rebels started off like they were going to blow the Bulldogs out of the gym, jumping out to a 10-4 lead. Little did we all know that this would be the highlight of the day. I saw a team that lacked desire, did not hustle, jacked up threes from the stratosphere, were poorly positioned defensively and threw wild passes. They were out-hustled all game long by the 14-point underdog Fresno squad, who obviously wanted to win - much more than I saw from the home squad in their last home game, Senior Day. A nine-point loss was the result, and the Bulldogs led by as many as 11 points in the first half.

Assessments around these parts put UNLV either in the NCAA Tournament or on the bubble. What I saw yesterday told me that they don't belong in the field. They have been horrible on the road all year long, and yesterday showed me that they want their season to end. There is still the Mountain West tournament, which I now believe that they will either have to make the finals in or win it, or else it's "Hello, NIT". Coach Rice said after the game that he "saw this coming". Why? Did he know that he didn't have his team ready? For all the platitudes that have been heaped upon this guy, apart from recruiting I just don't see it. The "young team" excuse doesn't wash at this point. By yesterday this team had been together for an entire season, and I saw the same things yesterday that people were complaining about after the first couple of games. This club has no discipline or desire. They have a couple of guys out for individual stats but I don't see much teamwork.

UNLV is in.

It's a lock.

That said, they'll be one and done.

If anyone is in town and wants to place a sports wager, the closest thing to a lock (besides a 1-16 game) is picking against UNLV in the first round, regardless of opponent or location (assuming that they get in).

UNLV knocked off Air Force in the first round of the Mountain West Tournament. If they lose to Colorado State on Friday - which is entirely possible - the selection committee may look the other way.

The team was really flat in the Fresno game and for the most part the crowd was out of the game. There were only about three or four occasions when the Rebels made a play that woke up the crowd. It wasn't the atmosphere I expected. When the team is playing well, the Mack is electric, no doubt about it. It just didn't happen last Saturday.

I loved going to the games in the late 80s with Tark, Augmon, Hunt, Ackles, Johnson, and Anthony.

The reason I was at the game last Saturday was that I won a contest with Sport Clips and I got to take three friends with me. In addition to the game we were given a tour of the basketball training facilities, a pre-game buffet and a spot down on the floor when the team came onto the court. We went through the UNLV Hall of Fame, where photos of the all-time great players from the program hang. It really drives home how many outstanding players have come through Las Vegas.

• 3 weeks later...

Surprising since Bennett is leaving. He must think Wood and Birch will play over him or must not like Rice.

He had an injury during the season, and his playing time was reduced when he returned because he wasn't 100 percent. I read several articles on the transfer, and no one is speculating about the reasons. Coach Rice said only that he and Moser "had talked", and that he told him that he was "grateful" for the two years he gave to the program. One article said that Moser will be eligible immediately wherever he lands, because he is expected to graduate from UNLV this summer.

I know he was injured but still surprising because he would have started on a probable ncaa tourney team. There are talks that cj Wilcox could go to the nba for some reason, if he does Uw could struggle. Uw also gets back two young forwards who saw increased playing time at the end of the year. Moser is better than them but still interesting transfer.