• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels’ Mike Trout feeling ‘great’ with new workout regimen, regular days off

ARLINGTON, Texas — Exactly one year after Mike Trout pulled up between second and third base with an injury that no one knew would be so serious, the Angels superstar feels he’s in a much better place.

Trout has been on a different routine to help preserve his body, and the three-time American League MVP said he can clearly tell a difference.

“I feel great,” Trout said on Tuesday. “The routine I’ve been on has been great. It’s a lot of pregame stuff that I didn’t really focus on before. I came in and did my thing and went out there to play.”

On May 17, 2021, Trout suffered a strained calf that was originally expected to keep him out for about two months. He was close to a return in July, but he suffered a setback that cost him the rest of the season.

Now, Trout said he has a routine both in the trainers’ room and in the gym to help avoid similar soft-tissue injuries.

“It’s just a different mindset to prepare myself for the game,” he said.

Manager Joe Maddon has nonetheless been cautious with Trout’s workload. Trout missed three games with a bruised hand after he was hit by a pitch and one with an illness, and he’s been out of the lineup by the manager’s decision three other times. He pinch-hit in two of those games.

Trout, 30, concedes that the off days are good for him.

“If this was five, six years ago, I’d be like ‘no chance,” Trout said. “But it’s good for my body. My body recovers well, usually after he gives me two days (a game off followed by a scheduled off day). It’s a long season. It’s going to help me for the stretch run in August and going from there.”

Although Trout has not played as much as he did earlier in his career, he’s still performed at his customary level.

Coming into Tuesday’s game, Trout was hitting .310 with a .426 on-base percentage and a .646 slugging percentage. All three of those numbers are better than his career averages.

He’s done it even in a run-scoring environment that has significantly become more pitcher-friendly. His OPS+, which is adjusted for the league averages, is 214, which means he’s been 114 percent better than average. His career OPS+ is 177, and his best single-season mark was 198.

Trout said he hadn’t been feeling great at the plate a few days ago, so he took batting practice on the field on Monday. Normally he only hits in the indoor cage.

“I try to do that about once a month,” Trout said. “It’s good to go out there and see where your ball is going off the bat. When you’re not feeling so good at the plate, it’s good to change it up.”

Trout then hit four balls at 100 mph or harder, the first time he’d done that since 2017. Even though only one of the balls went for a hit, Trout was happy with the swings.

“It felt way better yesterday,” he said.

EVALUATION FOR CANNING

Right-hander Griffin Canning, who is rehabbing a back injury, is still not throwing. He threw a two-inning simulated game on May 9, but he has been unable to progress since then.

“He tried to play catch (Monday) and it didn’t quite go as well as planned,” head athletic trainer Mike Frostad said on Tuesday. “He’s not throwing currently and he’s going to go and follow up with the doctor again (Wednesday).”

SILSETH STICKS

Right-hander Chase Silseth will be back in the Angels’ rotation to make his second career start on Friday at home against the Oakland A’s, who he faced when he pitched six scoreless innings in his debut last weekend.

Maddon said he’s not concerned about the same team seeing Silseth again so soon.

“The guy’s got a good mound presence and attitude and stuff,” Maddon said. “Here’s my stuff. I’m not going to mess around. I’m not going to try to trick you. … That’s what I’ve got with the guy, and I love it. I don’t think it’s going to bother him where he’s pitching or who he’s pitching against.”

Right-hander Michael Lorenzen and left-hander Patrick Sandoval will start on Saturday and Sunday against the A’s. The Angels have another off day on Monday, which means that the other starters will all have at least seven days of rest between outings.

Maddon said he doesn’t anticipate an issue with that.

“We’re looking forward to playing deep into the season and into the playoffs and the World Series at the end of October,” Maddon said. “The more rest you can build up now, it’s going to pay dividends at the end.”

NOTES

Left-hander José Quijada (oblique) threw 20 pitches to hitters on Tuesday and came through it well, Frostad said. Quijada will “most likely” go on a rehab assignment next, Frostad said. …

Right-hander Archie Bradley (abdominal strain) threw a bullpen session on Monday and will throw another on Wednesday, Frostad said. …

The Angels promoted right-hander Cesar Valdez, a 37-year-old journeyman, to provide bullpen depth on Tuesday. Their bullpen was taxed on Monday, when right-handed starter Noah Syndergaard couldn’t get out of the first and right-hander Jaime Barria worked 4-1/3 innings of relief. The Angels sent down right-hander Andrew Wantz to create a spot for Valdez. …

They cleared a spot on the 40-man roster by moving infielder David Fletcher to the 60-day injured list. Fletcher underwent hip surgery earlier this month.

UP NEXT

Angels (RHP Shohei Ohtani, 3-2, 2.78) at Rangers (RHP Dane Dunning, 1-2, 4.06), Wednesday, 5:05 p.m., Bally Sports West, 830 AM

View the full article

• 4 months later...

Injuries always accompany high sports one way or another. My brother is a professional soccer player and he's had two injuries over the years. I think moderation is important in everything. Intense physical activity is completely different from what our body is used to. That's why it reacts with failures, which leads to all kinds of injuries. Personally, I like swimming very much, but I'm not looking for quick results. Swimming is great for building muscles and training breathing - one of the most important things in sports. I also combine taking medications to increase muscle mass with exercise.