• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels non-tender utilityman Phil Gosselin

The Angels non-tendered Phil Gosselin, letting go of a versatile player who often hit in the middle of a short-handed lineup late in the season.

Gosselin was projected to earn about $1.5 million in arbitration. The Angels likely viewed him as expendable because they since acquired utility players Andrew Velazquez and Tyler Wade. Having a healthy Mike Trout and Anthony Rendon in 2022 would also reduce the opportunity for Gosselin.

The Angels tendered the other three arbitration-eligible players: catcher Max Stassi (projected to earn about $2.7 million), right-hander Mike Mayers ($2.2 million) and Wade ($700,000).

Gosselin, 33, hit .261 with a .676 OPS in 345 at-bats in 2021. He was an infielder for most of his career, but the Angels used him in the outfield 40 times last season. He also played 32 games at third and 23 at first.

View the full article

36 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

I'm surprised they kept Mayers. He seemed replaceable at that cost. 

I don’t know about that. He’s nearly a 2 WAR reliever that averages about 10 k per 9 with a walk rate of 3.2. I don’t know if you could find someone like that for cheaper then his price.

Now that we got a solid back end of the bullpen we shouldn’t need him in high leverage spots as much and he will probably do much better more akin to his 2020 numbers.

• 6 months later...